Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Films you have seen at the cinema 2023

IMG_1010.jpeg
#LIFF2023
Film 30: Raging Grace
First in the Day Of The Dead programme, a promising debut - the horror of being a visa-less immigrant in the dark economy, vulnerable to exploitation is a fresh one in the genre. Didn’t quite have the scares for me, but I’m hard to scare.
3 white man’s burdens out of 5

IMG_1013.jpeg
#LIFF2023
Film 32: Chronicles Of Wandering Saint
Slight but amusing Argentine magic realist fable. It has its moments (DJ Sammy’s cheesefest Heaven features in one), but it’s rather forgettable. There is a good dog.
2 overlooked devoted husbands out of 5

IMG_1012.jpeg
#LIFF2023
Film 33: Red Rooms
Horribly tense cyber-thriller that deftly ratchets up the tension (palpable in a packed cinema), yet it blows it all with a distasteful payoff that undermines the points it’s trying to make about our voyeuristic obsession with true crime.
4 bitten fingernails out of 5 for film-making
1 complicit voyeurs out of 5 for the payoff

(the collective tension in the cinema audience was quite something though - haven’t felt like that since watching A Quiet Place)
Also sad that I don’t know anyone going to this festival so I could animatedly discuss it with them afterwards :(

Last edited:
Just back from The Killer.

Absolutely loved it, good entertainment, noirish mood, really enjoyed Fassbender’s focussed, razor sharp performance, and didn’t feel like there was a wasted moment.
Sounds good but, sadly, have to watch on Netflix- missed it at the cinema.

View attachment 398980
#LIFF2023
Film 16: Anatomy Of A Fall
Worthy Palm D’Or Winner about the death of a man and the subsequent murder trial of his widow. It feels almost intrusive that we’re allowed to see these very raw emotions within a family dynamic, but that itself underlies its authenticity.
Excellent acting, particularly from the child and the very good dog (at least I hope it was acting)
4 excruciating arguments out of 5
Saw this today. Recommended - well-acted and gripping.

#LIFF2023
Film 20: Poor Things
BELIEVE THE HYPE! Everything about it is stunning.
Not heard that much laughter in a cinema for a long long time. Hugely entertaining
5 furious jumps out of 5
How close is it to the book? From the reviews I've seen the 2nd half (Bella's own version of events) is missed out?

I think you said you were going to see the doc about The Birthday Party, was that any good? Really fancied it but had to work on a bloody job application.

Saw two classics at LIFF
  • Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 - went to this with my mum and brother (who had not seen it before) all enjoyed it immensely. Just a great classic.
  • The Spider Tattoo - this was showing in one of Leeds most characterful venues, the Howard Assembly Rooms, which was cool in itself (although have confess chairs are more comfy at Vue). A young Japanese woman is tricked/abducted into prostitution, and has a spider tattooed onto her back. She then seeks her revenge on those that have harmed her, driven by the tattoo or just her own personality? Visually it looks great, lots of colours. Similar in some ways to Lady Snowblood but it does not have the driving force of that movie, meaning the lack of plot and character development niggle at points. Still worth watching.

How close is it to the book? From the reviews I've seen the 2nd half (Bella's own version of events) is missed out?

I think you said you were going to see the doc about The Birthday Party, was that any good? Really fancied it but had to work on a bloody job application.
I haven’t read the book, but have reserved it from the library.
I don’t think I’ll get a chance to see the Birthday Party doc, unfortunately

IMG_1016.jpeg
#LIFF2023
Film 34: Zazie Dans Le Metro
Louis Malle’s wacky and visually inventive farce.
It’s all a bit frenetic in a Tex Avery style, but it’s more reminiscent of a tedious Benny Hill chase routine. Ironically, the best thing in it is the bus and Zazie never gets to go on Le Metro. Barely qualifies to be in the selection IMO
2 bofs out of 5

(Confession: this was on too early for me to get out of bed on time, so I watched it on DVD at home)

IMG_1019.jpeg
#LIFF2023
Film 35: Tish
Loved this doc about Tish Murtha, a working class photographer from Tyneside whose talent was eventually thwarted by a cliquey middle class art establishment and, at the end, the punitive austerity regime of 21st Tory Britain. Left the screening livid at such wonton systemic cruelty.
4 policeman kicking kids out of 5

IMG_1020.jpeg
#LIFF2023
Film 36: The Hypnosis
Derivative and underwhelming Scandinavian comedy of embarrassment. Not as cringe-inducing as it wants to be. Lars Von Trier and others do it better
2 invisible dogs out of 5

IMG_1022.jpeg
#LIFF2023
Film 37: The Incident
A reverse Twelve Angry Men on a train.
Two hoodlums terrorise a carriage of stereotypes who reveal their individual ‘weaknesses’ in how they react.
Martin Sheen and Tony Musante are suitably villainous as the thugs.
4 bystander effects out of 5

Last edited:
IMG_1023.png
#LIFF2023
Film 38: The Taking Of Pelham 123
Classic heist thriller with a stellar cast.
One of the greatest final shots ever.
Walter Matthau Walter Matthau Walter Matthau
4 gesundheits out of 5

View attachment 400003
#LIFF2023
Film 34: Zazie Dans Le Metro
Louis Malle’s wacky and visually inventive farce.
It’s all a bit frenetic in a Tex Avery style, but it’s more reminiscent of a tedious Benny Hill chase routine. Ironically, the best thing in it is the bus and Zazie never gets to go on Le Metro. Barely qualifies to be in the selection IMO
2 bofs out of 5

(Confession: this was on too early for me to get out of bed on time, so I watched it on DVD at home)
Also, I swear I spotted a Michel Foucault lookalike in a crowd scene - surely a deliberate reference.
Or maybe there were just a lot of pipe-smoking bald Frenchmen in black turtlenecks in 1960

Did the Picturehouse all-nighter last night, pot luck edition.

Eileen

It kicked off with the UK premier of Eileen, introduced in person by Thomasin McKensie, who plays the eponymous lead. She lives with her horrible dad and has a horrible job going nowhere in the horrible local prison, then her life takes a turn for the interesting when a glamorous new psychologist turns up. Some interesting themes to do with responsibility and guilt, played with a very light touch. Enjoyed it.

The Phantom of the Paradise

1974 rock opera directed by Brian de Palma, scored by and starring Paul Williams. Surprised I'd never seen this. Absurd, kitsch and full of energy, and I loved the music. There's a serious point underneath the absurdity with a scathing indictment of the exploitative nature of the music industry. A rare thumbs-up from me for a musical, although nobody breaks out into song for no reason, which is my usual problem with them.

High Noon

Long time since I'd seen this. Had forgotten about the moral debate in the church. I'm not entirely on Gary Cooper's side here. The shootout at the end is a bit rubbish really, let's be honest.

They Live

John Carpenter's take on body snatchers complete with sledgehammer-subtle political messaging. The whole thing falls apart if you think about it for longer than, well, seconds. The most pointlessly long fight scene ever.

Paddington

Twee by-the-numbers heartwarming British family fare featuring all the usual suspects and all the usual tourist board check points. I guess it's done well. Probably good that I was tired by then so it didn't annoy me too much.

When we first started these threads (might have been me who did the first one , can't remember or be arsed to check 😎) I saw maybe a film a week , sometimes more. Stopped going regularly maybe 5 years ago , don't know why tbh.

But this year I have now seen 2!

The Barbie movie , which I did enjoy , despite being possibly the only 50something male in rhe audience 😆

And yesterday, we saw Saltburn , again , enjoyed it , despite feeling anxious throughout , due to the cringing at the early part at university, and then the 2nd half (which involves some death)

Just been to see The Innocents (1961), a psychological horror with Deborah Kerr as a governess looking after two children in a big pile of a stately home, lots of creaking floorboards and spooky sounds.

I’m not great at horror films in general, being a bit of a scaredy cat, this was pretty good though. I only audibly gasped with shock three times

Reactions: Sue

Went to see Dream Scenario this morning.
Closer to Adaptation than Con Air for you Nick Cage fans.

Made me laugh. Black Humour. Nick's character starts appearing in people's dreams and becomes internet famous. These dreams turn to nightmares and people begin to hate him IRL with some funny/sad on the way.

3.5 tenured professorships out of 5

Went to see Dream Scenario this morning.
Closer to Adaptation than Con Air for you Nick Cage fans.

Made me laugh. Black Humour. Nick's character starts appearing in people's dreams and becomes internet famous. These dreams turn to nightmares and people begin to hate him IRL with some funny/sad on the way.

3.5 tenured professorships out of 5
The last bit was kind of meh but yeah.

Also the most excruciating sex(ish) scene I've seen in quite some time.

And yesterday, we saw Saltburn , again , enjoyed it , despite feeling anxious throughout , due to the cringing at the early part at university, and then the 2nd half (which involves some death)
Ah that now makes sense. Saw a headline about an actor not being able to speak at a premiere with something about Saltburn. I didn't read the article but was wondering whether there was a cinema there and why would they do a premiere in a very small NE seaside town.

Overall, I also enjoyed it, but would I recommend it? - not sure I would. Can I explain my reasoning- not sure I can or, at least, not so easily. I think you're right about the cringing etc...

The last bit was kind of meh but yeah.

Also the most excruciating sex(ish) scene I've seen in quite some time.

Yeah I agree.

RE: the bit in the spoiler code - there were about 10 people in the cinema when we went and we all pissed ourselves laughing at that bit, including lil'Angel who was with me.

Reactions: Sue
Fallen Leaves - Latest (maybe last? :() Aki Kaurismäki film., it's not a break in style but when you have such a great style who wants that. Funny, poignant, moving, political. Visually a treat. Just a great way to end the Leeds International Film Festival

Fallen Leaves - Latest (maybe last? :() Aki Kaurismäki film., it's not a break in style but when you have such a great style who wants that. Funny, poignant, moving, political. Visually a treat. Just a great way to end the Leeds International Film Festival
I’ve just booked to see that on a freebie next week.

I have just come out of Anatomy on a Fall which was great. I wasn’t expecting a largely courtroom based drama to be as captivating as that. Lots of questions still.

And then after a short break The Eternal Daughter which was a bit meh for me though admittedly it’s not really my genre.

Not impressed by Saltburn. A poor mash up of Brideshead Revisited and Kind Hearts and Coronets.
I thought it was okay -- given it's not really my kind of thing -- but the whole wrapping stuff up in the last third was way too neat (and unbelieveable).

I thought it was more like a cross between BHR and The Go-Between.

(It did capture the whole posh, rich and appalling thing very well I thought.)

Back
Top Bottom