Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Films for the Year of the Dragon

Yossarian

⏭️
Trying to decide on a film with dragons to welcome Chinese New Year with - Reign of Fire looks like one good possibility

Everyone knows that dragons are awesome. Terrifying, fire breathing, clever, everything you could want from a monster. So why are films about dragons, in general, so shit?

Reign of Fire has a good premise but fails to live up to it as a film.

I couldn't recommend anyone goes out of their way to watch Eragon, Dragonheart or Dragonslayer. The Hobbit was jaw droppingly rubbish.

There's a bunch of kids films with dragons, How to Train Your Dragon and Raya and the Last Dragon both great kids cartoons, but probably not what your looking for. I could happily never watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ever again.

Enter the Dragon and Red Dragon are both sorely lacking in dragons.

I love cheesy old Godzilla films, including Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster but I guess there's a debate if that counts as a dragon film.

That episode of Game of Thrones where Daenerys sets her dragons on Kings Landing has some excellent dragon action, but is otherwise a bit shallow.

So what would I recommend? Fuck it, watch Spirited Away for a completely non traditional dragon...

030310_1350926.png.1500x1005_q95_crop-smart_upscale.png

There's a bunch of kids films with dragons, How to Train Your Dragon and Raya and the Last Dragon both great kids cartoons, but probably not what your looking for. I could happily never watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ever again.

Thanks for the recommendations - will be watching with 12-year-old son so kids films are definitely a possibility, though we've seen Raya and the How to Train Your Dragon ones multiple times. I'd forgotten about the Spirited Away dragon, guess that might be why a local cinema is showing it on Sunday

Ghibli did Tales From Earthsea too, flawed but good. Bit scary but my younger kids have watched it.

Trying to decide on a film with dragons to welcome Chinese New Year with - Reign of Fire looks like one good possibility
One of those times when the film itself sorely undelivered on the trailer and poster (cf Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)

Back
Top Bottom