Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite TV show theme tunes

The best Star Trek theme:

This sequence is a distortion of the history of human spaceflight.

Many of the "firsts" in space travel were achieved by the USSR/Russia, but all we see here are US missions, even when they were not the first. The Mercury/Redstone sub-orbital "hop" shown here was rather pathetic, when the USSR had already put someone in orbit.

The only tragedies shown are US tragedies, when the USSR also lost space travellers.

If it were not for the Soyuz spacecraft, which was first developed in the 1960s, the USA would have had no way of putting people in the International Space Station for many years.

We could also have done without the glorification of the might of the imperial US Navy.

This was reason puppet sidekicks started to appear in the broom cupboard (and becomes a staple of on screen BBC children's TV continuity announcements).
To promote this show Philip Schofield had S.I.D. sit in with him. I think just for just one day with Kenneth Williams doing the voice (and an on screen interview). I 'think' the S.I.D. puppet prop remained for a day or two (silent, becuse Williams was obviously not there anymore). Philip then pretended S.I.D. was just off camera and conversed with him. 'Robotic' arms later helped out holding picture and signs, and very soon S.I.D. became Sid, a silent butler (or something) that sometimes even stood on screen (not showing his face), but was mostly just a white gloved hand. At some point the gopher puppet was added and they soon didn't bother with Sid anymore.

This show is very rarely talked about when people reminisce about 80s programmes but the full theme tune is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom