Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farewell to the InterCity 125?

At least it's running on the GCR so can get a bit of speed on! (think they have a 40mph limit, faster than most preserved lines)

It's the usual light-railway speed limit of 25mph with passenger trains, but up to 60 when not carrying passengers AFAIK - which is why the GCR has a nice sideline as a test track for main line trains, and also how it can run the demonstration travelling post office, complete with mail pick-up at speed:

9796845_orig.jpg

It's the usual light-railway speed limit of 25mph with passenger trains, but up to 60 when not carrying passengers AFAIK - which is why the GCR has a nice sideline as a test track for main line trains, and also how it can run the demonstration travelling post office, complete with mail pick-up at speed:

9796845_orig.jpg
Got to be worth a video:

9796845_orig.jpg

The Great Central will be deffo worth a trip with cameras when the bridge over the Midland Mainline goes in and the two halves of the GCR are joined up

Nine years after this thread was started, the 125s are celebrating their 40th year of operation.

The High Speed Train, or Intercity 125, is celebrating its 40th year of operation.

As part of the celebrations, six engines were on display in Bristol, and the very first HST was renamed Sir Kenneth Grange, after the man who designed it.

Nearly 5,000 people turned up to take a look.

For anyone interested in these fine machines - we are now into the last few weeks that they are operating out of Paddington.

If you want to get a last go on one on the Great Western main line - the very last regular services will be on the 18th of May.

They will still be running on the ECML, EMT and Crosscountry routes for a bit so it's not quite the end yet.

There are also a bunch of HSTs being refurbished and formed into shorter sets (4 or 5 carriages instead of 8 or 9) and used on secondary routes - in Scotland and a few down in the West Country. These sets are being updated to modern standards, so toilets that don't dump stuff on the tracks, better disabled access, and power doors replacing the slam doors, which means no more droplights (boo).

Saw the one that’s been done out in the old Intercity livery today, they looked good in those colours.

yeah, saw the blue one at OOC open day last year. They should do full sets in those colours!

(I will add that the two old guys on the footbridge with us taking photos/pictures of Duchess of Sutherland were probably less impressed by the HST’s photobombing antics, but my three year old loved it, more so than the kettle!)

HST update.

They finished on Great Western earlier this year. They are now about to come to the end on the ECML (ie out of Kings Cross).

I travelled on the last ever one from Inverness to London on Monday. Here it is at the beginning and end of its journey.

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 20.50.04.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-12 at 20.50.36.jpg

The last scheduled services in and out of Kings Cross will be this coming Sunday (15th December).

To their massive credit, LNER are not only running a 'farewell tour' around their network next week but painting a set into the original blue/grey British Rail colours for the occasion. It'll look great - some in progress photos:

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 20.47.20.jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 20.48.03.jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 20.48.10.jpg

I’m not a train fan rally, this does make me a little sad though. As others said above they were part of some of my most significant life events.

Still running on cross country, GWR regional services (as shirt sets) and in Scotland (heavily refurbished). A few more years in them yet!

I still want to see a set formed with Mk3 sleeper coaches, although voltage incompatibilities mean it will stay In my head only.

Still running on cross country, GWR regional services (as shirt sets) and in Scotland (heavily refurbished). A few more years in them yet!

I still want to see a set formed with Mk3 sleeper coaches, although voltage incompatibilities mean it will stay In my head only.
They will run on east midlands trains for a bit yet. The crosscountry, gwr and scotrail refurbed versions remove the droplights, which kills some of the appeal for me. It's good that they will live on in some form for a while yet though.

I must find an opportunity to see these before their final end ... but I miss the turbo-scream ...

And especially the one done out as a "Blue Pullman" - that's lovely !

Somewhere I've got a shot of the all yellow Network Rail one (I saw a video of that going past the Osprey nest near Dovey Junction) - truly the flying banana.

Had one almost photobomb the Duchess of Sutherland at our local station a while back (the HSTs were on diversion along the Tyne Valley)

My connection with them goes back to their original development. Coming back home one afternoon, I crossed over the railway on the footbridge and caught sight of ithe test train parked up in the station sidings ... I wandered over and had a good grice. My attentions were rewarded with a look in the cab and having a few questions answered. Unfortunately, by the time I got back with my trusty instamatic they were just heading back to Swindon and the images were failures (so I might as well have not had the camera) My brother and father were both * somewhat * miffed ...

I must find an opportunity to see these before their final end ... but I miss the turbo-scream ...

And especially the one done out as a "Blue Pullman" - that's lovely !

Somewhere I've got a shot of the all yellow Network Rail one (I saw a video of that going past the Osprey nest near Dovey Junction) - truly the flying banana.

Had one almost photobomb the Duchess of Sutherland at our local station a while back (the HSTs were on diversion along the Tyne Valley)

My connection with them goes back to their original development. Coming back home one afternoon, I crossed over the railway on the footbridge and caught sight of ithe test train parked up in the station sidings ... I wandered over and had a good grice. My attentions were rewarded with a look in the cab and having a few questions answered. Unfortunately, by the time I got back with my trusty instamatic they were just heading back to Swindon and the images were failures (so I might as well have not had the camera) My brother and father were both * somewhat * miffed ...
What a beauty

Today is the very last day for 'original' HSTs running in normal public service. The last one will be from St Pancras to Leeds leaving around 8pm this evening.

I would have liked to do a few runs on them over the past few months but covid prevented that. I'd thought of doing one this week but it seems they are heavily policed with staff telling everyone to stay in their seats, so wouldn't have been able to do my last trip standing by an openable window and decided it wouldn't be worth it.

Very sad day - will miss these.
As I've mentioned, I saw the HST from prototype testing and spent many happy hours travelling on them, up and down the country.
I can't forget that Valenta roar and turbo scream when pulling out of a Station, was a shame the re-engineering removed that trademark.

Those pesky azuma's are in no way an acceptable substitute !

You can of course still travel on them, in somewhat neutered form, on ScotRail, Crosscountry or GWR for some time yet.

And I'll look forward to the 125 getting a proper Valenta back in action eventually.

Did i read some had been recalled to run services due to these faulty hitachi’s?
I think they've extended some routes of the already modified GWR ones in the West Country.

But you might be thinking of the electric 225 sets, some of which have been put back into action on the east coast.

Back
Top Bottom