Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

InterCity 125 designer Kenneth Grange knighted

See, Editor, this is what you are missing out on! Multiple Random Fanny!
img_panel_1350906071.jpg

This is the age of the train

paolo said:
During a brief - *and shall never be mentioned again* - time as a school kid spotter, I remember hearing 125s 'sing' at Paddington. The turbos made a kind of 'choir' sound.

They still run of course, but, as ed says, the carriages are all fucked up. :(

At school, yes, yes, at school. Yes, yes, you gave it up, yes, I see ;)

The Midland Main Line (East Midlands Trains) - still have the smartened up , as built seat configuration - the very best of a good build of trains.

Course I remember them coming into service , - along with the 20p Express Burger and 20p chips - with the (short lived) draught beer....

As A taxpayer i didnt mind my money being spent on things like railway investment on the other hand I deffinatly object to my money being spent on bankster bailouts and trident replacement :)

Anyone watched this?

I watched the first half yesterday, before longdog dragged me to the pub. Features considerably too much Jimmy Savile, but aside from that it's really rather good.

They were riddled with white and blue asbestos which is why none of the blue pullmans survived into presevation

Which did not stop the breakers at Giants Graveyard , Briton Ferry near Neath , - burning them out in the open air before cutting them for scrap. Health and Safety in the 1970's - discuss !! ?

They were riddled with white and blue asbestos which is why none of the blue pullmans survived into presevation
It's a pity that the wedge shape tables (one of the things which made the blue pullmans so comfortable for long journeys) weren't used in later designs.

Which did not stop the breakers at Giants Graveyard , Briton Ferry near Neath , - burning them out in the open air before cutting them for scrap. Health and Safety in the 1970's - discuss !! ?
^:eek:

Radioactive water evaporated on a regular basis as a "safe" method of disposal from the rooftops of buildings owned by ******** ************* right into the 1980s - discuss. Or rather, don't, as I'm not sure whether I'm even safe to mention it here with the firm's name in asterisks. But I know that it happened, and I know that it was known to a few middle rank chemists in the Civil Service. BTW I'm not covered by the official secrets act and just happened to overhear a half private conversation

if you press f5 to refresh it shows a different fanny, then if you refresh again it says "copyright violation logged" with a crossed out train pic, so it must be some kind of script that stops you hot linking to the image.

^:eek:

Radioactive water evaporated on a regular basis as a "safe" method of disposal from the rooftops of buildings owned by ******** ************* right into the 1980s - discuss. Or rather, don't, as I'm not sure whether I'm even safe to mention it here with the firm's name in asterisks. But I know that it happened, and I know that it was known to a few middle rank chemists in the Civil Service. BTW I'm not covered by the official secrets act and just happened to overhear a half private conversation
You mean something similar to the radioactive waste discharged from Windscale/sellafield or whatever they call it this week thats been found round much of the Irish coast and as far as Scandinavia??

You mean something similar to the radioactive waste discharged from Windscale/sellafield or whatever they call it this week thats been found round much of the Irish coast and as far as Scandinavia??
I mean that there's a firm near the Herts/Bucks border which regularly placed large containers of radioactive water (used AFAIK for markers in tests) on the roof and evaporated it off. It noticeably raised radioactivity levels downwind whenever the firm did it. I can't remember which branch of the civil service knew that this was going on (the section changed names a few times), but it was known of and was kept pretty quiet.

I mean that there's a firm near the Herts/Bucks border which regularly placed large containers of radioactive water (used AFAIK for markers in tests) on the roof and evaporated it off. It noticeably raised radioactivity levels downwind whenever the firm did it. I can't remember which branch of the civil service knew that this was going on (the section changed names a few times), but it was known of and was kept pretty quiet.

Wonder how much more of this sort of thing still goes on or went on with it being kept quiet.....especially if you are the poor sod living or working downwind of this

Wonder how much more of this sort of thing still goes on or went on with it being kept quiet.....especially if you are the poor sod living or working downwind of this
With you on that; unfortunately money talks and the official secrets act doesn't encourage whistle-blowing.

Heading to the scrapyard :(

Decisions on the future of stored High Speed Trains will be made in the near future, after the first seven Mk 3s were sent for scrap.

It is also likely that the current East Midlands Railway HST fleet, due for withdrawal at the end of 2019 but which received dispensation to remain in traffic until July 28 this year, will be sent for scrap apart from two power cars donated to the 125Group (43048 and 43089).

Vehicles from former LNER set EC64, owned by Porterbrook and withdrawn last November, were taken to Newport Docks on January 23 for scrapping by Sims Metals. These will be the first HST coaches to be scrapped that had not been written off in an accident.

Moved from Tyne Yard were Trailer Restaurant First Buffet (TRFB) 40805, Trailer First (TF) 41068, 41112, Trailer Standard (TS) 42194, 42225/227 and Trailer Guard Standard (TGS) 44027.

A Porterbrook spokesman told RAIL that those moved west were a “trial scrapping” but confirmed that discussions needed to be made regarding the other vehicles stored at Long Marston and Laira. He said it was likely that some of those in better condition would be re-used, but that many would be scrapped.

I've got a really soft spot for these.
I used to live in Chippenham.
One day I found the prototype HST parked up in the exchange sidings, accompanied by plenty of fitters. Nothing wrong, just arranging to go back to Swindon while keeping out of the way of service trains.
I spent some time looking around, the conducted 15/- tour even went in the cab ...
I well remember the turbo scream on the Valentas from many trips around the country ( and where I now work is next to the Tyne Valley line - where the 37 pulled on for speeding - and having them on diversion was always a treat for the ears, the newer engines, not so much)

TiG - diverted HST
par StoneRoad2013, on ipernity

Back
Top Bottom