Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

125cc motorbikes.

I'm looking at doing my CBT very soon. I wanted to get a vespa, but think it's going to be out of my range and I've started to look at second hand bikes. If anyone has any recommendations on websites/dealers that are reliable I'd appreciate it. I'd like to have somewhere to go back to if someone goes wrong.

I'd maybe get a proper bike, like a Honda CG125, Suzuki SR125, Yamaha 125 or something initially. A bike with gears, as it'll put you in good stead for getting a bigger bike if you fancy in the future.

Vespa's are great, but limited, and expensive like you say.

I'd maybe get a proper bike, like a Honda CG125, Suzuki SR125, Yamaha 125 or something initially. A bike with gears, as it'll put you in good stead for getting a bigger bike if you fancy in the future.

Vespa's are great, but limited, and expensive like you say.

Thanks. Someone that I know has a proper bike for the same reason. I think the main reason I want a Scooter is I'll probably just get a bigger one of those if I do upgrade. I work in the community too so something comfortable that I can zip around on is pretty tempting. It should be okay going on an A road for an hour too right? I guess the best bet is to try both when I'm on the CBT if possible.

I was looking at the Honda PCX today as it was slightly cheaper. I was surprised that the insurance was nearly £1000 though, but I guess not having off road storage doesn't help.

Last edited:
Think I'm going for the PCX. I will try a bike a normal manual bike at the CBT centre though just to have a feel of it.

Any recommendations on locks/security measures? I also plan to get a cover. I'm quite excited.

Think I'm going for the PCX. I will try a bike a normal manual bike at the CBT centre though just to have a feel of it.

Any recommendations on locks/security measures? I also plan to get a cover. I'm quite excited.
When I had smaller bikes they were constantly targeted. You have to not only lock the bike but lock it TO something as it can be picked up quite easily otherwise (eg pick up the back end and wheel the front if the back has a lock round it).

Having a kickstart bike was quite an effective security measure as they could never figure it out so just dumped it when they got bored of carrying it. That's probably not much help though.

Current 550 gets zero attention from bike pests. Far too heavy.

Oh and also, put the cover on as much as you possibly can - covered bikes are weirdly far less likely to get nicked.

Look for a cover that is both waterproof, and won't melt on a hot exhaust. You can tell yourself you'll go back out once the bike has cooled down and put the cover on, but in reality you won't.

Yeah this is a concern of mine as no off street parking, and I work in the community so will be parking it around a lot! The Oxford covers seem pretty common. I might be able to get it through to our small front garden and put the bins in front of it.

I think a 125 is a little slow for safety on A roads, if you can't keep up 60mph on hills you are going to have a queue of cars and vans behind you looking for ways to get past.

I think a 125 is a little slow for safety on A roads, if you can't keep up 60mph on hills you are going to have a queue of cars and vans behind you looking for ways to get past.

Yeah I've heard mixed things! I'll mainly use it for a trip down to Bridgwater which is 40-50 minutes apparently. I guess if it doesn't work out then I'll go for my full licence, but it's a good first step. Will be really handy for work too.

In regards to it getting stolen, I've had to accept my bicycle can go at any time so it's the same for the scooter I guess. I'll definitely look into an anchor in the front garden if I can.

25 years after I last rode a bike, and having never had a full licence (yes, I know, I was a total bastard for riding without a licence :( ), I've decided to buy a 125 and do the test.
I used to mostly (showing how old I am) ride a Honda 250N "SuperDream", although when I was in Germany, I rode a BMW R60. I prefer a bike with a larger frame, and not a sports bike looking effort (uncomfortable riding position for portly fellows, don'tcherknow!), so does anyone have any 125 recommendations? I don't intend to keep it any longer than it takes to pass the test, but I've noticed that 2nd-hand Japanese 125s seem to hold their prices quite well - is this something to do with all the Chinese bikes on the market, and are any of the Chinese 125s any good?

And before anyone asks, no I don't want a scooter! :D
25 years? Buy a 125 for sure. Take it easy. The roads and traffic ain't like they were. You will see many drivers at speed looking down at their phones. You don't want a big heavy bike yet. :)

Yeah I've heard mixed things! I'll mainly use it for a trip down to Bridgwater which is 40-50 minutes apparently. I guess if it doesn't work out then I'll go for my full licence, but it's a good first step. Will be really handy for work too.

In regards to it getting stolen, I've had to accept my bicycle can go at any time so it's the same for the scooter I guess. I'll definitely look into an anchor in the front garden if I can.

About £12 for a sack of post-crete (concrete mix for setting posts. Dig hole, set anchor or post, pour in powder, add water, leave to set), and about £20-30 for a fuck-off big anchor. Well worth it.

Had crazy thoughts last night that I'd quite like an e motorbike. They aren't actually that expensive, but with a top speed of 30mph are for town use only which. I believe they can be unrestricted to go closer to 40.

The insurance for one is close to what I pay for my 2.0L 174hp Passat though, which does make it a more expensive toy.

Had crazy thoughts last night that I'd quite like an e motorbike. They aren't actually that expensive, but with a top speed of 30mph are for town use only which. I believe they can be unrestricted to go closer to 40.

The insurance for one is close to what I pay for my 2.0L 174hp Passat though, which does make it a more expensive toy.

You can get e-motorbikes that go much, much faster than that. :confused:

You can get e-motorbikes that go much, much faster than that. :confused:

Sure, but not as cheap as this little thing

1705842444364.png

Sure, but not as cheap as this little thing

View attachment 409156

Yes indeed.

Quite amazing that the motor has identical max wattage to a run of the mill hairdryer.

My e-MTB in its derestricted form will match that bike's top speed and and has a potential range of 50miles.

It's also cheaper.

.. and I’m guessing it looks a lot like a pushbike, which many would consider a benefit.

My e-MTB in its derestricted form will match that bike's top speed and and has a potential range of 50miles.

It's also cheaper.

And doesn't need to be insured to be on the road which is a nice bonus. :)

When you say potential I assume that's with you peddling as well?

And doesn't need to be insured to be on the road which is a nice bonus. :)

When you say potential I assume that's with you peddling as well?
Yes, I have to admit you need to pedal most of the time to get 50 miles out of it. I seem to get just over 40 miles here on the North Downs with varying levels of assist depending on the steepness.

Of course, you can always just use leg power alone but it's a hefty beast (35kg) so you get a good workout that way! But if the battery runs down completely you can always pedal home.

Yes, I have to admit you need to pedal most of the time to get 50 miles out of it. I seem to get just over 40 miles here on the North Downs with varying levels of assist depending on the steepness.

Of course, you can always just use leg power alone but it's a hefty beast (35kg) so you get a good workout that way! But if the battery runs down completely you can always pedal home.

Not quite like for like then, but still pretty cool. How hard was it to unrestrict? I assume provided you don't drive it faster then it should be on roads, that's not an issue?

I quite fancy an e-scooter, but the idea of getting six points on my car license for using one does not appeal.

not that it’s ever going to happen, but in an ideal world the granting of motorbike licenses should take into account individual driving and riding histories. I have had a full driving licence for more than thirty years now without a single accident to my name. And in addition I have also legally ridden 50cc and 125cc bikes continuously for about two decades (the former without any training thanks to my driving licence, and the latter thanks to the piss-easy CBT one day course).

And to compound it all, for the last four years I have been riding a 400cc three-wheeler as a car driving licence holder. And at least I had ample previous experience of riding motorcycles. Anyone with a car licence issued before 2013 can literally walk into a dealership and ride off on a 500cc three wheeler even if they couldn’t even ride a bicycle.

But despite all of the above, I would still have to go through the ful motorcycle license course process if I wanted as much as riding a 125cc with a pillion at the back. Despite having far more experience and proficiency than shit loads of new riders on CBTs.

Not quite like for like then, but still pretty cool. How hard was it to unrestrict? I assume provided you don't drive it faster then it should be on roads, that's not an issue?

I quite fancy an e-scooter, but the idea of getting six points on my car license for using one does not appeal.
I haven’t derestricted mine. It’s currently configured to comply with UK legislation so it only provides power up to 15.5mph and doesn’t have the throttle fitted. It’s fine for me as I’m aiming to ride on bridleways and farm roads and don’t need the extra speed.

On tarmac roads with any downhill stretches it’s relatively easy to use gravity and a little pedal assist to get it to 25+ mph even in its current set up. Maybe it’s just me but I’m not that comfortable riding it above 30mph even though I have a few times.

It’s a fairly simple process to derestrict it. From memory, there’s a wire in the controller box to disconnect and you might need to delve deep into the settings menu. That’ll give you the full 750 watts of power and allow it to continue to provide power above 15.5mph. You can also put a throttle (which came with the bike) on the handlebars so you don’t need to pedal at all although that’s the biggest giveaway that it’s not compliant.

People who have done that to my model say it’ll do somewhere between 30 and 35 mph as a twist and go.

Back
Top Bottom