Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farewell to the original Thameslink trains

What is going on with the First Class bits - do they have softer seats? I think maybe they do, that and the little antimacassars with the words First Class embroidered onto them, which make me feel quite important when I sit there (the trains that pass through LJ always announce that the first class carriage is not in use meaning anyone can use them).

we have 2 network engineers flying in from Switzerland tomorrow that chose to land at Luton airport (2 hours away from work), instead of Gatwick (8 mins away :facepalm:) so they will have at 1-2 hour journey on one of these newfangled ones, I cant imagine they are going to be in the greatest of moods by the time they arrive but will report back with their views if i can remember

What is going on with the First Class bits - do they have softer seats? I think maybe they do, that and the little antimacassars with the words First Class embroidered onto them, which make me feel quite important when I sit there (the trains that pass through LJ always announce that the first class carriage is not in use meaning anyone can use them).
I usually sit there from LJ too. I'm not sure they are any softer. They do have tables though. In the old trains, first was genuinely more comfortable than standard. Also, because it wasn't usually announced that first class is declassified, not so many people knew you were allowed to sit in them, so it was more fun doing so than it is now.

my review of the new ones: Seats are hard and uncomfortable, colours and atmosphere is sterile. Big windows though, which are good
I travelled on one for the first time yesterday. I found the seats no less comfortable than those in other trainsets. I don't remember seeing any tables; if there are none, that sucks a bit. A lot of information on the display panels including even load factors in each car (perhaps a bit pointless in an 'open plan' trainset as surely passengers will naturally spread along to occupy space more evenly).

I prefer the traditional rolling stock though. This felt like a glorified Bakerloo Lane Underground set.

They've been designed to maximise capacity, including standing space. This is why there are no tables (and also why it's a continuous space without separation between carriages). From that point of view the design seems fairly successful, as it seems a bit easier now to get on to the packed morning rush hour trains at LJ, although I expect that any extra capacity will eventually just get filled up. They also have wider doors, which open and close more quickly, which is supposed to speed up the time it takes for people to get on and off at stations.

They are. I scientifically researched this the other day, think there's at least a third more softness in the first class seats, and also the headrest is broader and more cushioned.
I'll attempt to verify your findings on my next trip.

They are. I scientifically researched this the other day, think there's at least a third more softness in the first class seats, and also the headrest is broader and more cushioned.
do you use the auld royal arse imperial measurement or the new eu commissioner's arse metric measure for the softness?

When they get the core up to 24tph, they really should add it to the tube map. St.P to London Bridge and Elephant, at least.

When they get the core up to 24tph, they really should add it to the tube map. St.P to London Bridge and Elephant, at least.

TfL dont like that , as it will abstract flows from them - say Kings Cross to London Bridge - hence drop in Oyster cash apportionment.

Odd really - as the very late TLK project was all about congestion busting and so on , - but then that was in a non contract / "real railway" world with no franchises etc.

Well its not like you need the AC really.

The 319's have proper bogies - double the number of wheels - travelled on old friend 319362 a little while ago on the fast Manchester to Liverpool , - what was the dog of the fleet seemed to be enjoying a new life in a less stressed environment. Proper clean too ....

No it didn't.

The train had a driver. It even said so further into the article. Misleading headline and inaccurate terminology as the press feel.it must dumb things down / sensationalize etc. for the masses else fear losing them.

What in fact happened is that Thameslink ran it's first ATO train.

'Driverless' is in scare quotes which to me indicates it was not literally without driver.

You have a superfluous apostrophe in your last sentence.

'Driverless' is in scare quotes which to me indicates it was not literally without driver.

You have a superfluous apostrophe in your last sentence.
Autocorrect now manually corrected.

To me the quotes insinuate that people commonly refer to them as driverless. People are wrong. Why are they commonly wrong? Because of newspapers popularising these terms primarily.

No it didn't.

The train had a driver. It even said so further into the article. Misleading headline and inaccurate terminology as the press feel.it must dumb things down / sensationalize etc. for the masses else fear losing them.

What in fact happened is that Thameslink ran its first ATO train.

Yes , I was on it ....(along with various railway suits and the Media) ..

So when headlines said the world was flat that was accurate was it?
If people commonly referred to the world as flat, and a headline insinuated that people commonly referred to the world as flat, then that headline would be accurate, yes.

Back
Top Bottom