Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2024

Lewis looked like he suspected Merc had given George the 1 stop strategy to get him to beat Lewis, but I’m sure he will calm down when he gets told it was George’s own call.

Confirmed. 1.5kg. Harsh!

Tech regs are non negotiable, sorry George.

George Russell ran the full gamut of emotion from euphoria to heartbreak in what must have been the most painful race of his career. The British driver had won the Belgian Grand Prix only to have the victory whisked away two hours later when his Mercedes was discovered to have been underweight. The sport reminded all that it could be unpredictable, beguiling and then brutally cruel in one fell swoop, as his disqualification meant victory was passed to his teammate Lewis Hamilton.

As the slings and arrows go, even fortune herself might feel this went beyond the outrageous. Yet there can be no argument; as Mercedes acknowledged, they had failed within a part of the regulations where there is simply no grey area.

George Russell
‘Take it on the chin’: Mercedes have no excuses for George Russell heartbreak
Read more

After Russell took what had been a remarkable win at Spa, making a one-stop strategy work against the odds, beating Hamilton into second, the sport’s governing body, the FIA, went about its usual business of inspecting his car, weighed it and found it underweight by 1.5kg of the regulated 798kg. Mercedes were summoned to the stewards to make their case but it was dismissed, the minimum weight limit stipulated to ensure there is a level playing field for all the cars, with it being clear that a lighter car would enjoy a pace advantage. Russell’s disqualification was all but a formality after an error the team held their hands up to.

What is it with Norris loosing places at the start? Seems he is making a bit of a habit of it.

Strange Toto when he thought he had a 1-2 looking like he had a double DNF. Seemed very pissed off with something. Anyone know why?

Great race though; gutted for Russell.

What is it with Norris loosing places at the start? Seems he is making a bit of a habit of it.

Strange Toto when he thought he had a 1-2 looking like he had a double DNF. Seemed very pissed off with something. Anyone know why?

Great race though; gutted for Russell.

Yeah he had a face like thunder, I think a longer clip showed him less grumpy/more happy but I noticed that as well.

Also a bird in the hand, etc.

Leaving the choice until the second half of the season might see him miss out on any seat.

The history of F1 is littered with drivers who were dropped and never managed to climb back on. Admittedly, most of them had no talent, and Sainz does.

Sounds like Checo can relax over the F1 summer holiday. De Telegraaf reporting that Horner told Red Bull HQ employees tonight that they are sticking with Perez after the summer break.

ETA Here's a link that's not in Dutch

Last edited:
Also a bird in the hand, etc.

Leaving the choice until the second half of the season might see him miss out on any seat.

The history of F1 is littered with drivers who were dropped and never managed to climb back on. Admittedly, most of them had no talent, and Sainz does.
So who is getting the second seat at Mercedes if it's not Saniz?

That's a big seat for a newbie to F1 and even he has said he's not sure he's ready to make the jump to F1 [but of course he'll go for it if he's offered]. If they are giving it to Antonelli I'd expect them to announce it soonish now Sainz is off the table. If they don't then maybe the Max rumours are true and they're still trying to court him.
Other option could be to bring back Bottas. He's a known quantity for Mercedes and has won races for them in the past but has his form dipped since then? Hard to tell when he's been driving such a pig of a car for the last few seasons. Could be a stop gap while they wait for Antonelli (or Max). Then there's their reserve driver Mick Schumacher, not an ideal choice considering his less than stellar performances when he was at Haas but again maybe as a stopover.
Although this article suggests Alpine or Sauber/Audi could be trying to get Mick for next season [according to Helmut Marko].

Last edited:
why Williams and not strike for a year before Audi :hmm:if Albion matches or beats him regularly it going to hurt his stock

I think they will be evenly matched. I do think Vowles will turn Williams fortunes around.
Biggest shock? If he's managed to convince Newey to return to Williams.

Back
Top Bottom