13 Oscar PIASTRI McLaren +0.830
14 Esteban OCON Alpine +0.966
15 Nico HULKENBERG Haas +1.003
16 Pierre GASLY Alpine +1.100
17 Lance STROLL Aston Martin +1.391
18 Charles LECLERC Ferrari +1.498
19 Yuki TSUNODA RB +1.818
20 Guanyu ZHOU Kick Sauber +2.279

So are Ferrari, Mercedes or McLaren the ones to beat Verstappen this week I wonder?

I’ll be driving down to Åbo later so need to get my fantasy F1 predictions locked in early.

So are Ferrari, Mercedes or McLaren the ones to beat Verstappen this week I wonder?

I’ll be driving down to Åbo later so need to get my fantasy F1 predictions locked in early.
I think Max will win Sunday's race by a fair margin. Only McLaren can give him some competition and maybe Ferrari. I don't see a Mercedes driver on the podium this Sunday.

Perez has to go. Whatever has happened to see his performance drop off a cliff, that Red Bull is completely wasted on him now - it's got to the point where he's not even a good F1 driver anymore. At least 15 other drivers on the grid (and several more besides) would be better for team points and car development.

Perez has to go. Whatever has happened to see his performance drop off a cliff, that Red Bull is completely wasted on him now - it's got to the point where he's not even a good F1 driver anymore. At least 15 other drivers on the grid (and several more besides) would be better for team points and car development.
His lack of performance is likely to cost Red Bull the constructors championship, if they don't change him soon

Tsunoda to move up, Lawson in the RB. Keep talking to Sainz, get him on board - unless Mercedes give him Hamilton's seat, the prospect of at least the RB drive but with the possibility of the full factory team (if Tsunoda doesn't convince) must be pretty tempting.

The Hungarian Grand Prix grid has had a late change
Pierre Gasly will be forced to start from the pit-lane at the Hungarian Grand Prix, losing his 20th place on the grid. The Alpine racer has taken a fresh energy store and control electronics power unit components, the third and fourth examples, respectively, with just two permitted of each. As such, under Article 40.3 of the sporting regulations, Gasly will be required to start from the pit-lane at the Hungaroring.

He was set to start from last after Alpine opted against sending either him or team-mate Esteban Ocon out again in Q1 as the track dried following a brief rain shower. It leaves 19 cars on the grid, with no penalties for Yuki Tsunoda or Sergio Perez following their big crashes in qualifying. RB has changed the survival cell of Tsunoda's car, with the Japanese set to start 10th and Perez 16th in the Red Bull.

2024 F1 Hungarian Grand Prix starting grid ]

Position​
Driver​
Team​
1st​
Lando Norris​
McLaren​
2nd​
Oscar Piastri​
McLaren​
3rd​
Max Verstappen​
Red Bull​
4th​
Carlos Sainz​
Ferrari​
5th​
Lewis Hamilton​
Mercedes​
6th​
Charles Leclerc​
Ferrari​
7th​
Fernando Alonso​
Aston Martin​
8th​
Lance Stroll​
Aston Martin​
9th​
Daniel Ricciardo​
RB​
10th​
Yuki Tsunoda​
RB​
11th​
Nico Hulkenberg​
Haas​
12th​
Valtteri Bottas​
Stake​
13th​
Alex Albon​
Williams​
14th​
Logan Sargeant​
Williams​
15th​
Kevin Magnussen​
Haas​
16th​
Sergio Perez​
Red Bull​
17th​
George Russell​
Mercedes​
18th​
Zhou Guanyu​
Stake​
19th​
Esteban Ocon​
Alpine​
Pit-lane​
Pierre Gasly​
Alpine​

Sergio Perez hit with worrying Red Bull judgement; possible replacement named​

Helmut Marko emphasised that Sergio Perez’s place in the Red Bull will be decided shortly while naming a possible successor. Perez’s latest shambolic outing saw him crash in qualifying for the F1 Hungarian Grand Prix. He has qualified in 16th. It is a fresh blow for the driver, and his team, at a time where pressure on Perez is even more intense because of McLaren and Mercedes’ growing threat to Red Bull.

Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri locked out the front row in qualifying ahead of Max Verstappen. With only next weekend’s Belgium Grand Prix until the summer break, Perez has two races until Red Bull will sit down and discuss whether he should continue in their car for the second half of the season. Marko ominously told Sky Germany: "We are sticking to our approach and are still waiting for the next race. Then we'll sit down together and see what we're going to do."

The form of Daniel Ricciardo in the sister team RB has improved lately, while Red Bull junior Liam Lawson drove their car for a promotional day recently. "Lawson not only did the test but also do a lot of simulator work," Marko said. He crucially admitted: "This is certainly a candidate, if there could be a necessary candidate."

Sky Sports’ Anthony Davidson commented on Perez’s form: “Too many mistakes in too short a time. It’s a simple mistake. He’s on the kerb, a painted surface. It holds water. He drifted too far. He’s in the spotlight because of negativity… then another mistake. It’s piling on top. I do think he’s the type of character that can bounce back. You hear it in his mindset, he’s incredible like that. He’s one of those people who can brush it aside. I would be stressing all night, it would overload me. But he’s different.”

Naomi Schiff added: “He has managed a lot of this quite well. Sometimes you wonder what causes these dips? How much of it is his mental state? It can’t just be his driving, there’s got to be more to it than that. I feel for him. There’s a human element to this. One thing after another…”

Quick, quick! Turn on Sky.

Nico looks like he's just failed an audition for Miami Vice.

Naomi has just stepped out of an 80's disco.

Thank heavens for common sense and Martin Brundle - styled by Man at C&A circa 1972. A sartorial classic.

:D

Anthem watch:

One of the more exquisite anthems - a wonderful hymn rather than a strident march. Often a choir rather than a quivering soprano.

Totally fitting for a country that produced Liszt and Bartok.

Even the GP razamatazz failed to turn it into a freak show.

8.5 / 10

Back
Top Bottom