Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extreme Weather Watch

‘Endless, brutal heat’: Argentina’s late-season heatwave has ‘no similarities in history’
CNN Wed March 15, 2023
Argentina is grappling with an unprecedented late-summer heatwave as temperatures soar to record-breaking levels – causing crops to wither, helping wildfires spread and adding huge pressure to a country already facing an economic crisis.

The country’s summer, which technically runs from December to February, was by far the hottest on record, according to Maximiliano Herrara, a climatologist who tracks extreme temperatures across the globe.

And, so far, March has offered no relief.

Temperatures during the first 10 days of March were 8 to 10 degrees Celsius (14 to 18 degrees Fahrenheit) above normal in east-central Argentina, according to the country’s National Meteorological Service.

These temperature anomalies, which have persisted over huge areas, are unprecedented, Herrara told CNN. “There is nothing similar that has ever happened in climatic history in Argentina at this scale.”

Herrara said he had expected a “scorching summer” in Argentina due to the impacts of La Niña, a climate pattern which tends to bring hotter, drier summers to the region. But what has happened shocked him, he said.

“The length – five months – and intensity of this endless, brutal heat went beyond what I had imagined,” Herrara said.

Records have been beaten time and time again.

Buenos Aires has seen highs above 30 degrees Celsius (80 degrees Fahrenheit) every day since February 28. Multiple other locations across the country saw their highest temperatures in the last 63 years during March.

In key agricultural provinces of Córdoba, Santa Fe and Northern Buenos Aires, the heat has been “catastrophic” for corn and soybean crops, Mickaël Attia, crop analyst for EarthDaily Analytics, told CNN.

“The worst drought of the last 30 years in Argentina will have an enormous impact on national corn and soybean production, which is expected to be at least 20-30% lower than last year,” he said.

Spain also going to cook over the next couple of days, perhaps reaching almost 40C.
Maximum temperatures, Spain, 27 April 2023 (AEMET).
That's going to further exacerbate drying out of the Iberian peninsula soils, which in turn could, just possibly, open up paths biased towards more extreme UK temperature excursions in coming months, if or as and when a plume setup can establish itself.

Then on top of that, latest ENSO modelling suggests a large El Niño could ramp up rapidly this year (by autumn).
UKMO ENSO forecasts (red) projected on from observation (black), relative to the 1991-2020 mean.
So perhaps out of the summer frying pan and into the winter freezer for the UK, plus some new global temperature records for 2024.

‘Endless record heat’ in Asia as highest April temperatures recorded
Thu 27 Apr 2023
Record figures for month recorded in Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, China and South Asia

Globally, 2022 ranked as one of the hottest years on recorded, and the past eight years were collectively the hottest documented by modern science. It is believed that a return of the El Niño weather phenomenon this year will cause temperatures to rise even further.

“The poorest of the poor are going to [suffer] the most. Especially, it is devastating for the farming community, the people who are dependent on agriculture or fishing,” said Dr Fahad Saeed, regional lead for South Asia and the Middle East at Climate Analytics, a climate science policy institute.

“The heat is not foreign to this part of land,” he said, but added that temperatures were rising beyond the limits of people’s adaptability.

Wet Bulb Temperature Soon to Become Leading Cause of Death Believable and important to be aware of now I think. Córdoba airport in Spain
🇪🇸
has recorded 38.7°C, beating the previous monthly record by NEARLY 5°C - in one of the cities there a horse pulling a carriage collapsed and died, supposedly from heat stress.

Solomon Islands recorded the hottest May day on record, 35.1 degrees. Reported on Al Jazeera but can't find a link.

Earth has just experienced the hottest day since records began (03/07/23).

We have just experienced the hottest day ever recorded on Earth, with average global temperature exceeding 17°C (62.6°F) for the first time.

The average global air temperature recorded 2 metres above Earth’s surface hit 17.01°C (62.62°F) on 3 July, according to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in the US and compiled by the University of Maine.

It beats the record of 16.92°C (62.46°F) reached in August 2016 and July 2022, making 3 July 2023 the hottest ever day on Earth since records began.

Earth has just experienced the hottest day we have ever seen

When they say hottest ever I thought it meant since records began about a hundred years ago...no....

"Chances are that the month of July will be the warmest ever, and with it the hottest month ever … ‘ever’ meaning since the Eemian [interglacial period], which is indeed some 120,000 years ago,” Dr Karsten Haustein, a research fellow in atmospheric radiation at Leipzig University, said"

I think they're really talking about just the co2 there, the methane figures are on a different similar shaped graph. Not sure when earth ever had so much methane or total carbon in the air.

I odn't know whether it's becaue I'm lazy or decrepit, but I can't cope with the heat anymore. We've always had largely warm and sunny summers, but I don't remember feeling so drained. That heatwave last year just wiped me out. Is this climate change, that I'm feeling? This must be climate change, because it's really got a hold one m

I odn't know whether it's becaue I'm lazy or decrepit, but I can't cope with the heat anymore. We've always had largely warm and sunny summers, but I don't remember feeling so drained. That heatwave last year just wiped me out. Is this climate change, that I'm feeling? This must be climate change, because it's really got a hold one m
It's really muggy and unpleasant and I love sun

I posted somewhere else that the summer weather, and the appearance of the land (bleached, scorched verges and fields) in southern England reminds me of that of holidays on the Atlantic coast in France in the 80s / 90.

Part of my moving from SE to SW England is that where I live now it tends to be 5-6 degrees cooler than where I used to live in. Berkshire. Being a few miles from the coast must help too. My dad, who lives in a village in Kent, often tells me how hot it has been where he is, when it’s been fairly cool here. He lives close to a weather station - Frittenden - which has sometimes been the hottest in the country that day.

I think I made a good decision and it’s allowed me to have a better quality of life, and on a micro level, it’s migration seeking an easier climate, which millions if not billions will have to do in the next few decades.

Cerberus heatwave: Hot weather sweeps across southern Europe
13/07/23

A satellite image recorded by the EU's Copernicus Sentinel mission revealed that the land surface temperature in the Extremadura region had hit 60C (140F) on Tuesday.

Let's set things in a historic context to give us some perspective.

The first week of July is reckoned to have been the hottest week since records began.

But scientists can use the bubbles of air trapped in ancient Antarctic ice to estimate temperatures going back more than a million years.

That data suggests that that last week was the hottest week for some 125,000 years.

It was a geological period known as the Eemian when there were hippopotamuses in the Thames and sea levels were reckoned to be some 5m (16.4ft) higher.
Staggering

Can confirm it's hot as fuck here and while once it was relatively rare for Italian homes to have air con that has changed pretty rapidly in the past few years (anecdotal)

Back
Top Bottom