Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extreme Weather Watch

"Day #34 of the record global heatwave, as global average temperatures likely not seen in over 100,000 years continue on for another day. "

1691341164046.png

Greek rescuers work through night to locate villagers trapped by flood
Sun 10 Sep 2023
“Where access isn’t easy drones are [being used] to provide food, water and medication,” said Ioannis Artopios, a fire department spokesperson, calling the operation “continuous and uninterrupted”. Authorities have described several villages in the Pelion peninsula, where tourists were also brought to safety, as being completely cut off.

A further 767 people had been rescued throughout the day, the fire service announced, bringing the total number of those saved since Storm Daniel hit Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey on Tuesday to 3,443.

Five men and women, including a newlywed Austrian couple, are missing, according to civil protection officials. The pair, who had married three weeks earlier, have not been seen since their holiday home in Pelion was uprooted in the maelstrom and washed into the the sea. On Sunday, the state-run broadcaster ERT said the death toll had risen after the body of a 56-year-old man was spotted by a drone.

The destruction, barely weeks after Greece was ravaged by heat-induced wildfires, is incalculable.

I appreciate there is global instantaneous media coverage. Nonetheless, there's been a stark increase in low-probability, high-impact weather events

Last edited:
I know Pelion well.
The water run off throughout the region is interesting and idiosyncratic.

I've been there when dramatic storms caused flash flooding that dumped half a hillside into small fishing coves. But that was within normal parameters: dramatic (or "catastrophic" in Greek parlance) but not entirely extraordinary. The infrastructure, old and modern, allowed for such events.

These climate change events will damage places like Pelion in ways that cannot be mitigated.

Just throwing this out there but is there really an upsurge in this weather or is it a proliferation of social media. Been reading about the incursion of the American West especially The Oregon Trail. There were Tornadoes that lifted cattle , wagons and humans high up into air.

With other world events at the moment I don't think this got too much coverage but Acapulco in Mexico got the shit blown out of it by the cat 5 Hurricane Otis the other day.

Last edited:
Why did Hurricane Otis get so strong, so fast?
yale climate connections. October 25, 2023
In what the National Hurricane Center called a “nightmare scenario,” Hurricane Otis made landfall near Acapulco, Mexico, at 1:25 a.m. CDT on Wednesday, October 25, as a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane with 165 mph winds and a central pressure of 923 mb.
Otis unexpectedly intensified from a tropical storm with 65 mph winds to a Category 5 storm with 165 mph winds — an astonishing 105 mph increase — in the 24 hours before landfall.
Rapid intensification is extremely dangerous because it leaves people little time to prepare for strong storms. The phenomenon is expected to happen more often as the climate warms.

The 2023/24 El Niño event is looking notably different from past El Niño events.
During the months and seasons ahead more widespread, global ocean warmth will likely help to spread, not consolidate, rainfall and thunderstorm activity (outside of the tropics) and result in weather patterns that are considered atypical for El Niño.

1699641679534.png

Aquamarine that image is terrifying but it's not really clear exactly how much of a shift (in numbers) it represents. where does it come from?
I should have added it was copied from here:

The image alone terrifies. What a lot of the climate people seem to be saying now is that there is a homogenization of the Earth's weather playing out and loss of hemispheric variation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom