Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extreme Weather Watch

London is forecast 50mph at tops. Obviously this will sound like weather willy waving but it's been 50mph here for 2 of the last 3 days. Windy, sure. But nothing really. Nothing like 90mph (which is our forecast). I've been in 90mph winds once before. On an island just off Tierra del Fuego. Real two (hard) steps forward, one step back stuff, if you're lucky. Ridiculously powerful. Luckily the island had no buildings. My village does. I am a little concerned about tomorrow. I think London will be fine.

While I was down near TdF (to finish the high winds story) I was staying in a town called Punta Arenas on mainland Chile. The streets there had ropes between the edge of the pavement and the road. This was to stop people getting blown into the road. 70mph there is a normal day in the right season. They have weather that would make top story on our news every day. But it's perspective, it's what is common/normal. And 70 is normal for them. They get by. All their trees are slanted, but they get by.

Becuase all their trees that blow down and kill people at 70 have already fallen over, or didn’t go up in the first place, so it’s fine. Whereas places which haven’t had 70+ for decades will have accumulated lots of trees and structures that would present a hazard during such winds. It’s not about “getting by”.

Becuase all their trees that blow down and kill people at 70 have already fallen over, or didn’t go up in the first place, so it’s fine. Whereas places which haven’t had 70+ for decades will have accumulated lots of trees and structures that would present a hazard during such winds. It’s not about “getting by”.

No. Plenty of structures in Punta Arenas. I'm sure you played the googlemaps game, you can find it.

my prediction is double digit deaths (maybe triple even) tomorrow and the govenrment coming in for belated flack for not acting NOW, as in several hours ago

Last edited:
Yes there could even be some disruption to the Central Line at Ongar.

You laugh but the central has been suspended twixt Loughton and Epping.

Granted that happens more often than I actually go to london these days but it’s still a massive pain in the arse

One for 2hats maybe?

I'm figuring that Eunice didn't have the sting-jet that gave the 1987 storm such potency?

No reports of such over the UK but not yet clear if one didn't materialise over the sea at some point. Also a watch on for one in the far north of Germany right now as Eunice continues eastwards.

And inexperience in dealing with such winds, as evident with all the pictures of flying trampolines with the netting still up and rogue bins. You don't work stuff like that out without practice.
Yes there could even be some disruption to the Central Line at Ongar.
You must feel a bit daft now lol. They build places like the ones we live in with high winds in mind. Well most of the time, the new school here had flying roof tiles after a month because the council wanted cheaper tiles, but had to get a firm in fae sooth to do the roof because our local builders wouldn't put their name to it. It then, quite unlike any roof here, ended up with green netting or some shite all over it.

Warmer than Spain in the west of Ireland in March....
""Temperatures soared to 18.9 degrees in Newport, co Mayo, 18.6 at Mount Dillon in Roscommon and 18.3 degrees in Belmullet, co Mayo- well above the 15 degrees in Malaga and Ibiza, and marked the warmest day of the year so far, according to Met Eireann"".

An entire ice shelf in Antarctica has collapsed.

Dr Catherine Colello Walker, an earth and planetary scientist at Nasa and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, said though the Conger ice shelf was relatively small, “it is one of the most significant collapse events anywhere in Antarctica since the early 2000s when the Larsen B ice shelf disintegrated”.

“It won’t have huge effects, most likely, but it’s a sign of what might be coming,” Walker said.

Since 2015 - actually for much longer than that, try the late 1970s - I have studied the UK's changing & changeable weather. My interest has been [and is] the occurrence of extreme events. To be honest, the global warming & climate change topic has been part of that.
The first floods I took any personal interest in were in 1968 [mainly Chew Valley to Bristol] and then I studied others, like the 1952 Lynmouth Flood at school & during university. That developed into flood prevention & mitigation in rural & urban areas - I worked with some consulting engineers with an interest in the subject.
In recent years, I've even been taking pictures and screen shots ...

Historic heatwave poised to hit dozens of US states this weekend
Fri 20th May
The climate crisis has set the stage for increasing and intensifying heatwaves in the coming decades, and models indicate that there could be between 25 and 30 extreme events a year by mid-century – up from an average of between four and six a year historically. They are also expected to cover wider swaths of land regionally than before.

Although temperatures are expected to drop again after the weekend, another sizzling summer is in store. “There does seem to be a signal that it will be a warmer than average summer for the mid-Atlantic or north-east,” Chenard said, adding that how higher temperatures would translate into specific heatwaves was less clear.

As the east coast cooks this weekend, the west will get a short reprieve. Although risks remain high for wildfires across the south-west, especially in New Mexico, where the country’s biggest blaze – and the largest in state history – continues to burn, the region will get a blast of unseasonably cold weather. Parts of Colorado, which had temperatures hovering near the 90s, are now expecting to be pummeled with snow.

New data reveals climate change might be more rapid than predicted
May 26, 2022

A new study, published today in Nature Climate Change, will certainly make the IPCC—and other environmental bodies—take notice. A team of scientists led by Dr. Rei Chemke of Weizmann's Earth and Planetary Sciences Department revealed a considerable intensification of winter storms in the Southern Hemisphere. The study, conducted in collaboration with Dr. Yi Ming of Princeton University and Dr. Janni Yuval of MIT, is sure to make waves in the climate conversation.

Until now, climate models have projected a human-caused intensification of winter storms only toward the end of this century. In the new study, Chemke and his team compared climate model simulations with current storm observations. Their discovery was bleak: It became clear that storm intensification over recent decades has already reached levels projected to occur in the year 2080.

"A winter storm is a weather phenomenon that lasts only a few days. Individually, each storm doesn't carry much climatic weight. However, the long-term effect of winter storms becomes evident when assessing cumulative data collected over long periods of time," Chemke explains. Cumulatively, these storms have a significant impact, affecting the transfer of heat, moisture and momentum within the atmosphere, which consequently affects the various climate zones on Earth.

"One example of this is the role the storms play in regulating the temperature at the Earth's poles. Winter storms are responsible for the majority of the heat transport away from tropical regions toward the poles. Without their contribution, the average pole temperatures would be about 30°C lower." Similarly, the collective intensification of these storms yields a real and significant threat to societies in the Southern Hemisphere in the next decades.

Back
Top Bottom