Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extreme Weather Watch

Triple dip La Niña called (by the Australian BOM).

What this means for the UK isn't certain - La Niña more directly and [somewhat more] predictably tends to affect the southern hemisphere, central Africa, SE Asia and the entire Pacific and Americas (though interplay with the Indian Ocean Dipole is important). Europe is at the far distant range of its influence and there are other key nearby drivers (other ocean-atmosphere coupled oscillatory states) to factor in as well.

Often it can mean a wet and mild autumn till around November, then an increasing risk of blocking leading to colder snaps, perhaps with disruption to the polar night jet and consequent polar vortex breakdown bringing cold plunges in winter, eventually followed by wet and and stormy events as we move towards spring. Though that pattern of La Niña doesn't always play out winter that way for us.

It will also be interesting to see if the Atlantic hurricane season eventually gets going properly (La Niña tends to suppress wind shear in the Atlantic basin thus leaving hurricanes to more easily develop unhindered), and whether more are inclined to track our way as has been observed over the last couple of years.

Thunder, lightning and proper "end of the world" rain currently occurring in the Wells area, Somerset at the moment. Second day of this rain. Not for long mind, thank goodness, but when it's raining it's coming down in stair rods. And there's a phrase I've not used for years

Thunder, lightning and proper "end of the world" rain currently occurring in the Wells area, Somerset at the moment. Second day of this rain. Not for long mind, thank goodness, but when it's raining it's coming down in stair rods. And there's a phrase I've not used for years

Rivers and reservoirs are still low. Above-average rainfall between now and spring is needed to replenish them.

More records continuing to be broken for rising temperatures in October.. right across Europe..
All these droughts and heatwaves are sure to alter crop yields next year.
The times they are a changing.

Growing concern over unseasonal warm spell in Europe​

this is shiocking to me

"It feels like Groundhog Day. I wake up and it's raining, dark and cold, over and over and over again." Rebecca Gray feels like it has rained all year in Sydney, Australia. She's not far off the mark.

The city has seen around 170 days of rain so far in 2022 - there have been more rainy days than dry ones. And with almost a quarter of the year still to go, Sydney broke its annual rainfall record last month.

"It's not like we've just scraped in," said Tom Saunders, a meteorologist at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. "The record has been obliterated. I've never seen anything like it."

More than 2.3m (7.5 feet) of rain has fallen on the city - three times the annual average in London.

It's been a similar story across the rest of Australia's eastern states. Repeated, widespread flooding across all four of them has left thousands of homes uninhabitable and killed more than 30 people this year. Just this past week, two people died as towns in central western New South Wales (NSW) went underwater.

This YouTube channel gives frequent reports on weather and climate events around the world. Some of them come under the heading of bad but not extraordinary for the time and place, but that in itself is informative and important information imo. But there are also reports of big bad stuff that doesn’t make the main news, like the awful landslide in Malaysia last week.

News report of the landslide

Here’s the YouTube channel. This is today’s video. It includes catastrophic floods in Mecca, Indonesia and elsewhere, a 6.4 earthquake in California and a huge forest fire in Chile.

It offers brief footage and a headline about the location and event, no further information. I use it as the front page and then go elsewhere to learn more details.

Back
Top Bottom