Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

Does anyone know how the police knew which locations to raid? Like, were they ones that had been publicly or semi-publicly announced?

XR also use super secure whatsapp chats to coordinate actions. It's pretty easy (or at least it was a couple of years ago) to get invited with little more than a hello on facebook.

Extinction Rebellion just told me I could write for them instead of going on demos and shouting and going wild like I used to do on Brian Haw peace demos.

@devereuxmatthew

I love XR, for what they did to the Daily Mail at the weekend. Little by little, these things push us forward.

I had missed that, but, yeah, dumping manure outside the Daily Mail's building is amusing, shame they got stopped from doing the same outside the Telegraph's building.

2bbb.jpg

Environmental protest group Extinction Rebellion said it had made a “surprise visit” to Northcliffe House, the head office of the newspaper’s owners Daily Mail and General Trust, and claimed to have dumped seven tonnes of horse manure outside the main entrance.

Five people were arrested for an offence under Section 148 of the Highways Act, with four of the five also arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage, police said.

Extinction Rebellion said members had also visited the building housing the Daily Telegraph newspaper but were stopped before they could dump more manure.

One of the oldest challenges. If you are open then you will have the law stretched to the fullest extent in order to stop your activities. If you are closed then you quickly become engaged in elitist actions that lose public support. The onion + cell model can work in terms of keeping relevance and evading detection but even that puts immense pressures on those involved. Lone wolf actions quickly lead to parody. There is much to learn from HK resistance although they ultimately appear to have been unsuccessful.

One of the oldest challenges. If you are open then you will have the law stretched to the fullest extent in order to stop your activities. If you are closed then you quickly become engaged in elitist actions that lose public support. The onion + cell model can work in terms of keeping relevance and evading detection but even that puts immense pressures on those involved. Lone wolf actions quickly lead to parody. There is much to learn from HK resistance although they ultimately appear to have been unsuccessful.
Closed didn’t work for RTS as they let an undercover cop into the controlling group.

And also despite them being centrally involved they were unable to stop most large events going ahead as they had mass participation and popular support.

Groups using very high security, and where the risk of informers and undercovers being caught, tortured, and then executed still get infiltrated would suggest it's quite difficult to 'keep them out' of anywhere.

Closed didn’t work for RTS as they let an undercover cop into

There was more than one. But I wouldn't say we "let" them in, more that we failed to keep them out.

And being open doesn't mean they won't still get in either.

I think the idea is that it won't matter if they get in.

Came across a similar approach amongst Israeli anarchists. Taking into account the fact that they were 100% guaranteed to be infiltrated they organized openly an publically.

I think XR, the school student climate walkout stuff, BLM and Kill the Bill would be a decent set of recent case studies to compare with this stuff - don't think it'd be fair to describe any of them as completely law-abiding and pacified, but I think most of them have largely managed to avoid XR's pre-emptive arrests problem.

I think XR, the school student climate walkout stuff, BLM and Kill the Bill would be a decent set of recent case studies to compare with this stuff - don't think it'd be fair to describe any of them as completely law-abiding and pacified, but I think most of them have largely managed to avoid XR's pre-emptive arrests problem.
Depends what you mean. The other three have primarily been about A toB marches. Where it's kicked off there's been arrests. XR is about civil disobedience and direct action. It's a more radical project so it attracts more reaction from the state.

Just off the top of my head though, haven't the BLM and Kill the Bill stuff mostly have been demos (that then sometimes mutated into other stuff) rather than the civil disobedience and direct action that XR has more been about? I do think the planned disruption of infrastructure is something that the State is much more bothered about and will often try and stop before it happens. I think RTS in '90s London and XR is a better talking point.

Just off the top of my head though, haven't the BLM and Kill the Bill stuff mostly have been demos (that then sometimes mutated into other stuff) rather than the civil disobedience and direct action that XR has more been about? I do think the planned disruption of infrastructure is something that the State is much more bothered about and will often try and stop before it happens. I think RTS in '90s London and XR is a better talking point.
Snap

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
Oh, Palestine Action v Elbit et al, that's another useful point of comparison. Point taken above, but also how many cop vans have XR burnt?

From 25ht June: A truly ridiculous number of plod to raid a studio with a sculpture on the roof that was either the same or similar to the one that XR used to block the gates to Murdoch's printworks. Apparently they failed to take it down.

(short thread)

From 25ht June: A truly ridiculous number of plod to raid a studio with a sculpture on the roof that was either the same or similar to the one that XR used to block the gates to Murdoch's printworks. Apparently they failed to take it down.

(short thread)

And still Anthony Charles Lynton Blair hasn't been arrested by Plod and packed off to the Hague.

Yes, i know how it works thank you. Still, I fail to see what Blair has got to do with a thread on Extinction rebellion.
Come on. Plod are arresting democracy and climate emergency activists rather than war criminals. Not rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom