Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extinction Rebellion

That's bollocks tho, public aren't on the side of xr
Hmm not necessarily. did you actually read it? In it he argues that because the defendants dispensed with their legal teams and conducted their own defence, they were able to convince the jury that their actions were wholly reasonable in light of Shell's continuing activities that are contributing to climate change. Sure, there are plenty of people that would disagree with this usually for purely selfish reasons but given the opportunity to explain themselves in a court they were able to win the jury over.

Hmm not necessarily. did you actually read it? In it he argues that because the defendants dispensed with their legal teams and conducted their own defence, they were able to convince the jury that their actions were wholly reasonable in light of Shell's continuing activities that are contributing to climate change. Sure, there are plenty of people that would disagree with this usually for purely selfish reasons but given the opportunity to explain themselves in a court they were able to win the jury over.
No I didn't read it
Do you think the public are on the side of xr? I dont

I think it demonstrates that people are open to persuasion when presented with a well argued case. How else to explain the result?
A jury acquitting doesn't mean the "public" all agree does it? Just that jury on that day

Most people I speak to, no matter where they sit on the political spectrum, seem to be far more aware of environmental issues than they ever were. But as has been said, actually sacrificing, demanding change, etc is another matter entirely.

Do you think the public are on the side of xr? I dont

Everyone knows that climate change is real, everyone knows that we need to change our behaviours in order to counter it, XR’s message is that government must mandate that change. This appeals in many ways; you may drive an SUV and fly once a month, use gas for cooking and heating and so on, but are absolved of responsibility as any individual action is a homeopathic drop in the ocean, it needs a global response. And they are right. But it won’t happen. So yeah, even rabid right wingers I speak to know XR are right and that something needs to happen, they, like me know nothing will. We’re fucked.

Everyone knows that climate change is real, everyone knows that we need to change our behaviours in order to counter it, XR’s message is that government must mandate that change. This appeals in many ways; you may drive an SUV and fly once a month, use gas for cooking and heating and so on, but are absolved of responsibility as any individual action is a homeopathic drop in the ocean, it needs a global response. And they are right. But it won’t happen. So yeah, even rabid right wingers I speak to know XR are right and that something needs to happen, they, like me know nothing will. We’re fucked.
Tbh it doesn't matter if everyone changed to being super good tomorrow, it's too late. The permafrost is melting, and with the warming arctic the methane hydrates under the seas there will bubble up much faster than they're doing atm. Maybe - just maybe - we'll get lucky and it'll all end up ok. Like one chance in ten thousand. But yeh barring that slim chance we're fucked and as far as I'm concerned the only saving grace is I'll be dead before it all goes to shit

Dystopiary if I fall down and fuck my ankle that's :( but here we're talking about vast numbers of people greatly suffering, many millions of people dying horrible deaths, the extinction of so many animals we love, a planet that will take many thousands of years to recover from just 200-250 years of industrial humans. I think that rates a bit more than :(, maybe :mad:

Dystopiary if I fall down and fuck my ankle that's :( but here we're talking about vast numbers of people greatly suffering, many millions of people dying horrible deaths, the extinction of so many animals we love, a planet that will take many thousands of years to recover from just 200-250 years of industrial humans. I think that rates a bit more than :(, maybe :mad:
Believe me, I find it devastating.

Tbh it doesn't matter if everyone changed to being super good tomorrow, it's too late. The permafrost is melting, and with the warming arctic the methane hydrates under the seas there will bubble up much faster than they're doing atm. Maybe - just maybe - we'll get lucky and it'll all end up ok. Like one chance in ten thousand. But yeh barring that slim chance we're fucked and as far as I'm concerned the only saving grace is I'll be dead before it all goes to shit

Baby Bahn 1 is choosing university courses to start September 2022, she's interested in environmental science and computer science, she's pretty much settled on the later as the former is just too depressing, every model they do in her A level group comes back with the same result: fucked.

I see that my predictions were right about how the millenarian focus on apocalyptic predictions by climate doomsters leads to apathy and inaction. Future generations are going to curse the likes of Greta Thunberg and XR.

Never mind that we can still decarbonise energy production and produce significant reductions in carbon emissions. Never mind that we already have the technology to do that in the form of nuclear fission and renewables. Nah, much better to instead wank on about the end of the world. The fossil fuel companies should be giving the climate doomsters a stipend for all the useful work they've done in demoralising people. Well done lads.

I see that my predictions were right about how the millenarian focus on apocalyptic predictions by climate doomsters leads to apathy and inaction. Future generations are going to curse the likes of Greta Thunberg and XR.

Never mind that we can still decarbonise energy production and produce significant reductions in carbon emissions. Never mind that we already have the technology to do that in the form of nuclear fission and renewables. Nah, much better to instead wank on about the end of the world. The fossil fuel companies should be giving the climate doomsters a stipend for all the useful work they've done in demoralising people. Well done lads.
I say nothing against trying to sort things out. Without attempting to change things the one chance in ten thousand vanishes. I think tho that we've missed the bus and decarbonising energy production and producing significant reductions in emissions is no longer enough. When co2 reaches a certain level it can affect cognitive ability and damage health Indoor carbon dioxide levels could be a health hazard, scientists warn and the rate co2 is rising that's not really all that far away
1624267190788.png
So the question isn't really just about reducing emissions or changing energy production but grabbing carbon out of the atmosphere and locking it away in sufficient quantities to mitigate emissions from the Arctic and from decomposing permafrost. What's your proposal for that?

The only way to be safe is to do nothing. Solid message from the anarchists there.

Back
Top Bottom