Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extended service warranty

Dragon 24

Silently Bad Minded
Just wondered if anyone has experience of these? I’m being offered one on a 2.5 year old car. 16k on the clock. Never had a moments trouble with it but warranty ending. They offered me to extend it for approx £480 for another year, would cover everything expect tires, breaks etc. As I still think of it as a new car with low mileage I’d hope nothing would be needed, but little monkey on my back tells me if I don’t get it, something big will go wrong. I’m sure that’s what they want me to think too. The money is a lot for me - but also, I know how much car repairs can be. I’ve never had a new car before in my 30+ years of driving, and this one is leased, got 2 years left on lease.

Any thoughts?

As Riklet said, and the probability of a low mileage, less than 3 year old car having a major fault is very low.

What warranty does the manufacturer give? Many give quite long periods now, even against rust.

I don't think I'd bother.

I've bought 2nd hand cars (2-4 years old) for the last 30 years old (never had a new one)
I've never bought or needed a warranty on them and cars now are a LOT more reliable than 30 years ago
I wouldn't waste your money if I were you

Only had my car a few months (just under four years old when I bought it) so every chance I will come to regret not taking extended warranty, but dealership went hard on trying to sell it me, far harder than finance options. This means they are making fuck loads out of warranties, which probably indicates how often not that old cars go wrong (and it's not caused by crashing/driver error)

Back
Top Bottom