Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ex-Undercover Reveals Police Targeted Stephen Lawrence's Family

They're only 'rogue' or a 'force within a force' when they're factions on the losing side of an internal dispute.

Lambert's post-SDS career at the Muslim Contact Unit as the cuddly copper who engaged with (potential) jihadis was at odds with the PREVENT strategy, and he paid the price with numerous critiques of his work (pre-spycop exposure), sourced indubitably from those within the prevailing PREVENT current of the police and/or Home Office, which characterised him as variously as naïve, blinkered or in thrall to terrorists.

Yet this was a political battle (for funding, operational control, personal prestige, whatever) within SB/Home Office, between competing tactical or strategic views, as might happen between proponents of sensitive community policing and zero tolerance lockdowns - almost routine.

The objective essentially remains the same, even if the operational paths to achieve it head in different directions. And who sets the objectives, who monitors progress, who determines whether milestones have been met satisfactorily?

In Lambert we can see a man who has seemingly been on both the winning and losing side of a near-ideological debate within Special Branch.

As both a successful field operative, and later as a more senior officer responsible for sending others underground, buoyed by his own experiences, his own well-honed tradecraft, his own advice; far more than - say - the junior Kennedy, with his need to ingratiate himself, Lambert is the nearest we have currently to a key to understanding the spycops.

Lambert, both pupil and teacher.

Did Francis' superiors in the Met order him to get dirt on Lawrence's family and friend because they were:

a) Institutionally racist?

b) In bed with gangsters?

c) Both?

Enquiring minds want to know ...
One cannot neglect the fact that Francis was working in Special Branch - and that there are political considerations to what he was tasked with doing.

This cannot be seen purely through the prism of personal values (eg racism - even if expressed institutionally) - it must be evaluated in relation to power and the service of power.

Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe
"If these allegations are true, it's a disgrace & the Metropolitan Police Service will apologise"

I bet he hopes it can all be made good with a soz.

I'm beginning to see why the tories have been hanging HH out to dry over things like Mitchell.

Will the met apologies to all of us who campaigned for justice for Stephen ( and Rolan Adams and Rohit Duggal who were also victims of racist murders in the 2 years prior to Stephen's) and his family for accusing us of being hell bent on violence? ... I remember the Met using this as their excuse for attacking the UNITY demo in October 1993.
They are beyond despicable and to be honest should be disbanded and reformed.
Fuck me can you imagine any other organisation getting away with this?

Will the met apologies to all of us who campaigned for justice for Stephen ( and Rolan Adams and Rohit Duggal who were also victims of racist murders in the 2 years prior to Stephen's) and his family for accusing us of being hell bent on violence? ... I remember the Met using this as their excuse for attacking the UNITY demo in October 1993.
They are beyond despicable and to be honest should be disbanded and reformed.
Fuck me can you imagine any other organisation getting away with this?
the ruc / psni?

They're only 'rogue' or a 'force within a force' when they're factions on the losing side of an internal dispute....Yet this was a political battle (for funding, operational control, personal prestige, whatever) within SB/Home Office, between competing tactical or strategic views, as might happen between proponents of sensitive community policing and zero tolerance lockdowns - almost routine.

Mr Cinzano, you are indeed onto something here: faction fighting/internal conflict leading to some cops being 'outed'. The other side of the coin is that those doing the 'outing' get kudos out of it: Paul Lewis/Rob Evans/The Guardian. In the abstract, nothing wrong with that...except when it means those same people look the other way when relevant stories do not fit the news/police agenda. A prime example of this is the death of infiltrator Duncan Robertson: savour this extract from a report on his inquest I wrote yesterday for the Notes From the Borderland web-site.

"Readers of Notes From the Borderland magazine (and this site) will already know of my evidence-based contempt for The Guardian and all its works. Currently, one of their ‘top boys’ Paul Lewis is luxuriating in accolades arising from covering stories about undercover cops, indeed next month his book (co-written with Rob Evans) on that topic is published, trailed this very weekend in The Guardian by the old news presented as new that infiltrator cop Bob Lambert helped co-write the leaflet for which the McLibel Two were prosecuted. Fact is though, unless I’ve missed something, none of these cops actually committed suicide (though anybody forced to listen to Mark Kennedy’s self-piteous whining might be forgiven for doing so). My last article name-checked Paul Lewis and Rob Evans suggesting they might take an interest (or maybe not). My indefatigable colleague David Pegg went further—on 6/6/13 he phoned up Paul Lewis and alerted him to the DR story on this site, which Lewis quickly found. Sadly, the most significant question from Lewis concerned not DR, but the classic Special Branch type question “who are you funded by?”. That he asked this question does not mean he works for the cops: but does show a paucity of journalistic endeavour. It really is not good enough for the likes of Lewis to look the other way, ignoring an inquest that was held only 900 yards or so away from The Guardian’s office! Yet he did, as too his colleagues. While this is not the space to develop it here, the Met Police have long used cut outs like the Community Security Trust and Searchlight to out-source their intelligence-gathering/spookery. That the likes of Lewis and Evans want to ignore this does not mean serious investigative researchers should. As always, it seems The Guardian is about policing the parameters of political dissent, ignoring certain types of intelligence-gathering as they seek to incorporate radicals into an information-sharing nexus of their own, while The Guardian cultivates its own channels of information sharing with the Met’s upper echelons, via Alan Rusbridger and Nick Davies at least. More on all this next NFB…"

For detail on what happened at the inquest (whitewash/cover-up) read the full article here http://www.borderland.co.uk/index.p...e/127-duncan-robertson-inquest-exclusive.html

Cue aggrieved howls from Guardianistas? Or perhaps indifference/accusations I've used 'too long words' and other evasions.

Mr Cinzano, you are indeed onto something here: faction fighting/internal conflict leading to some cops being 'outed'. The other side of the coin is that those doing the 'outing' get kudos out of it: Paul Lewis/Rob Evans/The Guardian. In the abstract, nothing wrong with that...except when it means those same people look the other way when relevant stories do not fit the news/police agenda. A prime example of this is the death of infiltrator Duncan Robertson: savour this extract from a report on his inquest I wrote yesterday for the Notes From the Borderland web-site.

"Readers of Notes From the Borderland magazine (and this site) will already know of my evidence-based contempt for The Guardian and all its works. Currently, one of their ‘top boys’ Paul Lewis is luxuriating in accolades arising from covering stories about undercover cops, indeed next month his book (co-written with Rob Evans) on that topic is published, trailed this very weekend in The Guardian by the old news presented as new that infiltrator cop Bob Lambert helped co-write the leaflet for which the McLibel Two were prosecuted. Fact is though, unless I’ve missed something, none of these cops actually committed suicide (though anybody forced to listen to Mark Kennedy’s self-piteous whining might be forgiven for doing so). My last article name-checked Paul Lewis and Rob Evans suggesting they might take an interest (or maybe not). My indefatigable colleague David Pegg went further—on 6/6/13 he phoned up Paul Lewis and alerted him to the DR story on this site, which Lewis quickly found. Sadly, the most significant question from Lewis concerned not DR, but the classic Special Branch type question “who are you funded by?”. That he asked this question does not mean he works for the cops: but does show a paucity of journalistic endeavour. It really is not good enough for the likes of Lewis to look the other way, ignoring an inquest that was held only 900 yards or so away from The Guardian’s office! Yet he did, as too his colleagues. While this is not the space to develop it here, the Met Police have long used cut outs like the Community Security Trust and Searchlight to out-source their intelligence-gathering/spookery. That the likes of Lewis and Evans want to ignore this does not mean serious investigative researchers should. As always, it seems The Guardian is about policing the parameters of political dissent, ignoring certain types of intelligence-gathering as they seek to incorporate radicals into an information-sharing nexus of their own, while The Guardian cultivates its own channels of information sharing with the Met’s upper echelons, via Alan Rusbridger and Nick Davies at least. More on all this next NFB…"

For detail on what happened at the inquest (whitewash/cover-up) read the full article here http://www.borderland.co.uk/index.p...e/127-duncan-robertson-inquest-exclusive.html

Cue aggrieved howls from Guardianistas? Or perhaps indifference/accusations I've used 'too long words' and other evasions.
could you do something about the font size? it's like the bottom line at the opticians.

'. The other side of the coin is that those doing the 'outing' get kudos out of it: Paul Lewis/Rob Evans/The Guardian. In the abstract, nothing wrong with that...except when it means those same people look the other way when relevant stories do not fit the news/police agenda.
aye.

Staats sicherheit.

reading this at the moment:

MI6 & PARTY POLITICS—A DEFINITE CASE TO ANSWER

Without question MI6 cultivate assets in political parties. Raymond Fletcher (Labour MP for llkestone 1964-83) was on MI6's payroll while in parliament. Another former MI6 officer was influential Tory Cranley Onslow MP, later instrumental in recruiting 1970s MI6 provocateurs the Littlejohn brothers. Former Cabinet minister Jonathan Aitken was so in with MI6 he used this to defend his libel case against The Guardian. The most high profile former MI6 officer is Paddy Ashdown. As Lib Dem Leader his first act was persuade the party to ditch their unilateral nuclear disarmament policy. And who really believes his interest in the former Yugoslavia has nothing to do with Paddy's MI6 past? Not us. At the very least we can say former MI6 employees entering politics retain links with SIS, which are of use in, and affect, their political life.

Another being Rory Stewart.

It is really drilling home just how deep the secret state is. How are we meant to fight this stuff when it is so deeply embedded into our entire political system?

Drip drip but: Scotland Yard spied on critics of police corruption
Exclusive: undercover officers in Special Demonstration Squad targeted political campaigns against Metropolitan police
Most of this we know right? Have we identified this one?

A second SDS spy was used to gather intelligence on another group that represented the victims of police harassment and racist attacks in a neighbouring part of east London. The second spy, whose identity is not known, did not infiltrate the Newham Monitoring Project directly, but got inside associated groups and was able to monitor its activities.

That cop provocator has a lot less hair than when I knew him :)

Lois Austin - then YRE Chair - is being interviewed about his provocation attempts on BBC Radio Live 5 at around 11am and later at lunchtime on Sky TV News (apparently)

Did u pick him as a wrong un?

Just watched the Dispatches programme. Sadly nothing shocks me about them any more. Hillsborough, now this. I'm not surprised Mr Lawrence says he has no faith in the imminent investigation. His family have been kicked in the teeth, repeatedly, by the organisation that was supposed to bring them justice. The Met are the lowest of the low.

Just watched the Dispatches programme. Sadly nothing shocks me about them any more. Hillsborough, now this. I'm not surprised Mr Lawrence says he has no faith in the imminent investigation. His family have been kicked in the teeth, repeatedly, by the organisation that was supposed to bring them justice. The Met are the lowest of the low.

The met are scum, but it's important here not to separate the way they operate from the way they all operate - it's a power, hierarchy, authority thing - from individuals being aggressive on the street to decades long institutional cover ups.

(Wasn't having a go at you there!)

In fairness the PSNI are far worse.

are you sure? is there no police force in the country which can compete with them?

"They've gone from the gutter to the sewer."

Lord Ken McDonald former D.P.P. BBC Radio 4 P.M. 24 June. 2013

Jack Straw

"Extraordinary rendition? Nah...none of that round here mate."

"Okay, cheers Jack."

Back
Top Bottom