Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ex-Undercover Reveals Police Targeted Stephen Lawrence's Family

In his original interviews with Tony Thompson for the Observer in 2010, Francis/'Black'/'Daley'/'Officer A' did refer to his (attempted) infiltration of anti-racist, Black justice and deaths-in-custody campaigns. I have a hazy recollection that he did at one point refer specifically to the Lawrence family campaign, and to Duwayne Brooks (if not necessarily by name).

Francis was passed over to Lewis & Evans at the Guardian in early 2011.

Is this the Tony Thompson of Judas Pig/ Bloggs 19 fame?

I remember reading about some corrupt officer and obviously the gangster/crime family connection of some of the suspects - I guess its plausible that they might have been the sort of people the police would (presumably) want as informants

Eg Commander Ray Adams' relationship with Clifford Norris, career criminal and police informant, father to Lawrence killer David Norris. He was also connected to (a different) David Norris, another career criminal and police informant, and Kenny Noye, career criminal and police informant.

will also be interesting to see if the daily mail picks up this one - this was one story they actually did some decent reporting on due to some connection with the Laurence family IIRC

Neville Lawrence had done some plastering work for editor Paul Dacre.

I remember DB getting the right arse with me once when I said I suspected the reason the Met were so ready to admit to being institutionally racist was to divert attention from the stench of police corruption around the Lawrence case, a suspicion I still hold.

I remember DB getting the right arse with me once when I said I suspected the reason the Met were so ready to admit to being institutionally racist was to divert attention from the stench of police corruption around the Lawrence case, a suspicion I still hold.

I may have mixed him up with someone else, but I think DB might have been one of the (ex)coppers giving Duwayne Brooks grief on twitter today, along the theme of 'hey it was 20 years ago'.

Has there ever been any accusations of the suspects being police informants?

I think it was more a case of the initial investigating officer and a bunch of his mates on the force being profitably involved in various aspects of organised crime with the father of one of the suspects.

As I said, I am not sure it is him, and as it's an account that appears to use a real name I don't think it wouldn't be fair to link directly to it. However, I am sure there are more meticulous file-keepers who would be able to rule him in or out.

Duwayne Brooks' twitter is here:

https://twitter.com/DuwayneBrooks

haha this sounds familiar,

"At times like this Twitter is absolutely nauseating. It is a playground for the prejudiced, hypocrites bigots. I may not be here much longer."

"Just that we shouldn't portray it as being representative of all cops or of todays cops. It was SOME police, 20yrs ago."

"Yes. And about to fuck off. I do not like being amongst prejudiced bigots..."

The prime minister has called for an immediate investigation into reports the police wanted to smear the family of murdered teenager Stephen Lawrence.
Number 10 said David Cameron was "deeply concerned" by the allegations in the Guardian made by former officer Peter Francis.

Does anyone know quite how many investigations into the conduct of the Met are 'live'.

I wonder if they'll go for a NIPS-style re-brand?

GLPS?

I think it's worth pointing out that SE London police (especially SERCS) were notorious for their corruption in the 80s and the 90s - it was common knowledge round LB Greenwich way

I think you were probably bang on the money there (see my previous post)

I think it's worth pointing out that SE London police (especially SELRCS) were notorious for their corruption in the 80s and the 90s - it was common knowledge round LB Greenwich way
Do you mean SERCS?

Mentioned across the hacking, Daniel Morgan and Lawrence killers murder trial threads, and key to the themes of the Untouchables book.

Some initial signs that tricky questions about motives based on corruption may be handily obscured by a more basic narrative that they did it simply to cover up 'looking bad', with 'attempts to avoid looking racist' providing a second level of cover.

Eg Commander Ray Adams' relationship with Clifford Norris, career criminal and police informant, father to Lawrence killer David Norris.
There was a very widespread assumption round Eltham/Greenwich way that Norris Sr was paying off the police, to protect his son

Do you mean SERCS?

Mentioned across the hacking, Daniel Morgan and Lawrence killers murder trial threads, and key to the themes of the Untouchables book.
sorry yes, SERCS. It was probably Danny Morgan uncovering that corruption, and John Rees' involvement in it, that cost Morgan his life

That cop provocator has a lot less hair than when I knew him :)

Lois Austin - then YRE Chair - is being interviewed about his provocation attempts on BBC Radio Live 5 at around 11am and later at lunchtime on Sky TV News (apparently)

Back
Top Bottom