Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

European flooding

Not sure what this bloke was thinking

Not the brightest spark. First he talks like he's in an action film, then laughs at and calls at the van in front a "son of a whore" for swimming away, then he keeps driving right into the deep end and to his surprise, keeps swimming away too. I don't know what I would do if surprised by a flood like this, though I'd probably stop and not also drive into the deep water.

Last edited:
Not the brightest spark. First he talks like he's in an action film, then calls at the van in front a "son of a whore" for swimming away, then he keeps driving right into the deep end and to his surprise, keeps swimming away too. Then I don't know what I would do if surprised by a flood like this, though I'd probably stop and not also drive into the deep water.

I've had to deal with it and the wisest course is usually to turn around. Trying to go through can be really dangerous because you don't know how deep it is or if the road has entirely washed away.

I wonder if climate change is changing the flood plain maps. We have areas that were in the 300 year flood plain, that flood every three to five years.
I live in a dry valley with an underground stream running through it. Every once in a while the stream surfaces but floods are supposed to be a once in a 100 year event. I've lived here about 30 years and it's happened at least three times since I've lived here. Prior to that I think there was a flood in the 1960s and before that , one in 1904. They've had to put in flood prevention measures which are basically holding areas to slow the water flow to the lower reaches of the valley. Without them the houses in the lower end would flood regularly. It's more or less worked so far but only just. One of our local roads is currently closed for a couple of weeks whilst they dig further drainage channels under it to direct more water to the original holding areas. We'll have to see if that works. If not, I guess in another few years they'll be taking further measures to safe-guard the houses.

Saw this from a post going around, haven't investigated myself but:
Here’s a couple links to places where you can donate. These will be in German, so make sure you have a translating tool at hand.

I wonder if they had any clear warnings.

It floods here but the environment agency are quite proactive and there are water level charts online.
There were warnings, and there were preparations. But at some places the former record high water marks were more than doubled, and authorities probably didn't see that coming.

This thread is titled "Bridges in the county of Ahrweiler"…

Back
Top Bottom