Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ethiopian Airlines 737 crashes on way to Kenya 157 onboard.

I assume it will be -8, -9 and -10 like the 787 and 777X products.

OK I see that the 737 MAX hasn't been rebranded to 737-8, they simply referred to the 737 MAX 8 as the 737-8 in a press release, presumably meaning the 737 MAX 7 will be 737-7 etc.

They did this with the 737NG, but that was fine because the 737NG came in -700 -800 and -900 flavours as opposed to the original 737 which came in -300, -400, -500.

BA are gonna buy a shitload of these things as well, like the scuzzers descending on Debenhams the past few days, picking over the bones to grab a bargain. If I were a pilot I’d crash one of the fuckers, just to screw things up for Boeing, the FAA and all the other wankers involved in this. But I am not a pilot, so DownwardDog, it’s over to you.

GOL has become the first operator to start flying the 737max8 again.

I for one would be very wary of getting on a 787max8, but would never in a million years set foot on GOL, their reputation is shite, so it's a good start...

1608563379067.png

The panel also said that the FAA has so far failed to fully comply with a congressional mandate to establish an aviation safety and whistleblower investigations office, and that some managers and even human resources professionals don't seem to understand what a whistleblower is or how to treat their complaints. In its interviews with FAA investigators responsible for probing whistleblower retaliation, the report said, FAA employees "were not sure what constituted whistleblowing or which FAA office was responsible for investigating such matters."

In addition, the report unearthed what it called "serious concerns related to credibility," citing documents the committee reviewed showing that in 2014, a whistleblower investigator "admitted to a colleague that they had been going after whistleblowers and boasted about how many had been fired as a result." That person, according to the committee, remains employed as a manager at FAA.

Among the report's new findings are that in at least one incident, Boeing coached a test pilot who was being evaluated on how well he could react to various conditions involving a flight control feature called MCAS, whose faulty activation was implicated in the MAX crashes. And, according to the report, the FAA test pilot appears to have been complicit in that coaching, the report said.

One might have thought with all these investigations and corrective work, that the Boeing 737 Max might now (or rather on its return) be the safest plane in the skies, and if that is the case people might clamour to fly in them over other models.

Personally I can't muster up such enthusiasm, I still don't want to fly in one.

I was looking at flights around Mexico next summer and Aero Mexico has a new category of aircraft, 7S8 that translates to BOEING 737-800 SCIMITAR WINGLETS JET which is presume is the Max-8.

They also have Embraer E90's on the routes, if we do it that is what I'll be heading towards.

One might have thought with all these investigations and corrective work, that the Boeing 737 Max might now (or rather on its return) be the safest plane in the skies, and if that is the case people might clamour to fly in them over other models.

Personally I can't muster up such enthusiasm, I still don't want to fly in one.
I am not sure it will (or deserves to) be regarded by anyone outside Boeing as ‘the safest’ plane. A more apt description would be ‘as safe as any other model’.

I don’t think it can ever be safer than the competing A320, due to the latter’s additional redundancy on various vital sensors and systems. That doesn’t mean is unsafe to fly per se. I’ve never given a moment’s thought about having to fly a 737 NG series for instance, even if there was a A320, which could be described as safer, serving the same route, because at the end of the day the NG is more than perfectly safe.

I was looking at flights around Mexico next summer and Aero Mexico has a new category of aircraft, 7S8 that translates to BOEING 737-800 SCIMITAR WINGLETS JET which is presume is the Max-8.

They also have Embraer E90's on the routes, if we do it that is what I'll be heading towards.

7S8 is a 'split scimitar' wing 737 which is an NG not a MAX. It has a slightly larger span than a 'normal' NG so it needs a different IATA code for ground handling.

The codes for the MAXs are 7M7, 7M8, 7M9 and 7MJ.

An Air Canada Boeing 737 Max aircraft has been forced to make an unscheduled landing after developing engine trouble, the airline has said.
The plane was en route from the US state of Arizona to Montreal in Canada when it was diverted shortly after take-off, Air Canada said.
The plane was carrying three crew members at the time and landed safely.

Not the best re-start...

I am not sure it will (or deserves to) be regarded by anyone outside Boeing as ‘the safest’ plane. A more apt description would be ‘as safe as any other model’.

I don’t think it can ever be safer than the competing A320, due to the latter’s additional redundancy on various vital sensors and systems. That doesn’t mean is unsafe to fly per se. I’ve never given a moment’s thought about having to fly a 737 NG series for instance, even if there was a A320, which could be described as safer, serving the same route, because at the end of the day the NG is more than perfectly safe.
IMO you're probably right in the first part but your reasoning is wrong. It's not about redundancy, it's about the extension or possibly over-extension of a design. Remember why MCAS exists - because the legacy 737 design has been pushed so far that it now requires these mitigations. That hasn't gone away for the 737, but it doesn't yet appear to apply to Airbus (the A320 came along much later).

Disruptive Conduct
IMO you're probably right in the first part but your reasoning is wrong. It's not about redundancy, it's about the extension or possibly over-extension of a design. Remember why MCAS exists - because the legacy 737 design has been pushed so far that it now requires these mitigations. That hasn't gone away for the 737, but it doesn't yet appear to apply to Airbus (the A320 came along much later).

nothing you wrote there is at all related, or maybe you just sharted on the keyboard. Bold bastard statements back up by nothing except more bold bastard statements.

nothing you wrote there is at all related, or maybe you just sharted on the keyboard. Bold bastard statements back up by nothing except more bold bastard statements.
You think this is an appropriate thread for your fucking around? Take another thread ban and another warning point.

The A320 is a 100% FBW aircraft and is therefore very different to the MAX but it does have something analogous to MCAS with Alpha Protection when flown in Normal Law. Alpha Protection will limit the AoA commanded by stick (exactly like MCAS) when the AoA is between α-Prot and α-Max. Inadvertently disabling Alpha Protection was one of the causes of the AF A330 crash that ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Last edited:
I don't think the MAX programme could survive another crash at this stage, even if the pandemic hadn't happened.

I don't think the MAX programme could survive another crash at this stage, even if the pandemic hadn't happened.

Of course it could. Another MAX is going to crash at some point ; that's a certainty with over 4,000 on order. Operators will keep buying to keep it alive in order to prevent Airbus from getting monopoly pricing power in the single aisle 150-250 seat market.

I thought this was interesting..

A former Boeing test pilot has been indicted in connection with the 737 Max

Forkner is expected to make an initial appearance Friday in federal court in Fort Worth, TX. If convicted, he faces up to 20 years in prison for each of the four counts of wire fraud, and up to 10 years in prison for each of two counts of fraud involving aircraft parts in interstate commerce.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/14/1046...indicted-737-max-mark-forkner?t=1634324840601

It was a system failure, its unlikely that senior management who focused on time and money, rather than safety will face criminal charges. Instead the company will pay a fine..

I thought this was interesting..

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/14/1046...indicted-737-max-mark-forkner?t=1634324840601

It was a system failure, its unlikely that senior management who focused on time and money, rather than safety will face criminal charges. Instead the company will pay a fine..

A bit part actor gets 20 years, the bosses get $20m. Business as usual.

Back
Top Bottom