Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Eric Bristow says football abuse victims are not "proper men"

But Bristow, 59, said the alleged victims should have stood up to their abusers.

In a series of messages on Twitter, he said: "Might be a looney but if some football coach was touching me when i was a kid as i got older i would have went back and sorted that p--- out." He later tweeted that he meant to say "paedo", rather than p---.

U got to sought him out when u get older or dont look in the mirror glad i am a dart player proper men

— Eric Bristow MBE (@ericbristow) November 28, 2016
what i was saying was when the football lads got older and fitter they should have went back and sorted him out

— Eric Bristow MBE (@ericbristow) November 28, 2016

"Dart players tough guys footballers wimps," he continued. "U got to sought him out when u get older or dont look in the mirror glad i am a dart player proper men," he wrote.

"Trouble is nowadays u cant tell the truth what do u feel out there tweet me. Everybody that works on tv is frightened to say the truth because they are frightened to lose their job, life shouldnt be like that.

"U people replying don't twist what i sent out, i tell the truth if u dont like it tough."

Utter cunt. Vile stupid man. I hope this is the start of his reputation/career being torn to fucking shreds.

Fucking MBE !??!? Jesus, I'll be getting one next.

in keeping with the rest of you - what an utter cock for even thinking like that

I can't help thinking that the world was a better place before twitter.
I'm not sure if it the world was a better place, however I don't think these public utterances are very helpful. Not sure if Bristow was just a bit careless with his words or if he really meant to say that the abused footballers were not real men. I'd like to hear him explain himself first before I jump on the condemnation bandwagon.

I'm not sure if it the world was a better place, however I don't think these public utterances are very helpful. Not sure if Bristow was just a bit careless with his words or if he really meant to say that the abused footballers were not real men. I'd like to hear him explain himself first before I jump on the condemnation bandwagon.
Quite clear what he said, and said repeatedly - real men would have sorted out the abuser either there and then or when they were older. I.e killed or severely injured them.

Quite clear what he said, and said repeatedly - real men would have sorted out the abuser either there and then or when they were older. I.e killed or severely injured them.

is this before or after the abuser was taken to hospital having tried to top himself?

tbh it's many years since i last heard of eric bristow and i am surprised so many of you seem to think his views are of any interest whatsoever

as for twitter preventing people holding sick views, a quick think back to mary beard and many other women facing onslaughts of foul abuse suggests that's not entirely the case

'just a bit of inter-sport banter, no harm done!'

Clearly an unwise thing to say in public, I'd still like to hear him try to explain what he meant (assuming that he can express himself in any kind of coherent way) before I start slagging him off in kneejerk fashion.

Clearly an unwise thing to say in public, I'd still like to hear him try to explain what he meant (assuming that he can express himself in any kind of coherent way) before I start slagging him off in kneejerk fashion.
He did try to clarify - again, in the link in the OP.

so we should wait about for bristow to come up with some bullshit excuse for victim blaming before condemning his victim blaming and homophobia and archaic definitions of masculinity?

so we should wait about for bristow to come up with some bullshit excuse for victim blaming before condemning his victim blaming and homophobia and archaic definitions of masculinity?
I guess you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. I've only seen the twitter comments which is not enough for me to do the outraged indignant thing. I'd like to hear him speak on newsnight or summat, look into his eyes and hear his tone of voice etc. A 140 characters or less twitter comment doesn't really do the job.

tbh it's many years since i last heard of eric bristow and i am surprised so many of you seem to think his views are of any interest whatsoever

as for twitter preventing people holding sick views, a quick think back to mary beard and many other women facing onslaughts of foul abuse suggests that's not entirely the case
Who said twitter prevents people from holding sick views?

I guess you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. I've only seen the twitter comments which is not enough for me to do the outraged indignant thing. I'd like to hear him speak on newsnight or summat, look into his eyes and hear his tone of voice etc. A 140 characters or less twitter comment doesn't really do the job.
What about a series of comments with the later ones clarifying what was meant by the earlier ones?

Back
Top Bottom