Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

This is a bit absolute. Some accidents you can't avoid entirely through anything other than unreasonable caution but we know that the driver didn't brake hard, the front of the car would have dipped if they had. They have about a second to do something and they don't. From the moment the car becomes visible to the point they crash into the white parked car they're just a passenger

I’ve rewatched the video just now. How long would you say, in the video, the black car appears before impact? I’m going to guess 1/10 of a second. What would you say?

I’ve rewatched the video just now. How long would you say, in the video, the black car appears before impact? I’m going to guess 1/10 of a second. What would you say?
About a second, and that's with the constrained perspective of the camera (although tbf the A-pillar might hinder visibility as much as any side view helps it). The "thinking distance" time in the Highway Code is 0.7 seconds, FWIW.

This. He hits her at the same speed he’s been driving at all the way along the road, despite having a couple of seconds from when the black car first comes into view.

No it's not a couple of seconds, on the dashcam she only comes into view only after it clocked over at 18.14.26, and they hit at the very point it clocks to 18.14.27, so just under a second, which is thinking time.

If he had been going couple of mph less, as you suggested, even if had slammed on the brakes, he couldn't have stopped in time, the accident wouldn't have been avoided, because she clearly doesn't brake, she would have piled into the side of his car, in fact she would most probably have crashed into the driver's door.

I’ve been geeky enough to check just now. (You can find out FPS in YouTube, and also do frame by frame steps)

The video is 30 frames per second.

6 frames elapse from the black car breaching the stop line to impact.

How about from when it actually comes into view & impact?

The camera is only looking straight ahead. Cars have side windows too. A look to the right as the driver approached the junction would have helped considerably and given an extra second of stopping time, evven slightly more.

The camera is only looking straight ahead. Cars have side windows too. A look to the right as the driver approached the junction would have helped considerably and given an extra second of stopping time, evven slightly more.

Which comes back to the point of treating every side road driver as non-compliant.

(mauvais “Some accidents you can't avoid entirely through anything other than unreasonable caution”)

Last edited:
If he had been going couple of mph less, as you suggested, even if had slammed on the brakes, he couldn't have stopped in time, the accident wouldn't have been avoided, because she clearly doesn't brake, she would have piled into the side of his car, in fact she would most probably have crashed into the driver's door.
:hmm: He would have needed to be going faster for her to hit his driver's door. Slower, he's got enough space there to do something. He has anyway but he just cruises straight on into her. And he doesn't have to stop to avoid the collision, just slow down.

:hmm: He would have needed to be going faster for her to hit his driver's door. Slower, he's got enough space there to do something. He has anyway but he just cruises straight on into her. And he doesn't have to stop to avoid the collision, just slow down.

Cruises.. 1/5 of a second.

Cruises.. 1/5 of a second.
That's from going over the stop line. You see the black car well before that and he has enough time to be on the brakes. If he'd been going slower as he'd approached the "crossroad" he'd have had more. He should have done better.

Last edited:
Here we can see how long the approaching car is visible for - and this is without turning the head to look out of the right window.
IMO there's enough space to stop in time (~6m needed to stop, at 20mph)

But .. that's for a driver paying attention. This individual was clearly not.

Attachments

• CRASH.png
    CRASH.png
    720.2 KB · Views: 17
Christ you lot can argue black is white! The car that didn't stop at the give way lines is in the wrong, end of.

Had the camera car been going at a proper lick then it would have been long gone before the transgression took place, so look and learn and never dip below 50 on roads like that, it's for safety.

I think so, pretty much on built up roads like that. That particular hazard (having right of way through what is effectively a crossroad) should always be anticipated and slowed for. I definitely don’t think that would have happened if I’d been driving the camera car. Not like that anyway. I might have taken off her back bumper. Unless perhaps I’d been listening to James Blunt all morning.
I think we all agree that Blunt needs to step up and take his share of responsibility for this crash

I’ve been geeky enough to check just now. (You can find out FPS in YouTube, and also do frame by frame steps)

The video is 30 frames per second.

6 frames elapse from the black car breaching the stop line to impact.
That's from going over the stop line. You see the black car well before that and he has enough time to be on the brakes. If he'd been going slower as he'd approached the "crossroad" he'd have had more. He should have done better.
Yep. You can slow YT clips down to 0.25x in the ordinary settings, and the time from visible to collision in that is 3.6 seconds, which I make to be 0.9 in dog years.

not manslaughter - they actually go out and plan to do it? :eek:
Yes - look at the replies on the last page of the thread. People are saying the driver didn't do anything wrong, because they are driving at a speed that would be ok if no other driver does something wrong like come out of a side road without looking. The only safe way to drive down the street is to do so at a speed where you can stop in time for any possible event. It might be this other car suddenly appearing or it might be an innocent child suddenly appearing. The act of driving with this attitude necessarily puts people at risk of death. So, they get in their car, probably listen to something even more bland than James blunt, and set off in the knowledge they are doing something the that could kill people even though they don't need to. We can argue whether it's technically murder but why not just say murder to get a reaction from the petrolheads? It passes the time and potentially they spend time arguing on here instead of going out murdering people in their cars.

Yes - look at the replies on the last page of the thread. People are saying the driver didn't do anything wrong, because they are driving at a speed that would be ok if no other driver does something wrong like come out of a side road without looking. The only safe way to drive down the street is to do so at a speed where you can stop in time for any possible event. It might be this other car suddenly appearing or it might be an innocent child suddenly appearing. The act of driving with this attitude necessarily puts people at risk of death. So, they get in their car, probably listen to something even more bland than James blunt, and set off in the knowledge they are doing something the that could kill people even though they don't need to. We can argue whether it's technically murder but why not just say murder to get a reaction from the petrolheads? It passes the time and potentially they spend time arguing on here instead of going out murdering people in their cars.
I'm actually arguing the toss on this whilst driving so if anything the joke's on you.

Indeed, those cars shouldn't have been parked there. If they hadn't his speed would have been perfectly reasonable.

tbf seeing as how easily you can get bashed by an inattentive fuckwit makes me think that a Marauder makes for an idea vehicle for the city streets.

View attachment 270152
I think it's the only way forward. Seeing as we have already established speed bumps are badly designed and cause all cars smaller than a Chelsea tractor to slow down to a crawl for each one and accelerate again, creating extra pollution and noise, I think the smallest sensible size for cities nowadays for both safety and public health reasons is a Range Rover-type vehicle. No need to slow down for bumps + extra protection from idiots :cool:

Back
Top Bottom