Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

We have friends in Leeds and Sheffield. Used to pile in the car to go see them.

We often used to think - it could be easier by train - but why does it cost more than a single person driving a car each to use the train?

We often used to think - it could be easier by train - but why does it cost more than a single person driving a car each to use the train?
And a taxi at both ends, twice. It makes no sense at all, unless you happen to live within pissing distance from a train station, and/or you're loaded.

Actually I'd probably settle simply for men to be banned from driving, because they cause the most problems, driving twice as many miles per year, and causing a disproportionately high number of traffic incidents.
Only time I've been in an accident was when a woman drove into whilst checking her makeup in the rear view mirror. When me and a passerby pushed her car off the road it bump started as she had left it in gear and she drove off into the wall of a house. Turns out she was on her way home after picking the car up from the garage after being repaired from a previous accident. :eek:

Some people (both men and women) shouldn't be allowed on the road full stop.

I like Germany's idea where if you fail your driving test on the 3rd attempt then you are perma banned and get a free bus pass. :)

My parents have looked at going by train to Exeter to see relatives. It costs ~£40 in petrol to drive or £150 each by train. :eek:

I passed on third time

actually

but 30ish years ago decided I was the sort of driver best kept off the road and have hardly driven since :cool: I got my free bus pass a few years ago but it's fuck all use to me at the moment.

A couple of years ago we had to go to somewhere near Arundel for a wedding. I can’t remember if the station we needed was Arundel itself or a smaller one- I think the latter. All I know is that the only tickets/ route that would do it were £50 per head. From fucking London. Of course we ended up driving. £50 would get you across the entire country anywhere else in the world ffs.

Has anybody noticed that most of these people crying for a ban on cars are middle-class and either retired or close to retiring, with a nice big house with a garden?

Much like the OP, a gentrifier who used his privilege to oust some locals so he could move to zone two and take advantage of the magnificent public transport that affords him. Who then goes on to the internet to boast how he spends north of ten grand a year gadding about on leisurely sojourns on the rail network we all pay for but have not the time nor the money to enjoy.

If that's your aim I'd start by banning useless things such as football - no utility value, massive stadia taking up space in most cities and towns, causes lots of pointless travel both within and between countries, as well as alcohol-fueled violence, nationalism, racism and homophobia. It's a planet-killing hate machine and must be stopped.
The internationalisation of sport, and the huge amount of travel to international games, is also unsustainable. My god, there's some people on this thread who are going to be in for a shock when climate change hits home to them and they realise they actually have to make some lifestyle changes. You may think touring Europe to go to football games for a few hours is something you can't live without, but it isn't, and you will have to.

I really want the transition to a more sustainable and just economy to be achievable by positive changes to people's lives but the kind of whining you get when you suggest people might have to change their habits in any way makes me worry that we have to prepare for a big reaction from entitled people, even once climate change starts to affect quality of life in the UK.

Much like the OP, a gentrifier who used his privilege to oust some locals so he could move to zone two and take advantage of the magnificent public transport that affords him. Who then goes on to the internet to boast how he spends north of ten grand a year gadding about on leisurely sojourns on the rail network we all pay for but have not the time nor the money to enjoy.
I wasn't aware of that but I'm not in the least surprised. It's exactly what I expect from 'those types'.

Bahnhof Strasse forgot to mention my large collection of £1k+ road bikes - which I ride on the pavements, shouting at pedestrians to get out of the way, and ignoring red lights. Often I take these on the train; I sit in first class of course, which is paid for out of my income which is basically made up of various government grants to carry out pointless consultancy work furthering the interests of me and my middle class mates in London, anyway I sit in first class but chuck the bike in the vestibule of one of the standard class carriages where it gets in everyones way. If anyone complains about it I ask them what they are doing about climate change, and I tell these plebs that I assume they have their car parked at whatever station they are getting off at, and that they are only going to drive 30 miles to their home, and I don't care if there's no public transport, why don't they get a bike like I do, and that if they don't think they can manage that distance maybe they should just put some effort into getting fit, instead of standing there having a go at someone like me just trying to do my bit for the environment. Then I throw my coffee at them, which is some kind of coffee with a pretentious name, that you can only get in first class.

Bahnhof Strasse forgot to mention my large collection of £1k+ road bikes - which I ride on the pavements, shouting at pedestrians to get out of the way, and ignoring red lights. Often I take these on the train; I sit in first class of course, which is paid for out of my income which is basically made up of various government grants to carry out pointless consultancy work furthering the interests of me and my middle class mates in London, anyway I sit in first class but chuck the bike in the vestibule of one of the standard class carriages where it gets in everyones way. If anyone complains about it I ask them what they are doing about climate change, and I tell these plebs that I assume they have their car parked at whatever station they are getting off at, and that they are only going to drive 30 miles to their home, and I don't care if there's no public transport, why don't they get a bike like I do, and that if they don't think they can manage that distance maybe they should just put some effort into getting fit, instead of standing there having a go at someone like me just trying to do my bit for the environment. Then I throw my coffee at them, which is some kind of coffee with a pretentious name, that you can only get in first class.

Knew it.

The internationalisation of sport, and the huge amount of travel to international games, is also unsustainable. My god, there's some people on this thread who are going to be in for a shock when climate change hits home to them and they realise they actually have to make some lifestyle changes. You may think touring Europe to go to football games for a few hours is something you can't live without, but it isn't, and you will have to.

Perhaps shutting the UK's border to economic migrants would be a good start. People from places such a Libya and Mali should stay where their carbon footprint is small, rather than migrating to countries where it will inevitably increase by at least an order of magnitude due to all the trappings of modern society they will attempt to avail themselves of.

I really want the transition to a more sustainable and just economy to be achievable by positive changes to people's lives but the kind of whining you get when you suggest people might have to change their habits in any way makes me worry that we have to prepare for a big reaction from entitled people, even once climate change starts to affect quality of life in the UK.

The most obvious way to transition to a more sustainable and just economy through positive changes to people's lives is by expanding nuclear power, but of course that's another thing that people are trying to eliminate without a proper assessment of the risks and benefits.

I can't decide if that's a self deprecating parody or a true story. I fear the latter.

Typical cyclist.

I know it's a terrible thing to do, but does anyone else piss themselves laughing when they drive past a *lycralist in the pouring rain?

*(Did I just invent a new word?)

Seems to keep getting more expensive too.

I mean fuck I had a mate over from Holland to spread the covids, and the fare from Manc airport to Shef was £30. So yes, I drove.

I know it's a terrible thing to do, but does anyone else piss themselves laughing when they drive past a *lycralist in the pouring rain?

*(Did I just invent a new word?)

But people do have the right to drive ten miles to eat out, they always have in this country. So it's no surprise that they act as if they do.

In fact the only country I can think of where people may not have that right is North Korea.

And Monaco- because you couldn’t go 10 miles...

Back
Top Bottom