Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

platinumsage there is no reasoning with Teuchter, Teuchter hates car owners because they have freedoms which non car owners don't have. And rather than bringing non car owners improvements to bring their freedoms closer to car owners, Teuchter prefers to consider removing car owners of their ownership of cars.

Levelling down rather than levelling up is his mantra, because some people have something that is good, which not all people have, they should be prevented from enjoying it and have it removed by edict. Rather than steps be taken so that more people can enjoy the good thing.

Yes more cars. That’s the answer.

Inefficiently allocated.

As I said the same argument could be applied to houses, shops, offices etc. For example I’d personally love it if everyone bought their tat online and the market was eliminated from my local town square, freeing up space for other uses. However I appreciate other people live their lives differently from me so I’m not going to advocate for the elimination of market stalls. Some regulations for the management of litter and noise from the market do however seem sensible.

As I said the same argument could be applied to houses, shops, offices etc. For example I’d personally love it if everyone bought their tat online and the market was eliminated from my local town square, freeing up space for other uses. However I appreciate other people live their lives differently from me so I’m not going to advocate for the elimination of market stalls. Some regulations for the management of litter and noise from the market do however seem sensible.
Imagine your local town with market stalls, selling tat, everywhere. Tat stalls all down the side of each street, and scattered around in the middle of the street too. Tat stalls outside your house. Multistorey buildings filled with tat stalls on each floor. Shops and public buildings with large areas of nothing but tat stalls in front of them. In some places, tat stalls set up in the middle of the pavement so you can't get round the side of them with a pushchair. As you move out of the immediate centre there might be some sort of ring road, with 4 lanes of tat stalls. It'll probably have been built in the 60s or 70s and a few residential streets will have been demolished to make way for people to put up as many tat stalls as possible. As you move further out you'll find buildings increasingly spaced out to make way for even larger tat stall areas, and eventually you'll find places where the buildings are smaller in area than the tat stalls compounds that surround them. You will be wondering: do we really need this many tat stalls? Isn't there a better way of doing this? You stop at a stall selling che guevara t-shirts. You've noticed a lot of other stalls selling che guevara t-shirts. There are only two t-shirts on the stall, surrounded by empty table space. You suggest the stall holder could combine their operation with some others, because maybe ten stalls worth of t-shirts would easily fit on one table and that they could organise themselves so that they took turns and everyone could work 1 day in 10. The stall holder looks at you as if you are crazy, and accuses you of trying to take away their freedom. They say you are jealous, because you don't have your own tat stall. They ask why you want to bring everyone down to your level. They suggest that some woodland on the edge of down is cleared for a new tat stall compound, and then you can set yours up there, and then everyone will be happy. It starts raining and you go home.

If cars were silent, had zero emissions, generated no particulates, were made 100% accident proof causing no injuries, ran on virtual roads by hovering above green landscapes, were grown from vats using only organic materials, were totally recyclable and ran on solar power, people would still object to them despite all the benefits they provide for people. There would be campaigns to have them banned due to their aesthetic disagreeability and deleterious effects on the mosquito population.

Remarkable foresight :eek:

Last edited:
Automated driving electric cars/minibuses acting as a taxi service on demand for anyone who wants them? Was the suggestion I saw.

I've never learned to drive or owned a car. Sure, it's probably made a few decisions for me in life, but nothing that crucial. Whilst I understand that in our current infrastructure some people may need cars, I see neighbours viewing cars as 'essential' to drive what would be no more than a fifteen minute walk. One of my daughters friends mums seemed genuinely baffled as to how I could get to Croydon town centre if I didn't drive. . . It's like a 15 - 20 minute walk. I can still go to IKEA, the I can still get a full weeks family shopping in a rucksack. I find it utterly depressing that so much space is taken up by 'the floor is lava' road. Once again the roads round here are solid with cars, uncrossable without the pelican crossings (which are ignored by 50% of drivers). Where is everyone going? All day long? It doesn't stop.

Was out of London briefly yesterday and was reminded again how the often beautiful countryside of SE England is totally ruined by people constantly driving around it. Anyone who pretends that most of these people would take buses if they were available needs their head examining. They think it's just their god-given right to pop down the shops 5 miles away to get the custard they forgot, driving at 60mph along country roads to do so. They need to be stopped.

The begrudgery here is astounding. People who don't have cars because they either don't need them or can't pass a driving test, deciding that people who do need them and are intelligent enough to pass a driving test shouldn't be allowed to own a car.

Clear evidence that people who don’t travel by car are responsible for the pandemic.
Given the current situation with the virus, it should be obvious to any fool that cars containing a single occupant is the only way forward. It's not fewer cars we need, it's more roads and more parking spaces, but when all of the shops are gone, and everyone is working from home, we'll have plenty of space in the cities for high rise car parks.

Fun and games in my town regarding parking. Its a small riverside town and the stretch of river is very picturesque with several key landmarks but unfortunately somewhere along the way things kind of went wrong, now a large stretch of the embankment is pay and display parking bays. A total waste of a potentially beautiful riverside.

Fortunately the council are on the case. There has been compulsory purchases of some grotty nearby buildings and the whole area is going to be redeveloped. Yeah, it'll mostly be crazy expensive flats but that pays for the rest of the development which will include some much needed social housing and in general turn the riverside into a attraction in its own right and somewhere the town will be proud of and will attract more visitors.

What it means though is that the pay and display parking is going. There will be quite a few resident only bays left and there are several other public car parks in what is a small town. Of course though you can now hear the howls from the 1% who think the right to park anywhere they want is on the same level as fundamental human rights such as freedom of expression and right to liberty. You know the type, the sort who think frequency of bin collections is a more pressing political issue than child poverty and malnourishment.

Anyway, I don't normally get involved in consultations but soon as I heard their pathetic whinging I wrote to the council to give them my full support. It means nothing to me because I'll likely moved away long before the thing is built but you know, fuck em. :D

Imagine your local town with market stalls, selling tat, everywhere. Tat stalls all down the side of each street, and scattered around in the middle of the street too. Tat stalls outside your house. Multistorey buildings filled with tat stalls on each floor. Shops and public buildings with large areas of nothing but tat stalls in front of them. In some places, tat stalls set up in the middle of the pavement so you can't get round the side of them with a pushchair. As you move out of the immediate centre there might be some sort of ring road, with 4 lanes of tat stalls. It'll probably have been built in the 60s or 70s and a few residential streets will have been demolished to make way for people to put up as many tat stalls as possible. As you move further out you'll find buildings increasingly spaced out to make way for even larger tat stall areas, and eventually you'll find places where the buildings are smaller in area than the tat stalls compounds that surround them. You will be wondering: do we really need this many tat stalls? Isn't there a better way of doing this? You stop at a stall selling che guevara t-shirts. You've noticed a lot of other stalls selling che guevara t-shirts. There are only two t-shirts on the stall, surrounded by empty table space. You suggest the stall holder could combine their operation with some others, because maybe ten stalls worth of t-shirts would easily fit on one table and that they could organise themselves so that they took turns and everyone could work 1 day in 10. The stall holder looks at you as if you are crazy, and accuses you of trying to take away their freedom. They say you are jealous, because you don't have your own tat stall. They ask why you want to bring everyone down to your level. They suggest that some woodland on the edge of down is cleared for a new tat stall compound, and then you can set yours up there, and then everyone will be happy. It starts raining and you go home.

Sounds great, there must be full employment and a booming economy to keep those tat stalls in business. Working 1 day in 10 might sound like a good idea, but when the municipal stallholders association starts allocating the best workdays based on a complex and infuriating formula, it doesn't take long before most workers end up out of pocket.

Imagine you set out from your 20sqft apartment and head down to the market to buy a che guevara t-shirt, but when you get there you find all the stalls have been replaced by a pop-up mime workshop. Not deterred you head to the bus stop, intending to visit one of the t-shirt shops located in the suburbs. After fruitlessly waiting an hour for a bus someone tells you they've been cancelled due to rioting by unemployed stall traders. You flag down a taxi. The driver says she's not allowed to go that way any more, and that since the road and pavement was replaced with an alternative transport corridor, you'll only be permitted to use the route on a unicycle (unless you're disabled in which case you can get the disabled persons bus which leaves from the town centre every second wednesday). You head home and tell your nephew that you have been unable to buy a che guevara t-shirt for his birthday because you can't ride a unicycle, but not to worry because he can share his friend's one. He tells you that's fine, because he only goes out once every ten days anyway when he gets some clothes to wear from their clothing share group. The other days if desperate he goes shopping wearing a cardboard box, but obviously only if the weather is dry.

Last edited:
Fun and games in my town regarding parking. Its a small riverside town and the stretch of river is very picturesque with several key landmarks but unfortunately somewhere along the way things kind of went wrong, now a large stretch of the embankment is pay and display parking bays. A total waste of a potentially beautiful riverside.

Fortunately the council are on the case. There has been compulsory purchases of some grotty nearby buildings and the whole area is going to be redeveloped. Yeah, it'll mostly be crazy expensive flats but that pays for the rest of the development which will include some much needed social housing and in general turn the riverside into a attraction in its own right and somewhere the town will be proud of and will attract more visitors.
You haven't thought this through, have you, or do you actually believe that expensive housing and loads of people travelling to see some water and a bit of green is the way forward?
And what about those who like looking at cars, do their wants and needs matter less than the wants and needs of those who like looking at water? Run a bath and put some green food colouring in it if water and green are your things.

You haven't thought this through, have you, or do you actually believe that expensive housing and loads of people travelling to see some water and a bit of green is the way forward?
And what about those who like looking at cars, do their wants and needs matter less than the wants and needs of those who like looking at water? Run a bath and put some green food colouring in it if water and green are your things.

Every time I read one of your posts in my head I read it in the voice of a pissed up street drinker. I do it subconsciously, strange. Anyway, back on ignore you go. Feel free to carry on shouting into the void, like say a street drinker.

Was out of London briefly yesterday and was reminded again how the often beautiful countryside of SE England is totally ruined by people constantly driving around it. Anyone who pretends that most of these people would take buses if they were available needs their head examining. They think it's just their god-given right to pop down the shops 5 miles away to get the custard they forgot, driving at 60mph along country roads to do so. They need to be stopped.

How did you get there? How would you have got there, and how would you buy your custard, if all the public transport was stopped?

Sounds great, there must be full employment and a booming economy to keep those tat stalls in business. Working 1 day in 10 might sound like a good idea, but when the municipal stallholders association starts allocating the best workdays based on a complex and infuriating formula, it doesn't take long before most workers end up out of pocket.

Imagine you set out from your 20sqft apartment and head down to the market to buy a che guevara t-shirt, but when you get there you find all the stalls have been replaced by a pop-up mime workshop. Not deterred you head to the bus stop, intending to visit one of the t-shirt shops located in the suburbs. After fruitlessly waiting an hour for a bus someone tells you they've been cancelled due to rioting by unemployed stall traders. You flag down a taxi. The driver says she's not allowed to go that way any more, and that since the road and pavement was replaced with an alternative transport corridor, you'll only be permitted to use the route on a unicycle (unless you're disabled in which case you can get the disabled persons bus which leaves from the town centre every second wednesday). You head home and tell your nephew that you have been unable to buy a che guevara t-shirt for his birthday because you can't ride a unicycle, but not to worry because he can share his friend's one. He tells you that's fine, because he only goes out once every ten days anyway when he gets some clothes to wear from their clothing share group. The other days if desperate he goes shopping wearing a cardboard box, but obviously only if the weather is dry.
I can see that like weltweit you have an underlying fear that reductions in motor use are the thin end of the wedge that has full-on communism at its other end, and your freedom will indeed only be taken from your cold dead hands.

I can see that like weltweit you have an underlying fear that reductions in motor use are the thin end of the wedge that has full-on communism at its other end, and your freedom will indeed only be taken from your cold dead hands.

The thin end of the wedge for you might be the reduction in housing that sees you relocated to a soviet-style eco-shoebox, to free up urban space for "something more useful".

Maybe there needs to be an alternative way of displaying and proving their masculinity and freedom?

Back
Top Bottom