Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

A friend of mine makes his living doing that (well, not just burgers, but food)
A friend's wife shoots tv food adverts. She did one for Sainsbury's at xmas which featured a cooked Turkey and apparently they painted the bird with washing up liquid to get the right sheen on it under the studio lights.

There must be all sorts of little tricks and trade secrets involved. Funny when restaurants have a go at taking their own food photos for their menus, usually doesnt turn out very well.
The trick is that most of the food isn't actually food, at least not the food it's supposed to be. Even simple things like frosting on the outside of glasses, it's hairspray or something similar. Mashed potato is used as ice cream. It's all a lie.

The trick is that most of the food isn't actually food. Even simple things like frosting on the outside of glasses, it's hairspray or something similar. Mashed potato is used as ice cream. It's all a lie.

Did suspect that when the Lindt Master Chocolatier lovingly pours molten chocolate into a mould it might really be brown paint.

Roads and car parking take up more than a third of space in two of Scotland's biggest cities, analysis by the Scottish Parliament has found.

Scotland's Futures Forum - Holyrood's think tank - used three case studies in Glasgow and Dundee to find how much space is dedicated to private vehicles in comparison to other forms of transport.
It found that roads, car parks and on-street parking account for between 34.5% and 41% of space in the cities.

Green spaces, public transport and cycling infrastructure are "extremely lacking" and "appear to be of relatively low priority", the analysis said.

Good to see this point gradually being more often made in mainstream news.

Unsurprisingly, car drivers are creating loads of microplastic pollution. Another good reason to ban them.

This is true. I sometimes drive a car, and have devoted the last thirty years of my life to creating microplastics in my spare time. I even have a lab & workshop set up in the shed to increase productivity.

If only they fitted those evil private cars the same magic tyres they fit to the Ubers, taxis and minicabs that take us to the airport or from the nightclub, the club car vehicles we hire for pennies at weekends and drive almost as frequently as others drive their privately owned cars, the vans who deliver our online shopping, the motorcycles who bring our takeaways, the buses and coaches that take us places, the council vehicles that take away our rubbish, or the utility fleet cars that help mantain our facilities and utilities, there'd be no microplastics in the ocean. Damn you, privately owned cars!

More to the point .... who fucking cares? The function of tyres are to keep the car stuck to the road under aggressive acceleration, whilst cornering at high speed, and when you hit the brakes to avoid chipping your paintwork on some dozy cycle wanker. When I'm doing 130mph+ around twisting country roads I want to be on tyres I can trust. Bollocks to the oceans.

Last edited:
More to the point .... who fucking cares? The function of they tyres are to keep the car stuck to the road under aggressive acceleration, whilst cornering at high speed, and when you hit the brakes to avoid some dozy cycle wanker. When I'm doing 130mph+ around twisting country roads I want to be on tyres I can trust. Bollocks to the oceans.
Exactly. Nice sticky rubber is essential. Although it does get a bit costly when you're going through a rear tyre on a hayabusa every 500 miles, and getting about 12mpg. You'd think bikes would be cheap to run but once you start using them as they're meant to be used...

If cars were silent, had zero emissions, generated no particulates, were made 100% accident proof causing no injuries, ran on virtual roads by hovering above green landscapes, were grown from vats using only organic materials, were totally recyclable and ran on solar power, people would still object to them despite all the benefits they provide for people. There would be campaigns to have them banned due to their aesthetic disagreeability and deleterious effects on the mosquito population.

Exactly. Nice sticky rubber is essential. Although it does get a bit costly when you're going through a rear tyre on a hayabusa every 500 miles, and getting about 12mpg. You'd think bikes would be cheap to run but once you start using them as they're meant to be used...
I ran some Yokos on my S4 that were almost like chewing gum, especially in the summer. Not cheap at £300 a pop (and this was in the early 90s) and they lasted for about 2000 miles but they were the best performance upgrade I ever made to a car.

If cars were silent, had zero emissions, generated no particulates, were made 100% accident proof causing no injuries, ran on virtual roads by hovering above green landscapes, were grown from vats using only organic materials, were totally recyclable and ran on solar power, people would still object to them despite all the benefits they provide for people.
That's correct.

Your list of "solved problems" demonstrates that you have failed to comprehend the scope of the issues that they cause.

I ran some Yokos on my S4 that were almost like chewing gum, especially in the summer. Not cheap at £300 a pop (and this was in the early 90s) and they lasted for about 2000 miles but they were the best performance upgrade I ever made to a car.
All sports bike tyres are like that. When the contact patch is the size of a match box, that bit of rubber better be good. It's amazing really that that little bit of rubber manages to retain traction at 200mph.

That's correct.

Your list of "solved problems" demonstrates that you have failed to comprehend the scope of the issues that they cause.

What about the benefits? Surely the benefits they provide to people should be balanced against the problems - at some stage as problems associated with cars are solved even the most anti-car person should agree that cars offer a net benefit to society. As cars improve the arguments deployed against cars could become equally valid against, for example, houses of more than 200sqft, or sewers.

Last edited:
Everything causes 'issues'. Every single leisure and pleasurable activity or product we consume causes 'issues' if one looks hard enough. Therefore let's ban everything.

What about the benefits? Surely the benefits they provide to people should be balanced against the problems - at some stage as problems associated with cars are solved even the most anti-car person should agree that cars offer a net benefit to society. As cars improve the arguments deployed against cars could become equally valid against, for example, houses of more than 200sqft, or sewers.
That's all correct.

I look forward to seeing how the problems associated with cars, including the ones you didn't include in your list, are going to be solved through measures that don't involve reducing private car use.

I predict that magical hovering technology will improve at a faster rate than the quality of T & P's posts on this subject.

That's all correct.

I look forward to seeing how the problems associated with cars, including the ones you didn't include in your list, are going to be solved through measures that don't involve reducing private car use.

You do? The main problem for decades was asserted to be exhaust emissions, but that is clearly on the way to being solved. At what point will the considerable benefits outweigh the remaining problems? We surely won't need hover cars to achieve that, unless of course you haven't accounted for the benefits as thoroughly as you've accounted for the problems.

Last edited:
That's all correct.

I predict that magical hovering technology will improve at a faster rate than the quality of T & P's posts on this subject.
Are you in favour of a total ban on alcohol in this country? Because it already causes far bigger problems to society than cars do as it is, let alone if cars "had zero emissions, generated no particulates, were made 100% accident proof causing no injuries, ran on virtual roads by hovering above green landscapes, were grown from vats using only organic materials, were totally recyclable and ran on solar power", as in the scenario proposed by platinumsage that hilariously still is not good enough...

You do? The main problem for decades was asserted to be exhaust emissions, but that is clearly on the way to being solved. At what point will the considerable benefits outweigh the remaining problems? We surely won't need hover cars to achieve that, unless of course you haven't accounted for the benefits as thoroughly as you've accounted for the problems.
Have you read any of this thread?

Although (because EVs are heavier) ...

the increased popularity of electric vehicles will likely not have a great effect on PM levels. Non-exhaust emissions already account for over 90% of PM10 and 85% of PM2.5 emissions from traffic.

Are you in favour of a total ban on alcohol in this country?
I'd certainly be very interested in an alternative to alcohol that eliminated most of the problems associated with it, which still allowed you to enjoy most of the benefits associated with it, and then offered some further benefits on top.

Have you got this alternative ready for use and discussion yet?

Have you read any of this thread?

I think I got bored when either you or someone else suggested building more Park & Ride car parks would help solve the problem of people driving. I think it was around page 94.

I suppose I shouldn’t have expected any sort of risk-benefit analysis on a thread with “propaganda” in the title.

Cars were effectively banned when cv struck weren't they? (Haven't got a car so don't really know, and I've not followed the thread for a while so don't know whether this has been addressed).

So it is possible - banning them would just extend this. :)

I think I got bored when either you or someone else suggested building more Park & Ride car parks would help solve the problem of people driving. I think it was around page 94.

I suppose I shouldn’t have expected any sort of risk-benefit analysis on a thread with “propaganda” in the title.

Yeah, I argued against park and ride as a solution. You're not actually interested - fair enough. And yes, well spotted on the title.

Back
Top Bottom