Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Hero!

The article below that one explains what the air-recycling button does in a car, as if this is an enormous revelation, complete with vox pops from credulous individuals expressing amazement and awe.

I have no particular point in pointing this out, apart from to be an old man shaking my head at the state of the world.

“Chris Berry, a member of local campaign group Save our Seafront, described the protest as "a peaceful parking flash mob".
Speaking to BBC West, he said: "I can see about 40 cars all enjoying the view of the sea.”

These people are utterly fucking mental.

“Chris Berry, a member of local campaign group Save our Seafront, described the protest as "a peaceful parking flash mob".
Speaking to BBC West, he said: "I can see about 40 cars all enjoying the view of the sea.”

These people are utterly fucking mental.
Bet they're all audi drivers too.

Why does that article blur the numberplates of the protest cars? It's not as if faces get blurred when there are human protests.

What exactly is the problem they’re trying to solve here?

I guess I kind of get driverless cars but doubt they’re ever going to be safe enough to actually work and again struggle to see what problem they’re solving to make the extra risks worth it.

I guess I kind of get driverless cars but doubt they’re ever going to be safe enough to actually work and again struggle to see what problem they’re solving to make the extra risks worth it.

The argument would be that there are fewer risks, not extra risks. Which wouldn't be that surprising with these more limited forms; not speeding as much (max 80mph, maybe 70mph UK - not that clear from article), keeping proper distance etc, and is born out by Ford's obviously totally unbiased claim of no accidents in 60m miles. It does only work on motorways, which are generally safer anyway, and I'm not going to find and unpack the data to see how well it holds up in reality... But that is the principle. Though dunno how that gets you to hands off driving.

I'm broadly in favour of driverless cars as lo g as the endpoint involves banning humans from driving. Then we could combine some of the cars into larger vehicles (some would be big enough to have two storeys, or 'decks' ; others could run on tracks)

The argument would be that there are fewer risks, not extra risks. Which wouldn't be that surprising with these more limited forms; not speeding as much (max 80mph, maybe 70mph UK - not that clear from article), keeping proper distance etc, and is born out by Ford's obviously totally unbiased claim of no accidents in 60m miles. It does only work on motorways, which are generally safer anyway, and I'm not going to find and unpack the data to see how well it holds up in reality... But that is the principle. Though dunno how that gets you to hands off driving.
Yeah I get that argument but is safety the problem they’re trying to solve? Seems more like they’re doing it because they can.

Find it funny that there’s such a backlash against smart motorways that improve capacity and journey times with no evidence they’re more unsafe but everyone’s fine to plough on with this sort of stuff when there seems to be no benefit.

Yeah I get that argument but is safety the problem they’re trying to solve? Seems more like they’re doing it because they can.

Find it funny that there’s such a backlash against smart motorways that improve capacity and journey times with no evidence they’re more unsafe but everyone’s fine to plough on with this sort of stuff when there seems to be no benefit.

Yeah I totally agree with that, though I'm not sure how much of it is motivated so much as 'everyone else is doing, we have to do it first' (similar problem to AI). It's not as if building a bunch of extra tech into a vehicle is inherently a good thing for the company; whole new areas of r&d, new departments, higher intrinsic costs... Yeah they have a subscription fee, but that must be a long way off being profitable. But it can be both that and deliver a safety benefit I suppose. Just that the safety element probably doesn't benefit from the tech race (obvs see Tesla).

Back
Top Bottom