Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Love that this thread has pretty much died as even platty has realised that cars are awful but we’ve still got to win the battle further afield where apparently Dan Walker getting hit by a driver is all his own fault and car culture is so ingrained that even he is preaching about wearing polystyrene hats rather than maybe drivers should be a bit better.

Love that this thread has pretty much died as even platty has realised that cars are awful but we’ve still got to win the battle further afield where apparently Dan Walker getting hit by a driver is all his own fault and car culture is so ingrained that even he is preaching about wearing polystyrene hats rather than maybe drivers should be a bit better.

Might his point about wearing a helmet just be that it's a good thing to do because drivers can often be crap. It just says "wear a helmet". . . that could be the same as "Be careful out there boys and girls"

Might his point about wearing a helmet just be that it's a good thing to do because drivers can often be crap. It just says "wear a helmet". . . that could be the same as "Be careful out there boys and girls"
Yes - we’ve just come to accept that drivers are often crap and there’s seemingly nothing we can do about it. Depressing isn’t it.

I've probably mentioned this somewhere before but when I took part in the Race Around The Netherlands one of the conditions was that all riders had to wear helmets. It was bloody embarrassing to be riding through towns where hundreds of people were all riding bikes and no-one else was using helmets. Basically you can spot foreigners a mile off because they're just about the only people riding in "plastic hats".

I've probably mentioned this somewhere before but when I took part in the Race Around The Netherlands one of the conditions was that all riders had to wear helmets. It was bloody embarrassing to be riding through towns where hundreds of people were all riding bikes and no-one else was using helmets. Basically you can spot foreigners a mile off because they're just about the only people riding in "plastic hats".
Don't the Dutch racing types (Weelrenners?) wear helmets. I thought they did.

No idea.

The cities and towns I rode through were full of non "racing types" riding bicycles everywhere.

What's your point, caller?

No idea.

The cities and towns I rode through were full of non "racing types" riding bicycles everywhere.

What's your point, caller?
My understanding is that the Dutch have two words for what we call cyclists.

Fietsers are just getting around and don't wear helmets.

Wielrenners are racing around and way more likely to wear helmets and lycra, the full kit.

If you were doing something called Race around the Netherlands, It maybe wasn't as embarrassing as you think to be wearing safety gear?

Last edited:
Anyway, the point is that helmets are useful to protect you from yourself when you're whizzing down a mountain, way less useful when a car didn't see you there, sorry mate.

I've got a hi vis vest and get to tell drivers to go away if they've not got a fiver, pretty much absolute authority.
I assume it’s a tenner for drivers of large SUVs? That would only be fair, given that they take more space.

1300 quid a year is a lot less than buying a new car, and probably less than zip car for a few hours or an Uber each way.

This is a rational decision.
Should probably increase it then for people like Sue for who public transport is obviously beneath them.

1300 quid a year is a lot less than buying a new car, and probably less than zip car for a few hours or an Uber each way.

This is a rational decision.
Shouldn't the resale value and running cost of the mercedes be figured in to any "rational decision" though?

As well as the fact that public transport is free for her. Really puts to bed the lie that if public transport was good enough and cheap enough people wouldn’t drive.
Only for a particular type of selfish arsehole. Evidence generally points towards the “build it and they will come” end of things.

Only for a particular type of selfish arsehole. Evidence generally points towards the “build it and they will come” end of things.
What evidence? In London Sue already has it but I imagine turning up to her tennis club on a bus is just too much for her to bear.

Edit: what I mean is good and cheap public transport alone won’t stop people driving - you need to also make driving inconvenient and expensive. Sue’s excuse is that public transport isn’t convenient which just isn’t true.

Last edited:
I think the trouble with Sue is that the tube doesn't pick her up from her door and drop her off at her destination.

To be fair, the journey from Kew to Ealing is really simple by road and really very close. I used to live in Ealing and work near kew and i'd just walk it. The tube was more bother than it was worth. I'd never dream of getting in a car though.

I assume she is heading roughly from Kew Gardens (kew village is a made up name) to Ealing Common. This is a simple one bus journey, but to be fair, taking the tube for that journey is indeed 'bloody inconvenient'. The problem with the article is that they have cherry picked a short journey which is a bollocks tube journey and a simple 10 minute car ride.

I can do the same. I can get a tram from outside my house to east croydon station. If I want to drive I have to follow a one way system that takes a lot longer and I can't park. Bloody inconvenient cars.

Back
Top Bottom