Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

“Because I want to”.

That’s literally the only argument they have.
That's pretty much how pluralist societies accommodate all of our desires for personsl freedom. It's a give-and-take, finding the balance between letting people do what they want, and the harms that might cause.

All cars have the potential to be dangerous. It's the "playing" with them i.e. how they're driven that's the real issue. Focusing on the power of a minority is, I suspect, not the best way to improve road safety. I don't have a car (albeit I drive my wife's, sometimes), but I ride bikes. Some of them are capable of terrifying speeds and face-melting acceleration, but I tend to save that for the track. There's no reason why I can't enjoy them on the road at slower speeds the rest of the time.
That’s complete bollocks. The fact that all cars have the potential to be dangerous is exactly why extra justification is necessary to decide what is used and when. The fact that all cars have the potential to be dangerous is why they shouldn’t be used recklessly. The fact that all cars are potentially dangerous is exactly why there is no excuse for cars to be on the public road that needlessly increase that potential danger.

You’re arguing that costs and benefits have to be weighed. I agree, and I’m saying that benefits that amount to “it’s fun” are laughably insufficient, when it comes to cars, for the costs associated with that “fun”

You’re arguing that costs and benefits have to be weighed. I agree, and I’m saying that benefits that amount to “it’s fun” are laughably insufficient, when it comes to cars, for the costs associated with that “fun”
That's fair enough. Maybe one day that'll become the majority view, and there will be more and more restrictions on what cars people are allowed to drive. But that doesn't seem very likely to me in the short to medium term - if anything, the trend is in the opposite direction, with more people aspiring to drive cars capable of better and better performance.

That's fair enough. Maybe one day that'll become the majority view, and there will be more and more restrictions on what cars people are allowed to drive. But that doesn't seem very likely to me in the short to medium term - if anything, the trend is in the opposite direction, with more people aspiring to drive cars capable of better and better performance.
The point of discussions is to challenge what is seen as “normal” in the hope of driving long-term change.

People don't need "an excuse" to choose to live differently from you. And I'm not sure that stopping them from doing so would have all that much effect; I don't have the date data, but I'd be surprised if most accidents were are speeds below the national limit. There's plenty of things that would help road safety before that.
I will be the first to admit that "contributory factor" is not the same as "was the vehicle speeding". But IME most accidents do occur at low speeds. It's just that the high speed ones are exceptionally dangerous.

In 2020, for all accidents, 4% (4,454) of vehicles had an exceeding the speed limit contributory factor allocated to them. This percentage has increased since 2014, although raw numbers have decreased, with the value being 2.5% (5,381) in 2014.

Motorcycles had the highest proportion of accidents (7.1%) where exceeding the speed limit was a contributory factor. 26% of fatal motorcycle accidents had exceeding the speed limit as a contributory factor, compared to 10% for all vehicles.

HGVs had the lowest proportion of accidents (1%) in 2020 where exceeding the speed limit was a contributory factor. This may relate to HGVs being speed limited or the drivers being professionally trained.

If it didn’t work, we’d still be living with the assumptions and norms of 500 years ago.
Of course it can work.

But many of the alternatives to the assumptions and norms of 500 years ago were bonkers, and widely rejected.

Time will tell how society reacts in this instance.

Of course it can work.

But many of the alternatives to the assumptions and norms of 500 years ago were bonkers, and widely rejected.

Time will tell how society reacts in this instance.
The point of discussions is to challenge what is seen as “normal” in the hope of driving long-term change.
Note the use of the word “driving”. Not “sitting back and hoping others come to agree”. Not “let’s just see what the reaction is”

Note the use of the word “driving”. Not “sitting back and hoping others come to agree”. Not “let’s just see what the reaction is”
I did note it; my posts to that into account. I can't see anyone successfully driving such a change in the short to medium term.

I will be the first to admit that "contributory factor" is not the same as "was the vehicle speeding". But IME most accidents do occur at low speeds. It's just that the high speed ones are exceptionally dangerous.

And it goes beyond safety as measured by deaths or injuries - aggressive driving (which includes but isn't limited to speeding) has a major impact on how streets and roads are perceived by pedestrians and cyclists (influencing journey choices), and on the general quality of life of anyone living on, or using them.

I’m sure all urbanites would agree that direct action that they don’t approve of is a very bad thing, and that people shouldn’t take the law into their own hands if they are wrong:

No, but I also don’t think you needed to post that as you could have easily posted that clip without also giving those loons a platform

No I couldn’t have easily posted it, and I wanted to highlight the nature of the debate in Oxford, there’s a big involvement of anti-vaxxers in the congestion charge protests - worth highlighting I think.

Back
Top Bottom