Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Yes, 'should' and 'must'. I addressed it. The fact that pedestrians have right of way whether crossing or 'waiting to cross' though, doesn't change. You know this (you certainly shouldn't be driving if you don't)

The don't have a "right" of way. Check out rule 8 and rule 19 in the HC for starters.

Thankfully you don't drive so you're only putting yourself at risk by assuming "rights of way" where there are none.

20221115_091123.jpg

Rule 8
At a junction. When you are crossing or waiting to cross the road, other traffic should give way. Look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you, and cross at a place where drivers can see you. If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way (see Rules H2 and 170).

Rule 19
Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Drivers and riders should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross and MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing (see Rule H2). Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

A suggestion to a pedestrian that other traffic should give way to them (to someone waiting to cross) is not the same as telling a pedestrian that other traffic is legally required to give way (while on a zebra crossing).

It's really not rocket science, or brain surgery. They even capitalize "must" in the Highway Code to highlight the difference and make it idiot-proof. 🤷

Thankfully you don't drive so you're only putting yourself at risk by assuming "rights of way" where there are none.
I do drive (I drove someone to hospital and home again just last week), I just don't own a car because it's a huge waste of money, a massive health risk, and quite honestly my ego is perfectly comfortable without one.

I know what 'rights of way' are, and I know as well as a legal term it's a vernacular expression often used as shorthand for "X should/must give way to Y under Z circumstances" ... or, as they say it more clearly in French, "vous n'avez pas la priorité" (and yes, I know french traffic laws are not the same as UK ones)

Last edited:
A suggestion to a pedestrian that other traffic should give way to them (to someone waiting to cross) is not the same as telling a pedestrian that other traffic is legally required to give way (while on a zebra crossing).

It's really not rocket science, or brain surgery. They even capitalize "must" in the Highway Code to highlight the difference and make it idiot-proof. 🤷

🥅

A lot of replies under that twitter thread asking what the context was and what had led up to it and so on.

It implies that there are people out there who can imagine some context where it's justifiable or reasonable to drive your car directly and deliberately into a pedestrian.

Well, the law — nonsensically, to my mind — differentiates the severity of the attack based on the level of harm to the victim. So if you swung a cricket bat at somebody’s head and they luckily moved at the last second, receiving a glancing blow, that would attract a lesser sentence than if they didn’t move at the last second and were seriously injured. Ridiculous, but there it is.

Selfish drivers example #2,674

Ms Goodlet asked councillors: “How did the council officers take into account the negative and distressing impact a large unattractive structure like the cycle hangar would have on the unfortunate residents living in the house where it is to be located, bearing in mind that the resident will have absolutely no control over this immovable structure?”

Why do I keep getting summoned to view another edcraw post, whom I'm ignoring? I know my wisdom is much in demand but I'm gonna put this thread on ignore now, since it's just duplicating the bad driving thread. Maybe that will stop the alerts.

FWIW edcraw even managed to get that last post wrong by stating "This man is going to be allowed to drive again."

He was banned for seven years to run consecutively with his eight year prison sentence, meaning he will have to live to 83 and then pass a test to be allowed to drive again, so there's nothing certain about it.

FWIW edcraw even managed to get that last post wrong by stating "This man is going to be allowed to drive again."

He was banned for seven years to run consecutively with his eight year prison sentence, meaning he will have to live to 83 and then pass a test to be allowed to drive again, so there's nothing certain about it.
Did they take his age into consideration with the sentence or are you just indulging in pointless pedantry & defending the obviously lenient sentence of an absolute evil scumbag?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom