Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Deflate the tires of airliner or private jets, not the tires of common people who may have an emergency need for their cars...

Deflate the tires of airliner or private jets, not the tires of common people who may have an emergency need for their cars...

Buy a smaller or more efficient car and the problems solved.

Statistically speaking the richer you are the likelier you are to own a car. A bigger car at that.

1669758939869.png

Buy a smaller or more efficient car and the problems solved.

Statistically speaking the richer you are the likelier you are to own a car. A bigger car at that.

View attachment 353516
without wishing disagreement with the "boo cars" original purpose of this thread, that graph doesn't talk to car size, just that richer people have more cars.

(full disclosure, we have a car in my family, albeit offset by 5 bikes and 4 pairs of legs)

without wishing disagreement with the "boo cars" original purpose of this thread, that graph doesn't talk to car size, just that richer people have more cars.

(full disclosure, we have a car in my family, albeit offset by 5 bikes and 4 pairs of legs)

It's one of those things that's almost impossible to get full figures on but just extrapolation from the number of cars combined with the vast growth in SUV figures means there's some correlation.

1669793784857.png

Not sure.
It could be all the rich ones have teslas.

Just guessing , but I imagine a graph of total car ownership in U.K. per decade would do the trick. (combine that with miles of available road at the time, and the too many cars argument is resolved)

Last edited:
If suv ownership has trebled, unless we think that the amount of new car purchasing is equal in every decile ( that people in the bottom ten% of income are as likely to purchase new cars as people in the top 10% )

It’s pretty clear that the richer you are the more likely you are to own an SUV.

Ford are stopping Fiesta production, its indirect replacement is the Ford Puma, which is officially classed as a SUV despite being the same size as a VW Golf.

I note from the Yorkshire Evening Post article above that the Tyre Extinguisher wankers deflated the tyres of a Puma, although it is also officially classed as a small car, and has an mpg of 50.

In short neither the Tyre Extinguisher wankers nor most people babbling on this sorry excuse for a thread have a fucking clue. :D

Ford are stopping Fiesta production, its indirect replacement is the Ford Puma, which is officially classed as a SUV despite being the same size as a VW Golf.

I note from the Yorkshire Evening Post article above that the Tyre Extinguisher wankers deflated the tyres of a Puma, although it is also officially classed as a small car, and has an mpg of 50.

In short neither the Tyre Extinguisher wankers nor most people babbling on this sorry excuse for a thread have a fucking clue. :D
I don’t have a problem with the Tyre Extinguishers widening their remit a bit :thumbs:

It’s part of the natural processes of social change that norms become contested as being part of the problem, and as these challenges become more accepted as legitimate, ever more stringent action gets taken in defiance of those norms. Meanwhile, those caught in the crossfire feel hard done by, because all they’re doing is leading a “normal” life. Eventually, the new ideas become recognised as new norms and then it takes even longer for those new norms to become embedded as new practices.

What I’m saying is that complaining about (or lauding) the tyre extinguishers is as fruitless as complaining about (or lauding) people who use their car to drive places. Both are just part of a wider social process of development and change.

It’s part of the natural processes of social change that norms become contested as being part of the problem, and as these challenges become more accepted as legitimate, ever more stringent action gets taken in defiance of those norms. Meanwhile, those caught in the crossfire feel hard done by, because all they’re doing is leading a “normal” life. Eventually, the new ideas become recognised as new norms and then it takes even longer for those new norms to become embedded as new practices.

What I’m saying is that complaining about (or lauding) the tyre extinguishers is as fruitless as complaining about (or lauding) people who use their car to drive places. Both are just part of a wider social process of development and change.

History is littered with once-heralded challenges to social norms that didn’t actually become recognised as new norms at all.

I‘m pretty sure deflating tyres of vehicles categorised as SUVs regardless of their actual impact relative to vehicles not thus categorised will prove to be just such an example.

History is littered with once-heralded challenges to social norms that didn’t actually become recognised as new norms at all.

I‘m pretty sure deflating tyres of vehicles categorised as SUVs regardless of their actual impact relative to vehicles not thus categorised will prove to be just such an example.
Well, if the trend towards ever bigger cars is ever to be reversed, this kind of anger against them will have been part of that reversal. Only time will tell. Either way, I just see things like the letting down of tyres and the aggressive driving towards cyclists as two sides of the same reactionary coin, both part of the war over what is seen as “normal”.

Well, if the trend towards ever bigger cars is ever to be reversed, this kind of anger against them will have been part of that reversal. Only time will tell. Either way, I just see things like the letting down of tyres and the aggressive driving towards cyclists as two sides of the same reactionary coin, both part of the war over what is seen as “normal”.

If you think that "this kind of anger against them will have been part of that reversal" then surely "complaining about (or lauding)" is all part of that process too, rather than being fruitless, so I don't really see what point you're trying to make...

There's an argument that, all other things being equal, bigger cars are worse in some respects.

But the idea that bigger always means worse is ridiculous.

A modern electric SUV pollutes less and is safer for occupants, pedestrians, and other road users than, say, a 20 year old fiesta.

People deflating tyres on cars they don't like isn't really about the environment.

A Ford Puma "SUV" which was targeted by Tyre Extinguishers vs a Mondeo:

Capture.JPG

The emissions profile of the Puma is of course vastly superior.

Wankers.

There's an argument that, all other things being equal, bigger cars are worse in some respects.

But the idea that bigger always means worse is ridiculous.

A modern electric SUV pollutes less and is safer for occupants, pedestrians, and other road users than, say, a 20 year old fiesta.

People deflating tyres on cars they don't like isn't really about the environment.
Correct, it's not just about emissions/pollution.

Big cars symbolise an attitude; one that more and more people are reacting against.

Throwing paint at celebrities wearing fur was quite effective. This is similar.

Correct, it's not just about emissions/pollution.

Big cars symbolise an attitude;

No, we've covered this. Big estate cars are fine (gotta take those fridges to the tip), non-Euro-2-compliant diesel camper vans for jolly jaunts are fine (they symbolise a free-thinking enviro-hippy attitude).

Meanwhile the ordinary person who just drives a modern, efficient, average-sized, ordinary car such as the Ford Puma has a bad attitude, that of a climate-change denying child killer and they need to be scolded.

one that more and more people are reacting against.

More and more twats.

Throwing paint at celebrities wearing fur was quite effective. This is similar.

It would be similar if they had only targeted celebrities wearing a certain kind of fur, with the result that those celebrities were driven to switch to a different type of fur that was produced with a greater level of associated cruelty.

The only black smoke I see coming out of exhausts in town is from double-decker buses. Should I deflate their tyres perhaps? Pretty sure that if everyone on board had a car and drove, it would result in fewer particulates being inhaled. I wouldn't deflate electric buses and I know I'm on the right side of history so that's cool, right?

No, we've covered this. Big estate cars are fine (gotta take those fridges to the tip), non-Euro-2-compliant diesel camper vans for jolly jaunts are fine (they symbolise a free-thinking enviro-hippy attitude).

Meanwhile the ordinary person who just drives a modern, efficient, average-sized, ordinary car such as the Ford Puma has a bad attitude, that of a climate-change denying child killer and they need to be scolded.

More and more twats.

It would be similar if they had only targeted celebrities wearing a certain kind of fur, with the result that those celebrities were driven to switch to a different type of fur that was produced with a greater level of associated cruelty.
Anything higher or wider than a Mondeo is fair game.

Anything higher or wider than a Mondeo is fair game.
That Puma is about half an inch taller than a Mondeo, about a foot shorter, considerably lighter, and minus a fairly large number of CO2g/km.
I don't find myself agreeing with platinumsage often, but the nonsense of applying the label "SUV" to anything that's half an inch higher off the ground than a Nissan Micra is bollocks. The aging public have spoken and they want the comfort and convenience of higher seats. The vast majority of the "SUV"s sold today are a supermini jacked up by an inch. Just as efficient (the height does knock a touch off the MPG, but it's margin of error level and no-one wants to sit on the floor for maximum drag coefficient), pretty much the same size.

The car I have lined up to replace our Note in a few years (CX-30) is larger, about the same height, and get an additional 10% extra mileage on the motorway. How is it bad that it's bigger? It's also one of those "SUV's that are a regular car with an extra inch in height (because we're old now and the Mazda 3 is a bit low-ish).

Back
Top Bottom