Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Yeah I don't think it's a 'fetish', it's to do with more pedestrians not being able to see over / beyond cars, which is a road safety issue. But you know this.

Plus the fetish, if that's a word we're using now, is the car .. the power, the prestige, the sounds and smells, the aggressive frowny headlight arrays, the shiny paint, the groovy geometric wheel trims etc. Phwoar, eh?
Cars are pretty much luxury items depending on marketing to sell them. The most basic transportation for anyone that needs it is a van. But that's clearly nonsense because it's too tall and too wide for our roads.

Edit: I'm not trying to argue in favour of the latest HMS Range Rover or whatever, but you can't complain about the design and marketing of what is, for most people whether they accept it or not, a non-essential item.

So you're happy for them to attempt to incentivize people to switch from Ford Pumas and Toyota Aygo Xs into larger, longer, heavier, more polluting saloon and estate cars which according to their campaign are not SUVs and so much more acceptable to own?
What's leading you to think I'd be happy with that? Let's take it step by step and see if we can reduce your confusion.

Well that's what they're doing, and you're happy with it, so there you go.
It's what you think they are doing, based on some muddled ideas you seem to have. We can't pin down the flaws in your thinking unless you explain your reasoning clearly. We can tell that you haven't thought things through from your U-turn on your initial hasty claim.

It's what you think they are doing, based on some muddled ideas you seem to have. We can't pin down the flaws in your thinking unless you explain your reasoning clearly. We can tell that you haven't thought things through from your U-turn on your initial hasty claim.

Perhaps you could explain what they are doing that involves targeting a Ford Puma, as they seem incapable of it doing themselves.

Perhaps you could explain what they are doing that involves targeting a Ford Puma, as they seem incapable of it doing themselves.
I'm not making any claims about what they are doing or why. On the other hand, you are making an outlandish claim about the consequences of their actions, but dodging my request to explain the reasoning behind that claim. I wonder why that is? Readers can come to their own conclusions.

I'm not making any claims about what they are doing or why. On the other hand, you are making an outlandish claim about the consequences of their actions, but dodging my request to explain the reasoning behind that claim. I wonder why that is? Readers can come to their own conclusions.

So you can't explain what they're doing or why. Neither can you analyse the consequences of their actions. Great. Remember to slash your own tyres the next time you find yourself about to drive a vehicle, I'm sure the deflations will enable a child to see over it who otherwise wouldn't have been able to.

Last edited:
yes. Or just walk.
Oxford is not big. Just because towns have been badly designed around the motorcar doesn't mean there isn't a way out of this mess. It just means you have to use your brains Toby.

Where I live right in the middle of a town centre, only some flats have got dedicated parking spaces, however two minutes walk around the corner there's ample parking in the CPZ which just requires a council permit annually of £30. The fuss people who rent or come to look at buying a flat without dedicated parking make 'I can't possibly have to go around the corner for my car?!'.

(I'm not talking about those with mobility issues either)

The 15 minute city seems like a great idea - everything within walking distance, fewer cars on the roads, stronger communities etc. But, I can't help but feel a bit uneasy about the coercive aspects of it (albeit I don't buy much of the hysterical response, some of which is just straight-up lies). Why bring it about by a de facto restriction on people's freedom of movement? Surely it'd be better to improve public transport and local facilities to the point where people choose not to travel by private car?

Have discovered that I am Part of the Problem, because my car is the same height as a Ford Puma, despite being neither a van nor an SUV. :( I'm surprised no-one has slashed my tyres yet, although they did get the shit punctured out of them while they were throwing up those flats in Hackbridge.

The 15 minute city seems like a great idea - everything within walking distance, fewer cars on the roads, stronger communities etc. But, I can't help but feel a bit uneasy about the coercive aspects of it (albeit I don't buy much of the hysterical response, some of which is just straight-up lies). Why bring it about by a de facto restriction on people's freedom of movement? Surely it'd be better to improve public transport and local facilities to the point where people choose not to travel by private car?
Where have you got the impression that "de facto restrictions on people's freedom of movement" are being imposed?

I imagine what you actually mean is "motorists' freedom of movement" seeing as users of almost all other modes have had their freedom of movement increasingly restricted as the private car has come to dominance.

Where have you got the impression that "de facto restrictions on people's freedom of movement" are being imposed?
From the fact that people (and, yes, motorists are people) will effectively be prevented from making journeys - including route and mode of transport - that they were previously able to make. I understand the intention, but, as noble as the aim might be, the state imposing such measures seems like a the wrong way to go about it.

From the fact that people (and, yes, motorists are people) will effectively be prevented from making journeys - including route and mode of transport - that they were previously able to make. I understand the intention, but, as noble as the aim might be, the state imposing such measures seems like a the wrong way to go about it.
By that kind of logic we should never build any new roads, or railways or schools or hospitals, on land that is currently traversible on foot. And of course we should never implement any public transport that means drivers have to take a different route. We shouldn't convert any roadspace to cycle lanes. No pedestrianisation should ever take place. These would all be coercive measures imposed by the state that restrict people's freedom of movement.

By that kind of logic we should never build any new roads, or railways or schools or hospitals, on land that is currently traversible on foot. And of course we should never implement any public transport that means drivers have to take a different route. We shouldn't convert any roadspace to cycle lanes. No pedestrianisation should ever take place. These would all be coercive measures imposed by the state that restrict people's freedom of movement.
What's being proposed sounds more significant than those measures. As I understand it, it's a pilot, so it'll be interesting to see what effect it has, and whether or not the people of Oxford want it to continue - at the moment it sounds like most aren't keen.

The state currently says where you can drive to, how you get there, where you park your car etc. Towns being built or mangled afterwards purely for motor traffic is a big part of the problem.

What's being proposed sounds more significant than those measures. As I understand it, it's a pilot, so it'll be interesting to see what effect it has, and whether or not the people of Oxford want it to continue - at the moment it sounds like most aren't keen.
I thought you were talking about some hypothetical place but if you're talking about Oxford, do you really view it as a place without viable alternatives to private car travel?

Also, do you have any examples of places where significant modal shift has successfully been achieved without any "coercion"?

The state currently says where you can drive to, how you get there, where you park your car etc. Towns being built or mangled afterwards purely for motor traffic is a big part of the problem.
"Motor traffic" is people going about their lives. They want to be able to do so, and, generally, that's been the public consensus hitherto, because, on balance, people feel it adds to the quality of their lives. It'll be interesting to see if that changes in Oxford as a result of this pilot.

Also, do you have any examples of places where significant modal shift has successfully been achieved without any "coercion"?
No. I don't know if there are any; I've not looked. But, even if they're aren't, it doesn't mean there can't be.

Last edited:
I thought you were talking about some hypothetical place but if you're talking about Oxford, do you really view it as a place without viable alternatives to private car travel?
I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives that suit some people. Others find e.g. public transport unpleasant and inconvenient, or bikes dangerous. I'd rather the alternatives were made better, such that people want to use them, rather than force them to do something they don't want to. That would be a win-win for everybody, no?

Back
Top Bottom