Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Platty Sage has put me on ignore for thinking the climate crisis is real, so suspect this thread will now just become just me posting 3rd rate tweets without his interaction 😀

This is good. I thought Manchester had wanted to do similar but they were needing to have Belisha beacon’s which would have made it very expensive.

I like the general concept, but surely you run into the fact that cars will have to stop on the zebra crossing to assess whether they can merge into traffic? And stopping on zebra crossings is against traffic rules?

Makes me wonder then what status these crossings have. Are they officially zebra crossings, to which the rule kabbes highlighted applies, or are they painted markings intended to improve driver courtesy towards pedestrians? Drivers should of course already give way to crossing pedestrians when they turn from a larger into a smaller road - says so in the Highway Code (or did when I learned to drive anyway!)

Makes me wonder then what status these crossings have. Are they officially zebra crossings, to which the rule kabbes highlighted applies, or are they painted markings intended to improve driver courtesy towards pedestrians? Drivers should of course already give way to crossing pedestrians when they turn from a larger into a smaller road - says so in the Highway Code (or did when I learned to drive anyway!)
Highway code now says they should give way to pedestrians crossing when turning the other way too. Bit of a coin flip if they'll actually stop or not though.

The sensible approach would be to just have them as a visual reminder that drivers should be giving way to pedestrians at junctions like that, with then allowing a car to move forward onto it when/if clear.

I agree that’s the sensible approach. I worry about normalising drivers to the idea that it is okay to stop on zebra crossings, though.

It would be nice to think most drivers have the sense to know the difference between the two.

But… :facepalm:

You don't know the difference, nor does anyone else on this thread.

- “Sorry officer, I thought this was a visually indicative reminder crossing and not an actual legally enforceable crossing, so I stopped on it to get a better view of the junction as that seemed the safest thing to do”

- “Well it’s easy to get confused between the two without committing Schedule I Part II of The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997 as amended to memory, so I won’t give you a ticket this time, just try not to do it again.”

Not that anyone gets stopped by the police and given a ticket for such things anyway. The only time it's likely to come up is in court following a fatality.

I'll be honest and say that, if I'm on a motorbike turning left off a major road there's no way I'm stopping every time some pedestrian is standing near the curb; that's a recipe for being rear-ended by a car.

Having twice been hit by cars in that exact position, both times the cars were emerging from the side road to the main road I’d welcome them.

I’m more of a motorist than a pedestrian or cyclist these days and I think there are more measures needed to slow drivers down, personally I’d replace the 30mph limit with 20mph everywhere

"Standing near the kerb" and "crossing" are two quite different things, both in the Highway Code and in the legislation.

:facepalm:

Highway Code Rule H2 said:
At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.

You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists on a parallel crossing (see Rule 195).

Pedestrians have priority when on a zebra crossing, on a parallel crossing or at light controlled crossings when they have a green signal.

You should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing.

"Waiting to cross"

:facepalm:
"Waiting to cross"

Yes, crossing and waiting to cross are dealt with very differently in those parts of the Highway Code you quoted. If you can’t see that then you may as well facepalm yourself. They’re also dealt with very differently in the legislation, which you didn’t quote.

Yes, crossing and waiting to cross are dealt with very differently in those parts of the Highway Code you quoted. If you can’t see that then you may as well facepalm yourself. They’re also dealt with very differently in the legislation, which you didn’t quote.
Yes, 'should' and 'must'. I addressed it. The fact that pedestrians have right of way whether crossing or 'waiting to cross' though, doesn't change. You know this (you certainly shouldn't be driving if you don't)

Back
Top Bottom