Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Everyone does things that the highway code says not to do. For example you'll have noticed the cyclist close-passes a pedestrian who was standing in the road facing away and who could easily have taken a step backwards. The code states that cyclists should "take care when passing pedestrians and horse riders, especially children, older adults or disabled people. Slow down when necessary and let them know you are there; for example, by ringing your bell"

Capture.JPG

This isn't whatabouttery but highlighting that everyone makes mistakes all the time. The outrage from this Twitter user might be better be channeled into an acceptance of that fact and planning their road use accordingly.

The purpose of the tweet is to generate discussion and consideration of road user behaviour. If you want to highlight something the cyclist has done, fine. That's a further indication that the tweet is generating discussion. Jeremy Vine gets what he set out to achieve. And in the process you further the aims of this thread too.

The purpose of the tweet is to generate discussion and consideration of road user behaviour.

If that were actually the case it would be titled something like "An interesting moment I captured earlier" rather than "WHAT FRESH HELL".

Last edited:
That's not a very nice thing to say. It's an exact equivalent of you using Vine being a tosser as ammunition in an argument about a taxi driver driving like a cunt.

I dont know who that bloke in the picture is.

Vine may or may not be a tosser. Likewise the taxi driver, who knows? Everyone seems keen to reckon everyone else is cunt these days, maybe everyone should cut each other some slack a bit more.

Vine may or may not be a tosser. Likewise the taxi driver, who knows? Everyone seems keen to reckon everyone else is cunt these days, maybe everyone should cut each other some slack a bit more.
But you’ve demonstrated multiple times you are one.

John Worboys

If you don't want abuse, don't make a hobby of defending the indefensible.

OK, I get it. Everyone who makes an error of judgement on the road is a cunt, so basically everyone is a cunt and can fuck off and there’s nothing else to learn about road safety.

OK, I get it. Everyone who makes an error of judgement on the road is a cunt, so basically everyone is a cunt and can fuck off and there’s nothing else to learn about road safety.
You're the one who started the ad hominem. Other people were complaining about the driving.

You're the one who started the ad hominem. Other people were complaining about the driving.

Ad hominem where? I just don’t think this is a big deal. In the real world drivers and cyclists makes these mistakes all the time. As I said it’s the least worst such incident I’ve ever seen. But apparently the taxi driver is a cunt who should be banned etc. Vine is shocked and outraged and curdles a Twitter storm, and is clearly making a mountain out of a molehill.

Ad hominem where? I just don’t think this is a big deal. In the real world drivers and cyclists makes these mistakes all the time. As I said it’s the least worst such incident I’ve ever seen. But apparently the taxi driver is a cunt who should be banned etc. Vine is shocked and outraged and curdles a Twitter storm, and is clearly making a mountain out of a molehill.
What makes you think it was a mistake?

If it was a mistake, it was one triggered by having an utterly reckless attitude towards the lives of others. There are some types of mistake that are unacceptable for a professional to make. There are mistakes I could make at work that could see me in jail, ffs. I wouldn’t be allowed to just say, “everybody makes mistakes lol”. A taxi driver who drives with that approach to risk should not be a taxi driver any more.

The post I replied to. It was terrible driving, you'd lost the argument and you brought Vine's personality into it. Condeming dangerous behaviour in public is healthy and normal. Spending hours on the internet defending every example of poor driving you see is weird and a bit creepy.

I didn’t bring Vine’s personality into it, I brought his actions as evidenced in the video into it, the releasing of the brakes, the horn, the dive to the left, the gesture, the failure to notice the indicator etc.

Like it or not, taxi drivers and other professionals driving in London drive like this, mistakes or otherwise, all the time. This was an incorrect move from the taxi driver but from analysing the details Vine wasn’t at increased risk. As I said it’s the least worst example of such a manoeuvre I can imagine,

Last edited:
Disappointing that no one else can acknowledge this is a particularly mild incident in terms of all the left hook incidents posted online. Everyone on the road has to be a massive outrageous cunt who needs banning for life.

Please refer to the thread title.

Propaganda works with extremes, not least-worst examples and mundanities.

I’m not yet at the point of thinking the taxi driver should be banned from driving. Merely that they shouldn’t be professionally on the road for a large number of hours per day. They don’t meet the standards of a professional, trusted to be responsible on behalf of the public.

Disappointing that no one else can acknowledge this is a particularly mild incident in terms of all the left hook incidents posted online. Everyone on the road has to be a massive outrageous cunt who needs banning for life.

Propaganda works with extremes, not least-worst examples and mundanities.
You’re right it’s at the milder side of these but tbh it’s the mudanity of it & the thought we should just accept this dangerous driving that makes it a perfect example. How are kids meant to cycle anywhere if they’re just meant to put up with that sort of thing?

Fact is we shouldn’t just have to put up with it and we don’t hence all the measures (cycle lanes, LTNs etc) that people campaign for and are being put in despite to protests of cabbie organisations and gammon faced Jeremy Clarkson wannabes.

Last edited:
Find me one example - just one - where a cyclist going through a red light has killed a driver.

Cyclists going through red lights have killed people, not sure it matters whether those people have been drivers or not.

But according to you, everyone who makes some mild mistake the extreme version of which has killed people, is a massive cunt.

I’m certainly in favour of having a red light-breaking cyclist having their licence to carry passengers for money removed from them.

Yeah I'm sure you asked for your HGV license to be revoked that one time you forgot to signal while driving your car.

Back
Top Bottom