Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

You’re seriously suggesting that a driver using an app to highlight speed camera locations won’t make any attempt to keep to the speed limit at those locations?
Where did I suggest that?

And I'm not sure what in-car audio alerts have to do with it. In car audio affects drivers' attention too.

If he's genuinely that surprised and disturbed by a taxi changing direction in London, and he's not just hamming it up for the camera, he should probably get out more.

London’s finest 🥴

Wonder if there are any statistics available anywhere detailing the numbers of cars going for scrap each year before and after vehicle emissions became part of the MOT test.Also of whether these tests are becoming progressively more stringent.Anecdotally I hear of more and more people being told that what they had thought were useful vehicles with years of use left in them are effectively so much scrap iron due to inefficient engines

Even is something is commonplace — arguable especially if it is commonplace — it should be called out if it puts lives at risk. And this kind of cutting up manoeuvre definitely falls into that category.

He's already bizarrely annoyed at the taxi for overtaking him, and then despite the left signal he somehow ends up in the gutter tootling his silly horn. Not the ideal actions of someone experienced with London traffic who has set themselves up as an educator of other road users.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

What kind of psycho do you have to be to overtake a cyclist and then immediately cut them up to turn left?

Yes he's probably a genuine psychopath. Incidents of misjudgement like this are so rare because normal people would never commit such a gross breach of social norms.

Yes he's probably a genuine psychopath. Incidents of misjudgement like this are so rare because normal people would never commit such a gross breach of social norms.
I’m not a cyclist, and I find the deluge of cyclists where I live an enormous annoyance. I still would never intentionally cut one up like this, though. I don’t drive to endanger people. I don’t want to be responsible for serious injury and death. If you drive like that, it is psychotic.

I’m not a cyclist, and I find the deluge of cyclists where I live an enormous annoyance. I still would never intentionally cut one up like this, though. I don’t drive to endanger people. I don’t want to be responsible for serious injury and death. If you drive like that, it is psychotic.

You don't know it was intentional. More likely the driver was like "ooh I better turn here, mirror, will I hit that cyclist I just overtook, no plenty of space, signal".

Obviously people might disagree on the "plenty of space" but in order to have a collision here the cyclist would have to deliberately engineer it.

It's a momentary error of judgement the like of which I'm sure you have never made on the road at all.

You don't know it was intentional. More likely the driver was like "ooh I better turn here, mirror, will I hit that cyclist I just overtook, no plenty of space, signal".

Obviously people might disagree on the "plenty of space" but in order to have a collision here the cyclist would have to deliberately engineer it.

It's a momentary error of judgement the like of which I'm sure you have never made on the road at all.
Honestly, no. I would never make that kind of mistake for many reasons. For a start, if I’m unsure of where I’m going, I will be driving much more cautiously because I know my attention is divided. So I wouldn’t be overtaking like that, not knowing if I was about to turn left. Secondly, I would be very aware of the vulnerable road user on my inside. If I had made the mistake of overtaking them then realising I needed to turn, I would not make that their problem and take the chance with their life that it was probably okay. I would swallow my pride, allow them back past and then turn behind them. To be driving in this way in the first place implies such a callous disregard for others safety that I think they should have their taxi licence revoked.

Honestly, no. I would never make that kind of mistake for many reasons. For a start, if I’m unsure of where I’m going, I will be driving much more cautiously because I know my attention is divided. So I wouldn’t be overtaking like that, not knowing if I was about to turn left. Secondly, I would be very aware of the vulnerable road user on my inside. If I had made the mistake of overtaking them then realising I needed to turn, I would not make that their problem and take the chance with their life that it was probably okay. I would swallow my pride, allow them back past and then turn behind them. To be driving in this way in the first place implies such a callous disregard for others safety that I think they should have their taxi licence revoked.

Sure, but you're not a London taxi driver so your errors of judgement are probably quite different but no less serious. Obviously you don't think they are so serious because everyone knows they are a better-than-average driver.

I've watched it again and I just don't see it as being as risky as you think. The cyclist would have had to accelerate to move inside the van and risk a collision, and if the cyclist was reckless enough to do that, the driver could easily have seen them doing so and stopped turning. This is literally the least-worst left-turn cut-up video of a cyclist I've ever seen.

At the very least, the taxi driver was making a big assumption that his entryway to that left turn would be clean and clear. There’s no way he could have been completely sure of that — there are too many lines of sight to maintain attention to and the speed is too great. If he’d had to brake suddenly — for example if there had been a pedestrian blocking his path — the cyclist would have been straight into him.

He's already bizarrely annoyed at the taxi for overtaking him, and then despite the left signal he somehow ends up in the gutter tootling his silly horn. Not the ideal actions of someone experienced with London traffic who has set themselves up as an educator of other road users.

View attachment 346832View attachment 346833View attachment 346834
It’s a fish eye lens you bell end - even if the cabbie wasn’t turning left it was a pointless overtake as he slowed down straightaway hence the initial frustration.

The fact you excuse dangerous driving for absolutely no benefit shows what an idiot you are. Are there any threads on here where you actually ever make anything close to a valid point?

Last edited:

No problem

It’s a fish eye lens you bell end - even if the cabbie wasn’t turning left it was a pointless overtake as he slowed down straightaway hence the initial frustration.

If you watch carefully, you will see the cyclist braked briefly initially, but then came off the brakes before braking again later. This is perhaps why it was a lot less dramatic an incident than you seem to think.

The fact you excuse this shows what an idiot you are. Are there any threads on here where you actually ever make anything close to a valid point?

I only ever make valid points. 🤷

At the very least, the taxi driver was making a big assumption that his entryway to that left turn would be clean and clear. There’s no way he could have been completely sure of that — there are too many lines of sight to maintain attention to and the speed is too great. If he’d had to brake suddenly — for example if there had been a pedestrian blocking his path — the cyclist would have been straight into him.

The cyclist had plenty of time to stop and wouldn't have been "straight into him" unless cycling recklessly.

The cyclist had plenty of time to stop and wouldn't have been "straight into him" unless cycling recklessly.
That’s clearly nonsense. The cyclist is travelling along a main thoroughfare — I don’t know at what speed, but 20mph seems a reasonable guess. If somebody turns across you and brakes suddenly, you need time to react and then there is stopping distance having braked. The gap that the driver leaves is nowhere near enough for that. It was reckless driving. What’s worse, it is clearly something that the taxi driver does routinely, as there is no hesitation about overtaking that cyclist and then cutting him up. It should be a priori justification for removing his taxi licence.

That’s clearly nonsense. The cyclist is travelling along a main thoroughfare — I don’t know at what speed, but 20mph seems a reasonable guess. If somebody turns across you and brakes suddenly, you need time to react and then there is stopping distance having braked. The gap that the driver leaves is nowhere near enough for that. It was reckless driving. What’s worse, it is clearly something that the taxi driver does routinely, as there is no hesitation about overtaking that cyclist and then cutting him up. It should be a priori justification for removing his taxi licence.

You might not think the gap was enough but by analysing the cyclists speed and braking compared to the position that the taxi would have been in if it had stopped blocking the way ahead, it's clear that the cyclist could have stopped in time.

I'm not claiming that the taxi's move was ideal, but it was within the typical range of non-serious errors of judgement that everyone using the roads makes every so often.

You always have to drive assuming you don’t have perfect judgement. You should always leave margin for error. You can’t assume you have perfect knowledge. If you think that manoeuvre was a mistake, but you forgive the mistake, that’s one thing. I disagree that it is forgivable, but so be it. If you were to think it wasn’t a mistake at all, however, I think that would also make you a person that shouldn’t be driving.

If I was cycling and encountered that, I'd be like "whoopsie never mind". I certainly wouldn't think it worth tootling my tootle horn and posting it on Twitter. I'm also not quite sure why the cyclist dived for the kerb instead of going around the right of the taxi as soon as it started slowing and signalling. I've got a feeling he thought it was a juicy incident in the making and so made a bit of a mouthful of it.

If I was cycling and encountered that, I'd be like "whoopsie never mind". I certainly wouldn't think it worth tootling my tootle horn and posting it on Twitter. I'm also not quite sure why the cyclist dived for the kerb instead of going around the right of the taxi as soon as it started slowing and signalling. I've got a feeling he thought it was a juicy incident in the making and so made a bit of a mouthful of it.
He highlighted some bad driving that did not have any serious consequences for him but which could have done in slightly different circumstances. The thing the taxi did (combining an overtake and a left turn) is specifically mentioned in the highway code as something you should not do. Jeremy Vine used his visibility to let a large number of people look at the video and discuss it.

He has got what he wanted out of the "juicy incident". You have responded to it with statements that others can then pick apart and criticise. He wins. It works the same way this thread does.

Back
Top Bottom