Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

I'm pretty sure you neither drive nor cycle, and least I hope you don't do either. Maybe stick to topics on which you have some awareness, and try not to walk out on the streets without a safety chaperone to help you.
How can you signal more? You mean length of time? Both cases you need to signal well in advance of the junction.

I never emerge from a junction just because I see somebody signalling to turn, I tell you that for nothing.

The point is that somebody planning to turn left should signal left, and not try to double-guess what a third-party emerging from another side road might assume. I am amazed that this needs saying.

In the example I gave the car is going straight ahead, past those waiting on the left. Signalling left would signal an intention to turn left before passing them.

If you signal left all the way through that junction, you’re relying on those people not misinterpreting your signal. That is foolhardy and contrary to the Highway Code.

In the example I gave the car is going straight ahead, past those waiting on the left. Signalling left would signal an intention to turn left before passing them.

If you signal left all the way through that junction, you’re relying on those people not misinterpreting your signal. That is foolhardy and contrary to the Highway Code.
What are you talking about? You said that the car was going to take the left fork. It’s turning left. Are you suggesting that taking the left fork is not turning left?

What are you talking about? You said that the car was going to take the left fork. It’s turning left. Are you suggesting that taking the left fork is not turning left?

Sure it has taken that left fork, but then is going straight ahead. Going straight ahead past a left turn while signalling left is not a good idea.

Sure it has taken that left fork, but then is going straight ahead. Going straight ahead past a left turn while signalling left is not a good idea.
Ok, so stop the signal the moment you turn if that’s what is bothering you. What’s that got to do with the assumptions being made by a car coming out of a side road?

Ok, so stop the signal the moment you turn if that’s what is bothering you. What’s that got to do with the assumptions being made by a car coming out of a side road?

You said lots of things about what a car coming out of a side road shouldn’t assume, but people do assume, so you need to take that into account.

There’s no meaningful time in this example to signal while taking the left fork and then cancel the signal before passing the left turn. One option would be to signal left for the fork well in advance but then cancel it in while you’re slowing to take the fork, so it is unambiguously cancelled by the time you pass the left turn.

Whatever you do it definitely warrants thinking time, and not just an automatic signal throughout that entire length of road. Advanced driving courses teach people to identify who would benefit from a signal and why they would do so before flicking that indicator stalk.

One option would be to signal left for the fork well in advance but then cancel it in while you’re slowing to take the fork, so it is unambiguously cancelled by the time you pass the left turn.
The solution in this scenario where you absolutely cannot signal left is to signal left.

Perhaps the anti-car propagandists might consider employing the services of a motorist if they are to be successful, as this thread at the moment is simply serving to highlight the utter lack of understanding of anything to do with cars. It’s a bit like having Jeremy Vine campaign for full communism.

I’ll happily propagandise for the banning of private cars in exchange for a new Volvo. Maybe I should start a gofundme and you can all chip in.

There's no benefit to not signalling, or waiting to signal in that example. It's nuts. A good driver would slow down and stop signalling as soon as they're over the white line but you wouldn't not signal.

When I did driving lessons my teacher told me I would be marked down for signalling when there were no road users around and I shouldn't signal for pedestrians. He was a shit teacher though.

Perhaps the anti-car propagandists might consider employing the services of a motorist if they are to be successful, as this thread at the moment is simply serving to highlight the utter lack of understanding of anything to do with cars. It’s a bit like having Jeremy Vine campaign for full communism.

I’ll happily propagandise for the banning of private cars in exchange for a new Volvo. Maybe I should start a gofundme and you can all chip in.
I think you’ll find we’re probably all drivers actually. And it seems one’s with a hell of a lot more understanding of safe driving than someone that thinks signalling left when turning left might be confusing 🤪

I think most people on here live in cities which they rarely leave, especially London. This means enjoying public transport and where car ownership means a 2005 Toyota that you use for quarterly trips to dispose of appliance packaging at the dump and to take your kids on holiday to Surrey once a year. This is why beesonthatwhatever isn't familiar with the Highway Code, teuchter doesn't know how a zebra crossing works, maomao wants to kill and ban everyone forever and edcraw can only resort to reposting third-rate twitter footage.

I think most people on here live in cities which they rarely leave, especially London.
I work outside London in a place with an unreliable train and a bus that takes an hour (plus a twenty minute walk) and it's fine. I don't have to get stressed driving anyway.

Obviously, because people change their mind, they make mistakes with their satnav etc. Bringing this up as a point is nuts. No idea.

It was literally the opposite position I brought up as a point - giving a signal without thinking that someone might foolishly use it to emerge from a junction into your path. So glad to see you agree this is worth thinking about.

On my way home this evening I saw tons of thoughtful motorists who didn’t signal while making turns in case these might be misunderstood. Very kind of them!

I work outside London in a place with an unreliable train and a bus that takes an hour (plus a twenty minute walk) and it's fine. I don't have to get stressed driving anyway.

As my gran used to say, good for you dear.

As a general point because I know nothing your personal life, I get through each week without drinking alcohol. It doesn’t mean I want it banned for everyone else due to the harm it causes - I recognise that other people see value in it that I don’t.

Pop quiz - you’re driving in the left lane here and taking the road to the left. Do you:

a) signal left
b) not signal
c) signal right
d) stop and consult an online forum

A1AB8384-A178-47E1-9D9B-9930F92E3E64.jpeg

Pop quiz - you’re driving in the left lane here and taking the road to the left. Do you:

a) signal left
b) not signal
c) signal right
d) stop and consult an online forum

View attachment 347001

Probably signal left although I can’t see all the road markings when zooming into your crappy picture. There doesn’t seem to be multiple left turnings which might cause confusion.

Probably signal left although I can’t see all the road markings when zooming into your crappy picture. There doesn’t seem to be multiple left turnings which might cause confusion.
Correct! Because you’re turning left! There’s a clear left turn arrow on the markings even from Google’s crappy picture.

Please can you tell literally every other driver!

It was literally the opposite position I brought up as a point - giving a signal without thinking that someone might foolishly use it to emerge from a junction into your path. So glad to see you agree this is worth thinking about.
It’s not. There is no situation where you don’t signal there, someone else could be behind you. You’re a dangerous driver if you behave like this.

Back
Top Bottom