Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Dominic Cummins is very much the standard bearer for the car mob. There's a system set up for collective benefit and he doesn't see why he should sacrifice any of his own immediate convenience when he can simply bypass it using resources that many simply don't have. Of course what is his tool for achieving this? His privately owned car. Even if he were to stick to all the rules, he could use his car to go hundreds of miles on day trips while others are limited by the distance they can walk from their door. Because the rules are most likely written by people who've never had to be totally reliant on public transport.

That fucker Cummings breathes oxygen, you breathe oxygen, so you are just as bad as him.

Oh noes! A traffic jam! If that isn’t final proof of the undeniable need to ban private car ownership, I don’t know what is.

Oh noes! A traffic jam! If that isn’t final proof of the undeniable need to ban private car ownership, I don’t know what is.
It kind of is.

Some of the scenes at the weekend demonstrated the problems with everyone having an individual mode of transport and the 'freedom' to drive it anywhere. Everyone makes an individual decision to do something, and there's not enough space for everyone to do it, whether that's on the motorway there, or at the final destination, where the solution to a lack of parking space is to park all over verges and so on.

You might say the solution is just to build increasingly large car parks at any popular destination, which is largely what happens, and I think it's a rubbish solution. Look at the amount of parking (it's only half full in the image, it extends right up into the field at the left) in Lulworth compared to the size of the village.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.04.27.jpg

While I was out at the weekend I saw another example of the kind of selfishness that car use breeds - more pavement parking. In this case they've completely blocked the use of the pavement - never mind wheelchairs or pushchairs, everyone has to walk on the roadway. There was a whole row of cars parked like this. In this instance I was pleased to see, when I continued past them, that every single one had a penalty notice stuck to the windscreen. Brightened my day.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.09.36.jpg

Last edited:
It kind of is.

Some of the scenes at the weekend demonstrated the problems with everyone having an individual mode of transport and the 'freedom' to drive it anywhere. Everyone makes an individual decision to do something, and there's not enough space for everyone to do it, whether that's on the motorway there, or at the final destination, where the solution to a lack of parking space is to park all over verges and so on.

You might say the solution is just to build increasingly large car parks at any popular destination, which is largely what happens, and I think it's a rubbish situation. Look at the amount of parking (it's only half full in the image, it extends right up into the field at the left) in Lulworth compared to the size of the village.

View attachment 215652

While I was out at the weekend I saw another example of the kind of selfishness that car use breeds - more pavement parking. In this case they've completely blocked the use of the pavement - never mind wheelchairs or pushchairs, everyone has to walk on the roadway. There was a whole row of cars parked like this. In this instance I was pleased to see, when I continued past them, that every single one had a penalty notice stuck to the windscreen. Brightened my day.

View attachment 215653
Where was this?

Yeah, the peaks have been rammed of late too... This weekend was particularly bad.

Driver cuntishness has also increased exponentially.

e2a: I get the impression that most driving in late lockdown were still just locals out to do er... whatever they need to do. Locals in the peak district can, of course, drive like cunts (full of Range Rovers), but it generally felt ok on the bike. I think also any locals out, or Sheffield types on a cheeky jaunt, were being pretty cautious out of a kind of vague respect for the general situation. Weekend though; multiple dangerous overtakes, parking extending out the villages, the odd terrific cunt leaning out the window and jeering at all and sundry, lots of revving (in 40mph zones, just outside Sheffield). As I've said upthread I'm not as militant on the idea of private transport as teuchter, but there is no fucking need at all for this sort of shit, nor is it remotely related to the independence this kind of transport can bring.

Last edited:
Inconsiderate (not to mention reckless) road users of any kind are quite odious, but apart from the fact that the majority of car drivers don’t behave like that anymore than the majority of cyclists, pedestrians or motorcyclists repeat the dastardly deeds of the antisocial minority, it would be ludicrous to suggest that car ownership is the cause of such behaviour, and banning them would get rid of such antisocial behaviour.

And whereas I don’t have a crystal ball at hand, I’m pretty sure I’m right in predicting if private car ownership was banned, whether in cities only or nationwide, at least 60-70% of existing private car usage would simply be filled by car clubs and hire cars. So you’re still going to get the same instances of packed roads and inconsiderate parkers sometimes around beauty spots of a sunny weekend.

I still don’t see any solid reasoning that a ban on private cars would any of the problems those calling for a ban have stated in this thread. A slight alleviation of some of the issues, at best. The only way to really eradicate all those thorny issues would be complete ban on all motor vehicles other than the emergency services’. Anyone calling of a ban on privately owned cars needs to decide if such a move might be a step too far or not. Or come out and openly state they would like all motor vehicles to be banned.

It kind of is.

You might say the solution is just to build increasingly large car parks at any popular destination, which is largely what happens, and I think it's a rubbish solution. Look at the amount of parking (it's only half full in the image, it extends right up into the field at the left) in Lulworth compared to the size of the village.

View attachment 215652
The M3 was blocked because of an accident, so not really a capacity issue.

As for Lulworth, what do you propose instead? That people stop going?

Inconsiderate (not to mention reckless) road users of any kind are quite odious, but apart from the fact that the majority of car drivers don’t behave like that anymore than the majority of cyclists, pedestrians or motorcyclists repeat the dastardly deeds of the antisocial minority, it would be ludicrous to suggest that car ownership is the cause of such behaviour, and banning them would get rid of such antisocial behaviour.

It's the guns argument again.

Guns don't kill people, people do. Cars don't park themselves on pavements, people do.

Even Los Angeles - premier car-dependency hell-hole - has realised it needs to get with the programme and start sorting out its public transport.

The plan also notes the potential to deliver significant mobility benefits to the region through the major capital projects, programs, and bold policies. After implementation, those benefits include 21% of county residents and 36% of jobs will be a 10-minute walk of high-quality rail or bus rapid transit options, up from only 8% of residents and 16% of jobs currently. If implemented, the plan will result in an 81% increase in daily transit trips, a 31% decrease in traffic delay and a 19% decrease in greenhouse gas emissions.

Walking cunt: 80kg at 3mph 108N
Running cunt: 80kg at 8mph 286N
Cycling cunt: 95kg at 15mph 1250N
Very fast cycling cunt: 95kg at 30mph 2500N
Couple of Cunts in an A4: 1700kg at 40mph 28000N
And, just for the hell of it, 4 cunts in a range rover who didn't see you: 2500kg at 70mph 78000N
I didn't bother with the cunt on a Ducati

I'm willing to allow that people will be cunts regardless. It's what they're throwing at you/an errant child/sheep that worries me. And also the walking cunt is fuelled by one pub lunch, the runner by oatmeal and nut butter chased down with a soy latte, the cyclist by some combination of SiS energy products and the Range Rover by <x> litres of highly polluting hydrocarbons.

And whereas I don’t have a crystal ball at hand, I’m pretty sure I’m right in predicting if private car ownership was banned, whether in cities only or nationwide, at least 60-70% of existing private car usage would simply be filled by car clubs and hire cars. So you’re still going to get the same instances of packed roads and inconsiderate parkers sometimes around beauty spots of a sunny weekend.

That is entirely true, at least at the moment, and given the government's lacklustre approach to... er... everything. But that's not really the point. You can use other methods; improve cycle access, get rid of VAT on bikes and electric bikes, restrict car licenses, restrict car speeds. Do that and smaller electric private vehicles could potentially be safe as well.

I still don’t see any solid reasoning that a ban on private cars would any of the problems those calling for a ban have stated in this thread. A slight alleviation of some of the issues, at best. The only way to really eradicate all those thorny issues would be complete ban on all motor vehicles other than the emergency services’. Anyone calling of a ban on privately owned cars needs to decide if such a move might be a step too far or not. Or come out and openly state they would like all motor vehicles to be banned.

Banning private cars in and of itself is not an end goal (except maybe for teuchter). The end goal is to get people from A to B in a manner that a) reduces environmental damage and b) makes the roads safe enough that virtually all road deaths and serious injuries are eliminated. There are ways to do this. You don't have to jump in all at once, it's not an either/or thing. Take one medium city that already uses park and ride, ban cars except for a limited fleet of electric hire vehicles. Expand that to larger cities... Improve public transport systems. As the technology improves, implement self-drive systems outside cities... Design motors to deal with different zoning situations. Design systems that can quickly manage the transitions between intercity/rural/urban environments. Short-medium term expensive, but you can design systems to minimise long-term maintenance costs. And accidents cost vast amounts of money, both in direct terms (prevention, emergency response etc) and in terms of cost to the economy (and obviously the thousands of people dealing with death or life-changing injury).

The only technology that isn't there yet is self-drive. It doesn't seem to be far off though... and so much of this can be implemented without relying on that. It needs to be. It's not optional if we want to have any chance at preserving our environment.

It's the guns argument again.

Guns don't kill people, people do. Cars don't park themselves on pavements, people do.
YOu can use that argument on everything else. Some cyclists choose to ride on the payement or jump traffic lights recklessly, some of which sometimes ending up killing or severely injuring pedestrians. But bicycles don't kill and main pedestrians- cyclists do.

But in any case, none of the above has any bearing whatosover on the argument about car ownership. If you are hoping for all motor vehicles to be banned from the roads, including car club vehicles, hire cars, etc, why don't go out and say it? Because at the end of the day, private car ownership has sweet fa to do witth it.

YOu can use that argument on everything else. Some cyclists choose to ride on the payement or jump traffic lights recklessly, some of which sometimes ending up killing or severely injuring pedestrians. But bicycles don't kill and main pedestrians- cyclists do.

Except of course that cyclists generally don't kill people. Or as best I can tell they kill up to about 2.5 people per year... The last mention I see of it was that cunt on a brakeless fixie a few years ago.

Except of course that cyclists generally don't kill people. Or as best I can tell they kill up to about 2.5 people per year... The last mention I see of it was that cunt on a brakeless fixie a few years ago.
Well, if the aim is to reduce all road casualties to zero, then all road users and types of transportation must be subject to the same scrutiny, restricitons and regulations.

At the end of the day Cid, my post was in replyto cheap and rather preposterous shot comparing cars to gun ownership.

No. Cid has already explained above.

You are arguing the equivalent of: if we have to ban guns then we are going to have to ban baseball bats.

You can kill someone with a gun, and you can kill someone with a baseball bat. However, you can kill someone with a gun even if you don't set out to do so, by setting it off accidentally or not knowing how to control it. You can kill someone with a gun with ease and relatively little risk to yourself. The same is not true of baseball bats.

It's the same comparing a car and a bicycle. Yes you can kill someone with a bicycle. But it's fairly difficult to do it by accident, and almost impossible to do without significant injury to yourself.

And yeah, there should be rules for cyclists to obey. But they should be proportionate to the risk they represent. Cyclists should not be tearing around on pavements any more than cars should be tearing around on residential streets. All this tiresome stuff about "everyone being subject to the same scrutiny, restrictions and regulations" - no one promoting increased restrictions on motor vehicles is trying to say that other road users shouldn't be subject to any restrictions whatsoever - they should be subject to proportionate ones.

Just like the guy who pulls out a gun on the street should be treated differently to the guy who pulls out a baseball bat. We can agree that neither should be allowed to use their weapon to threaten people. But we can probably agree that it's ok for someone on the street to be carrying a baseball bat to their baseball practice, but pretty much never ok for anyone to be carrying a gun.

But in any case, none of the above has any bearing whatosover on the argument about car ownership. If you are hoping for all motor vehicles to be banned from the roads, including car club vehicles, hire cars, etc, why don't go out and say it? Because at the end of the day, private car ownership has sweet fa to do witth it.
No, it's not practical to ban all motor vehicles from the road, and that's not what I'm aiming for.

I would like reduce road casualties to as close to zero as possible. It is perfectly possible to do that without banning all motor vehicles from the road.

Does private car ownership have anything to do with the number of casualties? Yes I think it does, because it increases the number of vehicles on the road at any time. But road safety is not the only reason I want to reduce private car ownership.

And also

it would be ludicrous to suggest that car ownership is the cause of such behaviour,

I dunno about car ownership in itself, but there's no doubt that being a car driver changes people's behaviour, and encourages antisocial behaviour. You cannot deny that being in charge of a vehicle which isolates you from the external environment, largely protects you from any impact and which allows you to exit a scene rapidly has an effect on how you behave. Furthermore, habitual car use increasingly distances you socially from those who don't have car because you end up living in a different world, and one where you don't have to suffer the same negative effects as they do (pavement parking is quite a good example of this).

I hope you realise that even using your own pulled-out-of-thin-air numbers, you are arguing that a 30-40% decrease in the number of cars on the road would have no effect on congestion.

I dunno about car ownership in itself, but there's no doubt that being a car driver changes people's behaviour, and encourages antisocial behaviour. You cannot deny that being in charge of a vehicle which isolates you from the external environment, largely protects you from any impact and which allows you to exit a scene rapidly has an effect on how you behave. Furthermore, habitual car use increasingly distances you socially from those who don't have car because you end up living in a different world, and one where you don't have to suffer the same negative effects as they do (pavement parking is quite a good example of this).
That is a simplistic, easy to make and biased generalisation as those who claim most cyclists are complete antisocial dickheads given the behaviour many of them indulge in. One could make similar accusations of antisocial behaviour or living in a different world to other road users (in this case pedestrians), as bucketload after bucketload of cyclists jump pedestrian traffic lights, don't stop at zebra crossings when pedestrians are using them, ride on the pavements, and so on.

We can all play that game. Although I prefer not to, because such generalisations are bullshit. For all road users.

I hope you realise that even using your own pulled-out-of-thin-air numbers, you are arguing that a 30-40% decrease in the number of cars on the road would have no effect on congestion.
It would, but at the cost of implementing an extraordinarily draconian new rule. But hey, why stop there? Full ban on all motor vehicles= 100% reduction in congestion.

Or we could aim to drive down consgestion and car use by methods other than those that would make most fascist dictators blush.

That is a simplistic, easy to make and biased generalisation as those who claim most cyclists are complete antisocial dickheads given the behaviour many of them indulge in. One could make similar accusations of antisocial behaviour or living in a different world to other road users (in this case pedestrians), as bucketload after bucketload of cyclists jump pedestrian traffic lights, don't stop at zebra crossings when pedestrians are using them, ride on the pavements, and so on.

We can all play that game. Although I prefer not to, because such generalisations are bullshit. For all road users.

It's not a generalisation. You haven't read what I wrote. I'm not saying "most drivers are complete antisocial dickheads". I am saying that the act of driving inevitably affects people's behaviour, and generally negatively. I include myself in this. When I drive I feel the same temptation to speed, the impatience with slow moving vehicles or wandering pedestrians, the desire to park where is convenient for me at that moment,

The same applies to cycling, yes. It affects your behaviour. The consequences are, however, less severe. That doesn't excuse bad behaviour on bikes. Encouraging people to cycle removes cars from the road and reduces pressure on public transport, and is good for people's health. These positives outweigh the negatives, which include things like cyclists occasionally acting aggressively towards pedestrians, but don't include a high likelihood of people getting seriously injured.

It would, but at the cost of implementing an extraordinarily draconian new rule. But hey, why stop there? Full ban on all motor vehicles= 100% reduction in congestion.

Or we could aim to drive down consgestion and car use by methods other than those that would make most fascist dictators blush.

What are these ulra-fascist methods exactly, that exist in your imagination?

When I drive I feel the same temptation to speed, the impatience with slow moving vehicles or wandering pedestrians, the desire to park where is convenient for me at that moment,
Then you really should remove yourself from the road, as you're a danger to others. And maybe seek some CBT.

Back
Top Bottom