Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

It's time for a rewatch of this all time great video

The comments are as full as you'd expect of people claiming that we should design roads around the needs of incompetent drivers. In fact most of our urban roads are designed around the needs of incompetent drivers, with the result that it's not usually drivers who get hurt when they mess up.

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 19.14.15.jpg

The comments are as full as you'd expect of people claiming that we should design roads around the needs of incompetent drivers. In fact most of our urban roads are designed around the needs of incompetent drivers, with the result that it's not usually drivers who get hurt when they mess up.
View attachment 335556
It's clear that a huge number of drivers aren't skilled enough to give the legally required distance to cyclists when overtaking. If this law was rigorously enforced, and if the speed limits were also rigorously enforced, this country would be transformed. It could become a cycling paradise, like Norway and all those other sophisticated countries on the Continent

Last edited:

508 drivers died in 2019, but only 470 pedestrians.

It's clear that a huge number of drivers aren't skilled enough to give the legally required distance to cyclists when overtaking. If this law was rigorously enforced, and if the speed limits were also rigorously enforced, this country would be transformed. It could become a cycling paradise, like Norway and all those other sophisticated countries on the Continent

Norwegians are commencing a cyclist killing spree:

“The long-term trend shows that traffic in Norway has become safer for all road user groups. Car passenger occupants and pedestrians saw reductions of more than 72% each between 2000 and 2019. The user group that has benefited least are cyclists, who saw a 53% reduction in fatalities since 2000. More recently, starting in 2010, the number of fatalities decreased for all users, save for cyclists who saw a slight increase.”

Norwegians are commencing a cyclist killing spree:

“The long-term trend shows that traffic in Norway has become safer for all road user groups. Car passenger occupants and pedestrians saw reductions of more than 72% each between 2000 and 2019. The user group that has benefited least are cyclists, who saw a 53% reduction in fatalities since 2000. More recently, starting in 2010, the number of fatalities decreased for all users, save for cyclists who saw a slight increase.”
It might be interesting if you could drop the trolling and do a like for like comparison with Norway, taking account of rates of cycling there, traffic offences, car buying, the effects of Arctic winter, the huge investment programme in cycling infrastructure etc etc

It might be interesting if you could drop the trolling and do a like for like comparison with Norway, taking account of rates of cycling there, traffic offences, car buying, the effects of Arctic winter, the huge investment programme in cycling infrastructure etc etc

I’ve already done some rough calculations on that but fear many here wouldn’t like the results.

Anyway weren’t you recently taking pride in a plan to chug around Europe in a non-Euro 4 compliant desiel camper van?
Actually it's a petrol one, compliant with the current Euro standard, converted to LPG, running on BioLPG when possible. And I'm exchanging it for a bricks and mortar dwelling. I hope the net effect on my carboon footprint will be pretty good.

Actually it's a petrol one, compliant with the current Euro standard, converted to LPG, running on BioLPG when possible. And I'm exchanging it for a bricks and mortar dwelling. I hope the net effect on my carboon footprint will be pretty good.

That would probably be debatable, unless your new dwelling will have a wood-burning stove.

In case any of the thread dinosaurs want to go and set up a protest outside

The world is changing its perspective on what is an appropriate speed for motor vehicles wherever they share public spaces with people. 30km/h or 20mph is becoming the new global norm for urban and village streets shared between motors and people.

Gone are the days of designing our streets around cars and instead there is a recognition that a healthy city, town or village needs a far better balance in risk and convenience between the people inside and those outside motor vehicles. With most of the larger urban authorities having already set a 20mph limit as a norm it is increasingly the clear that what is good for residents in cities is also good for residents in towns and villages. Already thousands of parish councils have called on their county council to set a 20mph limit as a norm. Some counties have already done so.

Obviously very important people in their stupidly large cars.

Seems like the driver got out of the way safely in time so that the children could navigate the junction in peace without their moronic father screaming blue murder about another road user.

Yeah - you’re a tw*t.

I've already concluded that you have neither passed a driving test nor a cycling proficiency course, and are consequently clueless about both. I just hope you can manage to pedestrianate yourself about the place without coming a cropper on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom