Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

It turns out Barack Obama also reads this thread.

the former US president linked car-dependent development to the climate crisis.

"Sprawl in America is not good for our climate," he said. "And so we have to think about creating livable density that allows us to take mass transit and take bicycles."

Are drivers only awful if they are responsible for a fatal crash? That seems an unreasonably high bar. Almost every motorist will be in at least one (and usually several) accident at some point in their lives.
Well, semantics will be semantics, but I reckon if most carpenters were generally considered to be awful at their jobs, most of them would be missing half their fingers, and most timber objects would be wonky and collapse within months of being built. If most pilots were awful, there would major air crashes on a daily basis. If most dry cleaners were actually awful, it would probably mean that eight of out of ten times you took a garment to be dry cleaned, it would come back full of holes.

A lot of drivers can be inconsiderate arseholes ( and edcraw , believe it or not I I used to commute on a bicycle on and off for years, so I have no trouble believing of regular, even daily encounters with aggressive dickhead drivers).

But it’s precisely because of the distressing, reckless and potentially lethal nature of such car driver-perpetrated incidents that you arrive home or at work (justifiably) cursing the small minority of drivers who put you in a perilous situation almost every day, and automatically forget the many, many more who overtook or crossed paths on the same commute in a safe manner.

Anyway, I shall say no more about this particular semantics sub-debate as I’m sure we’re all tired if it.

Well, semantics will be semantics, but I reckon if most carpenters were generally considered to be awful at their jobs, most of them would be missing half their fingers, and most timber objects would be wonky and collapse within months of being built. If most pilots were awful, there would major air crashes on a daily basis. If most dry cleaners were actually awful, it would probably mean that eight of out of ten times you took a garment to be dry cleaned, it would come back full of holes.
Pretty sure the majority of people are awful carpenters, pilots & dry cleaners.

Guess we’re okay to say the majority of people are awful drivers then.

I can tell most drivers are awful as hardly any of them either don’t know or don’t care what they’re meant to do at this.

4879C3F3-DEB0-409F-A242-7F8CB1C77663.jpeg

It’s Oxford. The vast majority of people against the LTNs will already have done their bit by lobbying their LibDem councillor at a garden party.

From another thread, this typifies what happens in your brain when you become a driver and blank out the externalised costs of your actions.

Costco is pre-pay at the pump (there is no kiosk) and at £1.81 for a litre of diesel it's actually worth the 20-mile round trip rather than go the 2 mile round trip to the local BP at £1.99 per litre.

From another thread, this typifies what happens in your brain when you become a driver and blank out the externalised costs of your actions.

Did you weigh up the deaths from respiratory disease caused by coal-fired power plants when considering making use of the internet to post this?

The great thing about this is not only am I saving money but I'm getting you to pay for it as well. Deffo a win-win situation. Flattered by the attention by the way.

Temporary carpet that’ll be used at lots of events you joyless tw*t.

Looks like it’s part of a trial LTN that can happen now your beloved Tories have been voted out of Westminster.

Not sure how disliking artificial grass makes someone joyless.

Anyhow I’m glad the council appear to have read my posts on this thread recently, where I highlighted the successful pedestrianisation of Leicester Square etc, and suggested that London ought to catch up with other cities with respect to the proportion of central streets that are pedestrianised.

the council appear to have read my posts on this thread recently, where I highlighted the successful pedestrianisation of Leicester Square etc, and suggested that London ought to catch up with other cities with respect to the proportion of central streets that are pedestrianised.

It's great and more evidence of this thread being ultra successful.

It's great and more evidence of this thread being ultra successful.

Then you can take comfort from the fact that all my other posts will now be examined by the authorities for further wisdom. I look forward to more restrictions on buses and a scheme to supply SUVs to rural pensioners.

Back
Top Bottom