Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

It'd be a good idea to force drivers to use this sort of thing instead of cars. It'd give the rest of us something to point and laugh at.

man sat on a trolley being pulled by a mini steam engine

The Highway Code "rules" aren't enforceable, so should really only reflect a sort of consensus that is already in place. That's why the pedestrians at side road change has caused confusion - it's a drastic change from the status quo and therefore something that should have been implemented by actual legislation.
Kind of. But Section 3 RTA1988 Careless and Inconsiderate doesn't define carless or inconsiderate. The HoC can be used to inform courts decision making on the facts of the case.

Presumably we should reduce the 1.5m drivers need to give cyclists when over taking cos shit drivers can’t possible be expected to do that 🙄

I agree but would extend it beyond mere anger to include any display of emotion at all, including laughter and smiling.

I heard on the radio today that the Queen’s grandmother, Mary of Teck, never smiled in public as she believed royals shouldn’t show any emotion to their people. I don’t get the impression she would have been a good driver, unlike the Queen who smiles and knows how to charge around the country lanes in a Range Rover, and hasn’t killed any cyclists.

Important article here. Behind a paywall, but anyone remotely interested in this great national debate will obviously be keen to subscribe to the Telegraph, if they haven't already done so:

The usual quality article from the torygraph I see - here is it if anyone really wants to read it.

We're talking about cars not drinkers on this thread.
Of course we are. But anyone prepared to defend what undoubtedly is a very extreme philosophy to a given problem should be able to back it up by applying it to other areas of life that present similar challenges.

I’ve always believed very few legal habits and practices that have some drawbacks justify being banned altogether. Moderation, reduction, more sensible and restrained use, absolutely fine. We should drive less. We should fly less. We should drink less. Outright ban? Fuck that for a laugh. Because it is simply OTT and unnecessary.

So whereas I respect anyone holding an opinion to the contrary, they ought to be able to back it up, including the test of applying it to other problematic habits they might be partial to. If you support the nuclear option of banning cars because some drivers are shit, you should absofuckinglutely be equally supportive of banning alcohol for the same reason. Otherwise you’d be a massive hypocrite who is happy to turn a blind eye to those things they might enjoy themselves from time to time.

So in short, do you know how many people in this forum who regularly like your posts calling for cars to be banned would support a ban on alcohol for similar reasons? The square root of fuck all, that’s how many. I wonder why…

We all know that it's not an outright ban everywhere that you're scared of in the foreseeable future. Yet all you can muster an argument against is the notion of an outright ban. Meanwhile T & P's killer argument is the same as it always has been: people who argue against car dependency might sometimes have to use a car themselves.

It's quite a pantomime act really. Keep it up.
Just quoting myself from a while back here, as T&P is now employing platinumsage's favoured "outright ban" approach alongside with one of his old favourites, the alcohol analogy (already dealt with several times over).

Think I'll start a "tired arguments against car restrictions" wiki to put all these in and save everyone some time.

God, not this tedious shit again. Shit drivers is only one of many very good reasons for getting rid of cars.
Whichever the other reasons you have in mind that might justify a total ban on cars, I reckon we could find plenty of similar ones around alcohol.

Whichever the other reasons you have in mind that might justify a total ban on cars, I reckon we could find plenty of similar ones around alcohol.
Waste of resources. I could easily make alcohol from fruit and veg grown in my garden with a minimum of resources.

I heard on the radio today that the Queen’s grandmother, Mary of Teck, never smiled in public as she believed royals shouldn’t show any emotion to their people. I don’t get the impression she would have been a good driver, unlike the Queen who smiles and knows how to charge around the country lanes in a Range Rover, and hasn’t killed any cyclists.

I nearly got run over by the Queen in Windsor Great Park, 1985. It’s my one interaction with any royal family memeber.

She was driving an old Rover. TBF I was being a twat at the time.

Just quoting myself from a while back here, as T&P is now employing platinumsage's favoured "outright ban" approach alongside with one of his old favourites, the alcohol analogy (already dealt with several times over).

Think I'll start a "tired arguments against car restrictions" wiki to put all these in and save everyone some time.
If someone posts a statement wishing for cars to be banned, and others like the post (and in some cases, multiple times over the years), how could you possibly say those liking the post are not supporting the proposal they just expressed their support for?

That’s been the most amusing thing about the anti car brigade in this forum. Credit where it’s due to farmerbarleymow , they have always kept a consistent position as far as I have seen. Nobody else seems to be able to settle on whether they’d like to see a significantly reduced car use, which is of course a very sensible proposition that even many of those evil car drivers would be on board with on principle, and a complete ban on cars.

Perhaps we should have a poll so we can put the issue to bed. What would those of you who generally see yourselves as ‘anti car’ like to happen?

1. Complete ban of all vehicles
  2. Ban of all vehicles where people live (out of town A-roads and motorways only)
  3. Ban where people live privately owned vehicles only
  4. As above but including club cars and hire vehicles
  5. As above plus all taxis and cabs- so just professional vehicles allowed
  6. Ban absolutely every vehicle that’s not emergency or otherwise indispensable- so no delivery or utility vehicles either unless they’re transporting cargo simply too heavy for even the fabled cargo bikes
  7. As above plus public transport buses and coaches. The former in particular causing a significant number of deaths and serious injuries to pedestrians
Let’s have your vote. Feel free to add any other options I have missed :)

If someone posts a statement wishing for cars to be banned, and others like the post (and in some cases, multiple times over the years), how could you possibly say those liking the post are not supporting the proposal they just expressed their support for?

That’s been the most amusing thing about the anti car brigade in this forum. Credit where it’s due to farmerbarleymow , they have always kept a consistent position as far as I have seen. Nobody else seems to be able to settle on whether they’d like to see a significantly reduced car use, which is of course a very sensible proposition that even many of those evil car drivers would be on board with on principle, and a complete ban on cars.

Perhaps we should have a poll so we can put the issue to bed. What would those of you who generally see yourselves as ‘anti car’ like to happen?

2. Ban of all vehicles where people live (out of town A-roads and motorways only)
  6. Ban absolutely every vehicle that’s not emergency or otherwise indispensable- so no delivery or utility vehicles either unless they’re transporting cargo simply too heavy for even the fabled cargo bikes
  7. As above plus public transport buses and coaches. The former in particular causing a significant number of deaths and serious injuries to pedestrians
Will the vote be binding?

Which post are we talking about here?

I trust we are not to take your vote options seriously. You've managed to come up with 7 different ones, none of which match anything anyone's seriously proposed on this thread, which is some kind of achievement I guess.

Congrats, against some pretty heavy opposition you may have managed to type out the most stupid post on this thread so far.

Back
Top Bottom