Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

You really add soooo much to this thread…..

I'm afraid without my sympathy posts to keep it going this thread would have run out of steam a long time ago. Principally because actual "propaganda" to support teuchter's deeply misconceived "long term agenda of eliminating the private car from the planet forever" has not been forthcoming.

I'm afraid without my sympathy posts to keep it going this thread would have run out of steam a long time ago. Principally because actual "propaganda" to support teuchter's deeply misconceived "long term agenda of eliminating the private car from the planet forever" has not been forthcoming.

That's certainly not true! Just in the last page or two, you can see that a couple of the thread's most backwards posters are coming round to a more enlightened mode of thinking - thanks to the education they have received on this thread:

Car owners [are] weird and sometimes plain unhinged

if he thought he had a god-given right to the public road space outside his gaff, and he could come talk to me to convince me otherwise if he wanted.

I'd be polishing up the paint stripper spray gun

That's certainly not true! Just in the last page or two, you can see that a couple of the thread's most backwards posters are coming round to a more enlightened mode of thinking - thanks to the education they have received on this thread:

I don't think they're coming round to anything tbf. I think this highlights your illusory perceptions about other people's attitudes to cars. It's perfectly reasonable to think that people shouldn't claim ownership of the road outside their house, and shouldn't park on pavements, or mow down lots children while disqualified while watching TikTok vidoes on their phone. These are normal middle-of-the road positions and don't indicate any adherence to an agenda of permanent private car elimination.

I'm against drunk strangers being sick on me and stabbing people with broken bottles. That doesn't mean I'm coming round to a more enlightned mode of thinking that involves the criminalization of possession of alcoholic drinks.

Wow - even platinumsage is starting to get it! Massive progress since earlier stages of this thread. Well done, platinumsage.

No "progress" at all. I've always held reasonable balanced views on such matters. I climbed on a car and walked over it's roof once because it was obstructing the pavement, well before seeing this thread. If you go on the pistonheads bad parking thread you'll find plenty of petrolheads arguing that pavement parking cars should be vandalized.

I know it must be disappointing for you to realize that most people are able to take a rational view of such matters without following you to your Kim Jong-un banfest hell where everyone trudges over muddy fields from their homes to the Tesco shuttle bus station, or is deported from their rural home to a highrise block in the newly created London borough of Basildon.

I know that you are a willing and enthusiastic car driver, so I hope that one day you'll find a way to align your professed opinions with your actions and take proper responsibility for your car use.

FQ-Vv0hXEAAVIf3

Exactly. What safety improvements have bicycle manufacturers introduced recently, or in the last half century for that matter, compared with the numerous, continuous and commendable advances by car makers? Bicycle manufacturers have a lot to answer for and no mistake.

You think all "sensible rational people" agree with you on this subject?
I think people who don't agree with me about the dominance of the private motorcar in modern societies aren't sensible or rational on that particular topic, yes. With some wiggle room for people who partially agree with me being partially sensible and rational.

I don't recall using the words sensible or rational tbh but I'll go with them on this occasion.

I'm quoting this post in case you try and edit it in the future, when you become proven wrong.

You make the same mistake that veganists do; observe a trend and then make the unwarranted logical leap that said trend will continue indefinitely. The fact that measures such as pedestrianisation, traffic calming, etc are being implemented with increasing frequency in urban areas says nothing about the continued future of private car ownership.

I'm quoting this post in case you try and edit it in the future, when you become proven wrong.
The only way there will be a massive reduction in the number of private cars is large scale vehicle automation. That probably will come eventually but it is going to be on a fairly long time scale. I don't know how old you are teuchter but unlikely in your lifetime.

You make the same mistake that veganists do; observe a trend and then make the unwarranted logical leap that said trend will continue indefinitely. The fact that measures such as pedestrianisation, traffic calming, etc are being implemented with increasing frequency in urban areas says nothing about the continued future of private car ownership.
Incorrect. You and your dinosaur ways are about to be swept away from under your feet.

You seem to underestimate the influence this thread is having on world transport trends.

The only way there will be a massive reduction in the number of private cars is large scale vehicle automation. That probably will come eventually but it is going to be on a fairly long time scale. I don't know how old you are teuchter but unlikely in your lifetime.

To be honest, I don't think even that is necessary.

If all forms of mass transit were made free at the point of use, then I think that alone would significantly reduce car usage, as well as the desire to own a car.

I don’t want to see private cars banned, I just want cities that are designed, built, and run in a way that makes using one there so utterly stupid/expensive/miserable that nobody bothers.

If all forms of mass transit were made free at the point of use, then I think that alone would significantly reduce car usage, as well as the desire to own a car.

This is the kind of simplistic solution that people come up with before they really think things through properly and accept that there are some more fundamental things that need to change as well. Read the thread, and then get back to us and we'll let you know if you're starting to get it or not.

Back
Top Bottom