Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

It's the thread of middle-aged men shouting into the void.

Middle-aged men shouting into the void is a good thing, because I can easily imagine an alternative of middle-aged male car-abolitionists who would shout at the fire brigade for not arriving on bicycles to rescue a family from a house fire.

Abolition of slavery
Abolition of the death penalty
Abolition of the privately owned motor car

Good word, abolitionism.

Abolition of slavery
Abolition of the death penalty
Abolition of the privately owned motor car

Good word, abolitionism.
Don't you think it's a bit crass to imply a similarity between car ownership and slavery?

I think we'd all like to see fewer (and smaller and cleaner) cars on the road (when public transport is sufficient to do without them), but some of the more extreme anti-car stuff just turns people off

I think we'd all like to see fewer (and smaller and cleaner) cars on the road (when public transport is sufficient to do without them), but some of the more extreme anti-car stuff just turns people off
I wouldn't, I'd like to see more, especially in London.

Yet another good reason to ban cars

and trains, according to that study:

“In this large nationwide cohort study, we found transportation noise from road traffic and railways to be associated with an increased risk of all-cause dementia and dementia subtypes, especially Alzheimer’s disease”

Roads will get quieter with electric vehicles, but railways won't, so best to ban them first.

I don't really understand how they would be unable to unpick noise from air pollution.

Roads will get quieter with electric vehicles, but railways won't, so best to ban them first.
Railway pollution has a much smaller spread. I live on the opposite side of the road to a busy (2 lines, 4 tracks) railway route and barely notice the noise. My opposite neighbours probably suffer a lot more but only a tiny proportion of people live close enough to hear it. Unlike cars which are allowed everywhere.

It's a reasonable question. How can they tell that noise rather than air pollution has contributed to dementia? A deaf control group?

They didn’t measure noise or air pollution, they modelled both using maps and polygons etc.

TBH I think they just haven’t accounted for all the confounding variables properly, and that transport noise doesn’t give you alzheimers.

Cool, I'll be over in a minute to rob you, then torture and kill you and everyone you live with. It's going to be a great evening.
For someone who often mocks or criticises other people's analogies or metaphors, you don't half do it yourself... :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom