KL Rahul c †Blundell b O'Rourke068000.00
Ravindra Jadeja c Patel b Henry065000.00
Ravichandran Ashwin c Phillips b Henry011000.00
Kuldeep Yadav c sub (MG Bracewell) b Henry217350011.76
Jasprit Bumrah c Henry b O'Rourke1330033.33
Mohammed Siraj not out416221025.00
Extras(lb 1, nb 1, w 2)4
Total31.2 Ov (RR: 1.46)46

At one point it looked like the 4th innings chase would be under 250 - daunting, but still a contest. Approaching 300, with a well set 9th wicket partnership...

Pakistan's test unless something really spectacular happens.

At least we're not India.

BattingRBM4s6sSR
Yashasvi Jaiswalc Patel b O'Rourke13631021020.63
Rohit Sharma (c)b Southee216300012.50
Virat Kohlic Phillips b O'Rourke0912000.00
Sarfaraz Khanc Conway b Henry033000.00
Rishabh Pant †c Latham b Henry2049782040.81
KL Rahulc †Blundell b O'Rourke068000.00
Ravindra Jadejac Patel b Henry065000.00
Ravichandran Ashwinc Phillips b Henry011000.00
Kuldeep Yadavc sub (MG Bracewell) b Henry217350011.76
Jasprit Bumrahc Henry b O'Rourke1330033.33
Mohammed Sirajnot out416221025.00
Extras(lb 1, nb 1, w 2)4
Total31.2 Ov (RR: 1.46)46
NZ 180-3 at the close.

And India won the toss!

Two down at the close, still 260 to get. Awful start, so could have been worse.

I'd rather be Pakistan, but I'm not counting England out of this. Will take something special from probably at least two batters. Root, Brook, Stokes, Smith are all capable of that. Hell Pope could have one of his flukey days.

Two down at the close, still 260 to get. Awful start, so could have been worse.

I'd rather be Pakistan, but I'm not counting England out of this. Will take something special from probably at least two batters. Root, Brook, Stokes, Smith are all capable of that. Hell Pope could have one of his flukey days.
It will surely be an exciting day of test cricket.

Pakistan have this. Bit of a back alley mugging tbh. Stack the pitch and pray like hell they win the toss. Still, makes Rawalpindi a decider.

Just watched the highlights of India-NZ. NZ bowled beautifully and took some stunning catches, but the ball was moving around all over the place - in the air and off the pitch, and with some uneven bounce.

Heavily overcast conditions following a wash-out on day 1, and India chose to bat! Initially they were braving it out, scoring at about a run an over and missing most deliveries by a distance. Then a few of them started hitting out out of frustration. If they'd survived to lunch maybe three down, it may have got easier, but in hindsight, batting first was a mad decision when they have Bumrah in their team.

First time I've seen Will O'Rourke. He looks like a real find. Pace, bounce and movement. Matt Henry is also consistently good nowadays. Has to be above Southee in the pecking order now. Nice problem to have, but I don't think Tim Southee gets into NZ's best team if everyone's fit.

Last edited:
How will the ninth-day pitch play?
Like day 8 but more. Not that it matters when England are Bazballing, but there's no point to trying to slowly grind it out, there are enough balls that just die on the pitch and roll through. As a batter there's one with your name on so it's a case of score quickly and hope you get lucky every so often.

I'm expecting the England scorecard to have a lot of "19 from 13 balls then out" type of innings, which won't be nearly enough.

Like day 8 but more. Not that it matters when England are Bazballing, but there's no point to trying to slowly grind it out, there are enough balls that just die on the pitch and roll through. As a batter there's one with your name on so it's a case of score quickly and hope you get lucky every so often.

I'm expecting the England scorecard to have a lot of "19 from 13 balls then out" type of innings, which won't be nearly enough.
I think this is likely right. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Pakistan will win by roughly their first innings lead. England needed to hold on to every catch today.

However, if there is a team that can do it, it is this England team.

I think this is likely right. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Pakistan will win by roughly their first innings lead. England needed to hold on to every catch today.

However, if there is a team that can do it, it is this England team.
50ish 9th wicket partnerships in both Pakistan innings, those will be the difference. Had England wrapped up the tail in a more timely fashion, take maybe 60-70 runs off the chase and it would look a lot more doable.

One for Andy Zaltzmann - has there ever been a match where 2 bowlers have taken all 20 wickets? 17 England wickets, 9 for Sajid Khan, 8 for Noman Ali.

One for Andy Zaltzmann - has there ever been a match where 2 bowlers have taken all 20 wickets? 17 England wickets, 9 for Sajid Khan, 8 for Noman Ali.
Zaltzmann has answered... 6 times before (3 post-war and last in 1972), and they're up to 9 each. Noman has been superb, put the ball in the right areas and let the pitch do the rest.

And just like that, 152 shy in the end. Each innings around 75 runs lower than the one that went before as the day 7-8-9 pitch deteriorated. Noman wins the battle of the bowlers 11-9, with unplayable figures of 8-46 in the second innings.

So a deciding test it is. Green top, seam friendly? Nah, didn't thinks so.

The good thing about England though is that they don't really care. I can't see them changing their style for the next test. And I can't see Pakistan playing so many spinners either in Rawalpindi. It'll be a bit greener.

On another note, how good is Jamie Smith. Keeping in Pakistan to a constant barrage of spin has to be quite tough.

Once again having it in the middle of the night eliminates the tedious fall of English wickets :thumbs: We were spared the all morning will-we-won't-we-will-we-won't-we ...

Back
Top Bottom