Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Emigrating to canada with criminal record

nwnc

Hi, this is my first post here, I opened an account based on an old thread that I came across:

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threa...o-the-usa-with-a-criminal-record.88652/page-7

Even though there were many irrelevant comments, there were some great posts as well, very informative, so I'll try my luck here. Although I do know that ultimately I will have to consult a lawyer and ask him a few hypothetical questions.

My story is simple, but a little complicated to start, so please bare with me.

I'm from the Uk, but when I was 6, my parents moved to France, and since that age, I have always been a resident there, officially speaking.

I moved back to the Uk when I was 17, and stayed until I was 25, at which point I went back to France. But whilst I was there, I picked up a conviction possession with attempt to supply of a controlled substance (xanax, it was counted as a class c, as I didn't have a prescription, I had around 800)

All the details of the case aren't clear in my mind, as it has been a while, but I was put on tag for 2 months and given community service, it was one of those sentences that would be cleared after 5 years (? from what I recall).

In the mean time, I have acquired an Irish passport (legally - through my mother).

If I was to try and apply for residency in Canada, and didn't mention Britain, is there any chance that I would make it passed the back ground checks? Would such a conviction even show up after the 5 years? My finger prints are in the data base, so if they checked with interpol I might be on there, but I read an article from a few years back that interpol had less than 200,000 prints, so I doubt mine would be there.

What I am basically looking for, is someone who knows or knows of someone who had a criminal record and managed to get permission to live in America or Canada. Or any other relevant information

Thanks for reading.

I'd have thought not mentioning where you were born and lived for 8 years was riskier than not mentioning a conviction. But yeah, ask a lawyer

Actually, after thinking it through, I've decided that my best chance is probably to do things by the book.

They have something called 'Rehabilitation'

What is rehabilitation?

Rehabilitation removes the grounds of criminal inadmissibility. Rehabilitation means that you lead a stable lifestyle and that you are unlikely to be involved in any further criminal activity.

You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation if you have:

• committed an act outside of Canada and five (5) years have elapsed since the act;
  • been convicted outside of Canada and five (5) years have passed since the end of the sentence imposed.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp#5312E4

So I'll just start doing lots of volunteer work etc, show them that i'm a model citizen...and pray like hell

Back
Top Bottom