Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ellen Meiksins Wood has died

Balls. One of the clearest marxist writers and thinkers of the last 40 years. Pretty much helped overturn a whole marxist interpretation of history and historical change (along with Brenner) without losing the central class perspective - in fact, offering one of the strongest defences of it against post-modernism and other recent degeneracies.

Here's a folder of her stuff.

'Recent degeneracies' - ha!

Thanks for the upload - I came across her in relation to Adolph Reed & followed on from there to a couple of essays in Jacobin & the LRB, but I've not read much. Another on the always-increasing list.

Fuck, like stethoscope I've not read loads of her stuff but the bits I have read were great, and highly readable.

broadly speaking what interpretation was that, and what was proposed instead?
She (along with Brenner who substantially originated the thesis before moving away from it in his later work) argued that, rather than capitalism developing in early britain out of external factors (increasingly extended geographical trade, war, plunder etc) that it developed along internal factors - namely class struggle between peasantry and landlords that forced the latter to modernise and adopt management techniques, increase labour-productiivty, invest in technology etc that led to early capitalism.

Also, and this is key, that this means the orthodox marxist view of a political bourgeois revolution opening up the economy to capitalist development that was seen as just sort of sitting there waiting to happen naturally when certain obstacles were removed has to be jettisoned because the above happened before any such bourgeois revolution happened in britain - and when we look across the channel we find that the opposite took place. So we have GB with capitalism without a bourgeois revolution and France with a bourgeois revolution without capitalism. The whole idea of bourgeois revolution and with it wider orthodox mainstream marxist view on 'stages of history' (and yes, that includes more sophisticated versions such as combined and uneven development that still rely on stages) is thrown into serious doubt.

Last edited:
Thanks... hard to talk about without knowing about or getting into the details, but when you say "thrown into serious doubt" , you mean the doubt being the inevitability of capitalism to come out from feudalism?

You did mention uneven stages of development, but my initial gut reaction is that societies develop in highly complex and uneven ways, with so many possible factors affecting the outcomes - but the bigger trend seems pretty irrefutable. The global dominance of capitalism seems to uphold that. Chinese history a good test case. Post-revolutionary France may not have had the forms of capitalism that GB had at the time, but it got there before very long... the stages up to capitalism seem pretty concrete to me.

The doubt that there is such a thing as a bourgeois revolution that frees up the space for a naturally occurring capitalism to develop by removing impediments and obstacles to this god-given development.

I put up a folder of stuff above with many works in which she wrote about this stuff ska - it's worth engaging with her arguments. A short outline of the broader debate is the Non-History of Capitalism piece in there.

I put up a folder of stuff above with many works in which she wrote about this stuff ska - it's worth engaging with her arguments. A short outline of the broader debate is the Non-History of Capitalism piece in there.

I've a decent pdf of the EMW reader produced by Historical Materialism, if anyone's interested.

I've a decent pdf of the EMW reader produced by Historical Materialism, if anyone's interested.
Bung it up, i've got a perfect version of it i can post if it's better than yours - i expect they're the same though. Re-read the intro to it yesterday and was toying with ploughing through the whole thing over the weekend but then remembered i've got so much other stuff to get through.

Nice little political obit/overview from one of the best of the next generation of 'political marxists' here.

Balls. One of the clearest marxist writers and thinkers of the last 40 years. Pretty much helped overturn a whole marxist interpretation of history and historical change (along with Brenner) without losing the central class perspective - in fact, offering one of the strongest defences of it against post-modernism and other recent degeneracies.

Here's a folder of her stuff.

I wish I had the time to read all the stuff you put up for us, I really do, but its good for me to know its here when I need it. As always, much appreciated.

I wish I had the time to read all the stuff you put up for us, I really do, but its good for me to know its here when I need it. As always, much appreciated.

My thoughts exactly!

It'd be great if, one day, butchersapron or someone could produce a short "must read" list of a dozen or so accessible texts for those of us who'll never get through the more comprehensive folders of stuff.

I do realise that's likely an impossible task though! :(

My thoughts exactly!

It'd be great if, one day, butchersapron or someone could produce a short "must read" list of a dozen or so accessible texts for those of us who'll never get through the more comprehensive folders of stuff.

I do realise that's likely an impossible task though! :(
When i was in the AF i tried to produce an internal education timeline+reading guide for our side of things(Anarchist comunism-->pre-WW1 syndicalism-->WW1 ultra-lefts--> council communists+unionen-->dutch-german left-->italian left-->platform and organised libertarian communism-->post war bordiguists (and then the spining off into various competing groups)-->socalisme ou barbarism-->forest-johnson+ related groups-->early operaismo-->red and black group in france-->situationists--> french splits from bordiguism--solidarity-->the italian developments+red notes stuff-->combate and Portuguese groups - you get the picture). But it became too much to cover each group/development properly within the required historical and other contexts (and the above is an edited version of who would need to be included) and just too...big. I must try and dig out the file if i can find it. I Sent the proposal around a few book publishers to some interest but, as often happens, the real world intervened. And that's just for a limited minority tradition, never mind the larger one...

Last edited:
Bung it up, i've got a perfect version of it i can post if it's better than yours - i expect they're the same though. Re-read the intro to it yesterday and was toying with ploughing through the whole thing over the weekend but then remembered i've got so much other stuff to get through.

Nice little political obit/overview from one of the best of the next generation of 'political marxists' here.

EMW reader.

Last edited:
Totally 100% recommended the above and if you like those selections moving onto the books. Will challenge you like few other writers.

This has sent me back to The Origin of Capitalism; which I'm really enjoying...and at a little over 100 A5 size pages, is almost welcoming for any one wanting to dip their toe.

She wrote brilliantly and had a really incisive mind; fortunately she has left a really readable and useful body of work.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

If Ellen Melkins Wood had not died I would never have heard of her. Now that I have I have been reading from some of what Butchers has put up. It is as advertised clear and very readable. I couldn't stop reading. I will return to this often.

Neil Davidson, someone who seriously engaged with Brenner and EMW's political marxist work has died. I had actually intended to have a read and re-read of his recentish series of major works at some point this year. Here's a folder of them. There's overviews and positions across the 'political marxism' debates here. RIP to a serious marxist thinker.

Back
Top Bottom