Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

My scooter works best on roads. Pavements are for people.
End of.
Such fun though. I just pootled back via Peckham Rye and Brenchley Gardens. Hardly any traffic and certainly nothing beating my 16mph. Really relaxing and a great workout, you have to surf stance!

Sitting in a farmhouse in Northumberland - local news item about a rental scooter trial in Middlesbrough- the local youth are trashing them already, riding around indoor shopping malls and a pair have been arrested on the A19 dual carriageway the other night. The British are arseholes .

Wheels are too small for any of the roads near me
Is there any advantage to them instead of a bicycle except the obvious one of compactness for storage?

The more I see of these in that there Europe-land the more I can see how hire ones work. If you own one what do you do when you park it? Some cunt will have it away in seconds in the U.K.

The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority is to become the first region in the country to roll out both e-Bikes and e-Scooters to the public, it says.

The authority has appointed European e-Scooter operator Voi to deliver the scheme on a 12-month trial basis to provide e-Bikes across the region and test out e-Scooters in the centre of Cambridge. Here, the e-Scooters will be closely assessed for safety and viability in the coming weeks, with the e-Bikes being rolled out imminently.

Whilst supporting the introduction and use of e-scooters, the Committee advises that current rental trials and any plans for legalisation should not be to the detriment of pedestrians, particularly disabled people.

The Committee calls for robust enforcement measures to eliminate pavement use of e-scooters, which the report says is dangerous and anti-social. If the Government supports the Committee’s recommendation and decides to legalise privately owned e-scooters, the law should clearly prohibit their use on pavements and ensure that such enforcement measures are effective in eliminating this behaviour.

The Transport Committee further caveats its report by calling for a sensible and proportionate regulatory framework for the legal use of electric scooters, based firmly on evidence gained from current rental trials and from other countries. The current rental trials should allow important evidence and data to determine the best way to legally incorporate both rental and privately owned e-scooters within the UK’s transport mix.

The Department for Transport must also encourage the use of e-scooters to replace short car journeys rather than walking and cycling. The Committee warns that it would be counter-productive if an uptake in e-scooters, whether rental or private, primarily replaced more active and healthy forms of travel and calls for the Department to continue promoting active travel as a key policy.

From the report:

Enforcement
96.Several witnesses highlighted that robust enforcement will be needed to prevent users riding e-scooters on pavements.169 However, there were concerns about how successful this would be in practice, and whether authorities and police would have the capacity to enforce pavement use effectively.170 The Bicycle Association noted that there was a lack of clarity on the offences that apply to illegal use of e-scooters, and the AA questioned how strictly the e-scooter trials would be enforced.171 The Local Government Association told us that councils will require additional funding to enforce e-scooter safety restrictions.172 The RNIB wanted a Government publicity campaign on e-scooters, with clear messaging not to use them on pavements.173

97.E-scooter operators told us about some of the technical tools available to identify whether a user has ridden on the pavement. Lime told us that they can retrospectively identify if a user has ridden on the pavement by comparing the data from users’ journeys. It is then possible to penalize a user retrospectively.174 Voi said “where people try to break the law, there are ways in which we can stop them. If we know that someone is reported with GPS, we will know who that person was and when they did it. We can enforce that later.” Voi also said that over time, with improvements in technology, it may be possible to more proactively identify e-scooter users riding illegally on pavements.175 There remain wider concerns about enforcing the use of privately owned e-scooters, which are not part of the trials, as they are not subject to restrictions and penalties by an operator in the same way rental ones are.

98.In its guidance for e-scooter operators and local authorities, the Department said that prior to approving a trial scheme, the operator and local authority must demonstrate that they have considered enforcement issues with the relevant authorities, and that the e-scooter vehicles they plan to deploy can be made visible and distinct from privately owned e-scooters.176 The Minister told us “we would not authorise any trial to go ahead unless it had evidence that it had engaged with the law enforcement agencies in its local area and had constructed a robust and realistic enforcement plan.” The Minister clarified the offences for illegal e-scooter use: “users can be fined up to £300. They can have six points put on their driving licence, and the e-scooter can be impounded. There are also offences under the Road Traffic Act related to drunk driving and careless driving. They would also apply to e-scooter users.”177

99.An e-scooter travelling on a pavement at a speed of up to 15.5 mph is a serious hazard both for the user and pedestrians. Local authorities need plans in place to monitor and discourage pavement use during rental trials in their local areas. Rental e-scooter operators must use the technology available to vigorously discourage pavement use. Local authorities and e-scooter operators must be able to demonstrate that measures to tackle such dangerous and antisocial behaviour are effective.

100.In responding to this Report, the Department should clarify how it intends to monitor whether e-scooters during the rental trials are being ridden on pavements and the number of users penalised for this offence and that it has evaluated and identified effective measures to eliminate such antisocial behaviour.

101.Should privately-owned e-scooters be legalised, the Government should ensure that the law clearly prohibits the pavement use of e-scooters, that there are robust enforcement measures are in place and that such measures are effective in eliminating this behaviour.

I'm remain completely dubious about effective enforcement, unless there's some fancy technological solution - which can be applied to privately owned e-scooters. At the moment they're all over the pavements.

To no one's surprise:

London is country’s e-scooter accident blackspot

Londoners accounted for more than two thirds (68%) of all recorded injuries nationwide involving e-scooters, according to newly released data from the Department for Transport.

The figures, sourced by Quotezone.co.uk under a freedom of information request, cover 2018 and 2019 and show that men between 25-64 make up half of all casualties. Men also account for 80% of all injured e-scooter riders.

The first ever UK e-scooter related fatality occurred in May 2019 in Battersea. There were 56 other accidents recorded over the two years involving e-scooters, 16 were noted as serious.

As e-scooters are relatively new to the UK the data is not substantial enough yet to fully understand the impact of these devices. In America, however, e-scooters have been part of rental schemes since 2012. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission found that A&E visits involving e-scooters doubled from 15,000 in 2018 to 27,700 a year later. Fatalities stood at 27 from 2017-19, but were expected to rise as the figures are not finalised. Similar to the UK, the he US data showed 58% of e-scooter injuries involved men over 25.

E-scooters are also known as motorised scooters and are a type of Personal Light Electric Vehicle (PLEV). They are powered stand-up scooters that use a small engine, usually powered by an electric motor with some capable of exceeding 30mph. Halfords predicts UK sales could soar 30% annually on current yearly sales of around 50,000 units, as they have the potential to provide a cheap, greener and socially distanced way to travel.

There could be further growth in sales if organisations such as the London Cycle Campaign prevail in their efforts to get e-scooters legalised and allowed on cycle tracks.

Responding to the data, Greg Wilson says: “For those thinking of investing in an e-scooter this Christmas, you need to be aware that you can’t use them in public spaces unless via rental schemes. You don’t want to run the risk of adding points to your licence and potentially increasing the cost of your car insurance premium.

“Due to the relatively new nature of this vehicle, e-scooters are not designated as a separate vehicle type on accident reports – meaning the statistics we found during our research could actually be a lot higher, therefore it’s wise to be careful and take the appropriate safety precautions – whilst sticking to riding only in the designated areas or on private grounds.”

Let’s hope the burden of fault/ responsibility in accidents involving scooter riders and motor vehicles doesn’t fall unfairly on the latter simply because they were the less vulnerable of the two, certainly in those cases when the scooter riders were behaving like dicks.

Let's hope it falls fairly on them.
Fairly is certainly the operative word. Because if someone is riding a scooter at night on the pavement and decides to suddenly jump onto the road at 15 mph from behind a parked van without even checking for incoming traffic to avoid peds on the pavement; or if they ride the wrong way up a narrow one-way street; or jump a set of red lights at a busy junction; or generally behave recklessly and illegaly in a number of other ways, if they then get hit by a vehicle the driver of the latter would be (or certainly should be) completely blameless unless they were driving recklessly or illegally as well.

If they're riding legally and sensibly and get hit by a vehicle not showing due care or attention, or breaking the law, the driver should have the book thrown at them of course.

Last edited:
As mentioned elsewhere on these boards i am currently having to navigate as a pedestrian with my right eye only.Was already somewhat daunted by presence on the pavement of young scamps on electric scooters I now realise how much more harrowing this is for the visually-challenged.I like the idea but don't know how they will be kept off the pavements not to mention pedestrianised areas.

Fairly is certainly the operative word. Because if someone is riding a scooter at night on the pavement and decides to suddenly jump onto the road at 15 mph from behind a parked van without even checking for incoming traffic to avoid peds on the pavement; or if they ride the wrong way up a narrow one-way street; or jump a set of red lights at a busy junction; or generally behave recklessly and illegaly in a number of other ways, if they then get hit by a vehicle the driver of the latter would be (or certainly should be) completely blameless unless they were driving recklessly or illegally as well.

If they're riding legally and sensibly and get hit by a vehicle not showing due care or attention, or breaking the law, the driver should have the book thrown at them of course.
Well, we've been through this argument before, but if drivers aren't driving in such a way that they have a reasonable chance of stopping in response to something unexpectedly emerging from behind a parked vehicle, then they are not driving safely. The Highway Code says they should be anticipating the possibility of children emerging from between parked vehicles, so they should already be doing what is necessary to avoid a collision with a scooter emerging unexpectedly.

Scooter riders should be doing the same, of course.

Well, we've been through this argument before, but if drivers aren't driving in such a way that they have a reasonable chance of stopping in response to something unexpectedly emerging from behind a parked vehicle, then they are not driving safely. The Highway Code says they should be anticipating the possibility of children emerging from between parked vehicles, so they should already be doing what is necessary to avoid a collision with a scooter emerging unexpectedly.

I think people have a responsibility to not walk or ride into the path of a motor vehicle. If people want to do it, good luck to them but something in physics means they'll probably lose. I just hope they don't damage anyone's car in the process.

As mentioned elsewhere on these boards i am currently having to navigate as a pedestrian with my right eye only.Was already somewhat daunted by presence on the pavement of young scamps on electric scooters I now realise how much more harrowing this is for the visually-challenged.I like the idea but don't know how they will be kept off the pavements not to mention pedestrianised areas.
That's pretty much where I am on it. Love the idea - anything that encourages people to get out of their stinky cars is fine by me - but practically, where I live, they're already becoming a fucking pain in the arse.

That's pretty much where I am on it. Love the idea - anything that encourages people to get out of their stinky cars is fine by me - but practically, where I live, they're already becoming a fucking pain in the arse.
Curmudgeon!

And if they jump red lights? Or are riding the wrong way up a narrow one way street, hit a parked car and fall right in front of a moving vehicle travelling legally towards them? Or they rear end a car waiting at a red lights?

There are a good number of situations- however infrequent- in which even the UK Highway Code could not find the motor vehicle driver at fault in a collision with a non-vehicle user, if the latter is breaking the HC and behaving recklessly.

The best a driver can usually expect from any such incident involving a ped or cyclist is to be found not at fault- forget about claiming repair costs from the other party. But since scooter riders have to be insured, I hope that they will at least be seen as liable if they were found to be at fault in a collision, and made to pay for any damage caused to the other party’s vehicle.

Met Police update. 70MPH scooters!

The Met has provided an update on the latest advice to people using e-scooters in London.

Chief Superintendent Simon Ovens, from the Met’s Road and Transport Policing Command, said privately owned e-scooters remain illegal on roads and in public places.

Chf Supt Ovens said: “I believe that some people are using e-scooters as an attractive mode of transport, especially in their commute to work, but they remain notoriously dangerous, and illegal when driven in public areas or on the roads. Under the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is the equivalent of riding a motorcycle on the road without any MOT, tax or insurance.

“Whilst we have seized e-scooters which can operate up to 40 mph, there are some which can reach 70 mph. There is no test required to be able to ride one which means people often do not have an understanding of the road awareness; they do not wear a helmet or have lights on them so riding one means they are putting themselves and others at risk, especially at this time of year with the early evenings.”

Due to their illegal use, collisions on e-scooters are underreported. In 2018 there were four reported collisions and in 2019 that rose to 32.

Ch Supt Ovens continued: “My priority is to keep people safe on our roads and make sure people are aware of the rules and look out for their own, and others, safety.

“In the lead up to Christmas, we want to remind people that if you are buying one, under current legislation, you can only ride it on private land with the land owner’s permission.

“If you are out on an e-scooter in London, expect to be stopped by officers as we continue to help keep Londoners safe.”

Offences committed can include, but are not exclusive to, operating a vehicle without insurance, contravening a cycle lane, or riding them on the pavement. Officers can issue e-scooter riders with a Traffic Offence Report (TOR), where appropriate. The consequences of this can be up to a £300 fine and six points on your driving licence.

Operation Hornet, the Met’s safety operation around e-scooters, has now been running for over a year. This allows officers to give one-time warnings to those who are stopped after explaining the legislation to them. To date officers have seized 268 e-scooters and given 604 warnings.

Due to the speeds they can go, and because they are silent and unregistered we are now seeing them being used to commit crime. Since July we have had reports of over 290 crimes carried out involving one for various offences including robbery, assault and theft currently under investigation by officers.

Public safety remains our utmost priority and this Road Safety Week (RSW) is a reminder to every one of the dangers of riding an e-scooter illegally both to the individual and those on the road or pavements in London.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Metropolitan Police Service recognises the need for more sustainable and greener methods of transport however, it is important that members of the public realise that under current legislation, the riding of private e-scooters on the road or in a public place remains illegal.

Specific legislation has been put in place for an e-scooter trial which could take place in the spring in London. The Met fully support this and the trial will focus on the safety of both the rider and road users. Fundamentally, we want to keep members of the public safe on the roads and pavements in London.

Further advice can be found at:

Powered transporters.

Met Police update. 70MPH scooters!

The Met has provided an update on the latest advice to people using e-scooters in London.

Chief Superintendent Simon Ovens, from the Met’s Road and Transport Policing Command, said privately owned e-scooters remain illegal on roads and in public places.

Chf Supt Ovens said: “I believe that some people are using e-scooters as an attractive mode of transport, especially in their commute to work, but they remain notoriously dangerous, and illegal when driven in public areas or on the roads. Under the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is the equivalent of riding a motorcycle on the road without any MOT, tax or insurance.

“Whilst we have seized e-scooters which can operate up to 40 mph, there are some which can reach 70 mph. There is no test required to be able to ride one which means people often do not have an understanding of the road awareness; they do not wear a helmet or have lights on them so riding one means they are putting themselves and others at risk, especially at this time of year with the early evenings.”

Due to their illegal use, collisions on e-scooters are underreported. In 2018 there were four reported collisions and in 2019 that rose to 32.

Ch Supt Ovens continued: “My priority is to keep people safe on our roads and make sure people are aware of the rules and look out for their own, and others, safety.

“In the lead up to Christmas, we want to remind people that if you are buying one, under current legislation, you can only ride it on private land with the land owner’s permission.

“If you are out on an e-scooter in London, expect to be stopped by officers as we continue to help keep Londoners safe.”

Offences committed can include, but are not exclusive to, operating a vehicle without insurance, contravening a cycle lane, or riding them on the pavement. Officers can issue e-scooter riders with a Traffic Offence Report (TOR), where appropriate. The consequences of this can be up to a £300 fine and six points on your driving licence.

Operation Hornet, the Met’s safety operation around e-scooters, has now been running for over a year. This allows officers to give one-time warnings to those who are stopped after explaining the legislation to them. To date officers have seized 268 e-scooters and given 604 warnings.

Due to the speeds they can go, and because they are silent and unregistered we are now seeing them being used to commit crime. Since July we have had reports of over 290 crimes carried out involving one for various offences including robbery, assault and theft currently under investigation by officers.

Public safety remains our utmost priority and this Road Safety Week (RSW) is a reminder to every one of the dangers of riding an e-scooter illegally both to the individual and those on the road or pavements in London.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Metropolitan Police Service recognises the need for more sustainable and greener methods of transport however, it is important that members of the public realise that under current legislation, the riding of private e-scooters on the road or in a public place remains illegal.

Specific legislation has been put in place for an e-scooter trial which could take place in the spring in London. The Met fully support this and the trial will focus on the safety of both the rider and road users. Fundamentally, we want to keep members of the public safe on the roads and pavements in London.

Further advice can be found at:

Powered transporters.

This is bollocks though:

There's loads of these things whizzing around London, a place with gazillions of Old Bill lurking around. All they need to do is stop one and they can confiscate it, they could take hundreds in a single day. Not like you'll be rushing out to buy a new one for a couple of hundred quid a pop...

This is bollocks though:

There's loads of these things whizzing around London, a place with gazillions of Old Bill lurking around. All they need to do is stop one and they can confiscate it, they could take hundreds in a single day. Not like you'll be rushing out to buy a new one for a couple of hundred quid a pop...

I call bullshit on them leccy scooters doing 70mph. That’s some speed that.

Back
Top Bottom