Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

Even if you don’t have a license you can get points. I’ve got 6 points on my “license”

Yeah I know, an acquaintance of mine will be given 26 points should he ever apply for one. With the e-scooter thing the police will fine you for riding pissed or dangerously but don’t go down the future endorsement of licence route, but will endorse a licence if one is held, an additional punishment, cos ACAB.

If I didn't have a licence and was confident I was never going to bother to get one, I'd be tempted to see how many points I could rack up on my 'future' licence :D
Don’t forget you can go to prison once you get banned though. 13 points or more and you likely would get a short and sweet.

Yeah I know, an acquaintance of mine will be given 26 points should he ever apply for one. With the e-scooter thing the police will fine you for riding pissed or dangerously but don’t go down the future endorsement of licence route, but will endorse a licence if one is held, an additional punishment, cos ACAB.
I’m surprised he didn’t go to prison. As I mentioned in the comment above once you are banned it’s a different ball game.

I’m surprised he didn’t go to prison. As I mentioned in the comment above once you are banned it’s a different ball game.

Not usually, driving on a ban can do, usually drunk driving on a drunk driving ban, but even then you have to be way over the limit. Totting up for speeding, no insurance and so on doesn’t get you sent down.

Not usually, driving on a ban can do, usually drunk driving on a drunk driving ban, but even then you have to be way over the limit. Totting up for speeding, no insurance and so on doesn’t get you sent down.

Totting up results in you getting a 12 month ban(iirc). Let’s say you get caught driving again... so driving while disqualified, and as such no insurance. Another ban added, and maybe some CS. Let’s say you get caught again... that’s really taking the piss! I think it was you yourself on another thread said that it’s usually district judges nowadays sitting in the magistrates, and they don’t mess about.

Driving on a ban will do.
Totting up results in you getting a 12 month ban(iirc). Let’s say you get caught driving again... so driving while disqualified, and as such no insurance. Another ban added, and maybe some CS. Let’s say you get caught again... that’s really taking the piss! I think it was you yourself on another thread said that it’s usually district judges nowadays sitting in the magistrates, and they don’t mess about.

If either of you can find an example of someone being sent down for driving whilst on a ban for speeding totting, up with no other aggravating circumstances, I’ll bung a score at the server fund.

Arguably it is irresponsible not to imprison ,however briefly,one who having been told by a Court that he is not safe to be behind the wheel/handle-bars proceeds to drive again anyway thus demonstrating not only his lack of regard for the safety of other road-users but also his lack of interest in what the Magistrates have had to say to him/her.

Arguably it is irresponsible not to imprison ,however briefly,one who having been told by a Court that he is not safe to be behind the wheel/handle-bars proceeds to drive again anyway thus demonstrating not only his lack of regard for the safety of other road-users but also his lack of interest in what the Magistrates have had to say to him/her.
And rightly so. Play with feathers and you can expect to get ya arsed tickled.

And there’s your aggravating factor.

Scooter-2.jpg

1916 - folding electric scooter

1611194933798.png

Scooter.jpg

Scooter-4.jpg

100 years of scooters!

Those pictures are a great find

Obviously she is using it illegally on the road: hanging too good etc,

The 1916 one would have probably been more successful if the foot pump had been invented at that time, and they had thought to put air into the tyres

Right, I had a go of one of those rental ones in Milton Keynes. It was a hoot round the massive covid empty car park surrounding the Escape venue. Not sure I’d fancy it in traffic though...

Last edited:
I got myself sorted with one a few weeks ago. A Pure Air.

has 10" wheels so a little bigger the 8" wheels you see a lot of. Adds a lot of stability and a smoother ride.

Been a bit wary of taking it out on the road so far. Mainly kept to river cycle paths and country tracks where you are unlikely to see plod.

Plod to watch out for are:

Traffic Cops
Motorbike Cops
Cycle Cops.

The average copper does not seem too bothered but the Met have been funded 100,000 to conduct stings over January and February. Hopefully now we are in march the funding will have run out.

Hopefully later this year (after the trials) they will be legalised.

I will be happy with:
Helmet
Lights
15MPH restrictions
Hi vis
No pavements (unless it is a cycleway/pedestrian shared path)

Which will be broadly in line with other European countries.

Mine has a range of 18 miles. This costs me approximately 15p in electricity to charge. These will aid social mobility a lot.

Specs are
350 watt rear drive motor
7 degree uphill
IP65 waterproof (most are IP56 - mine can get seriously drenched in a downpour)
Max distance 18 miles (idea conditions not taking into account factors like weight of rider/cold weather)
Max speed 15MPH (restricted)

Oh and they are a HUGE amount of fun!

The sooner they are legalized and regulated the better for everyone.

Are you still out on yours TopCat ?

Last edited:
Hope the price comes down! Pure Air at £400 is well out of my pathetic budget!
OTOH motoring is expensive.With the dough I have just forked out for a catalytic converter to get my banger through yet another MOT I could have bought myself a Pure Air by the sounds of it.Probably be getting to work quicker if I had.:(

OTOH motoring is expensive.With the dough I have just forked out for a catalytic converter to get my banger through yet another MOT I could have bought myself a Pure Air by the sounds of it.Probably be getting to work quicker if I had.:(
I remember how much they've cost me in the past! Definitely couldn't afford to run one now :(

There was me thinking this was a first :facepalm: Ipswich man charged with drink-driving after electric scooter incident

I was once given a lecture for riding a cycle, while under the influence. On a Saturday morning :D

It seems they have handed out a much harsher sentence to the drunk scooterist who was mainly in danger of injuring herself, than is regularly handed out to speeding motorists who could easily have killed someone.

It seems they have handed out a much harsher sentence to the drunk scooterist who was mainly in danger of injuring herself, than is regularly handed out to speeding motorists who could easily have killed someone.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the average Hampshire magistrate has put people at far greater risk driving back from his local rotary club meeting.

And rightly so! An unsuspecting motorist may have run over him and had to suffer irreversible trauma for the rest of their life!
Good call, I say.

I got myself sorted with one a few weeks ago. A Pure Air.

has 10" wheels so a little bigger the 8" wheels you see a lot of. Adds a lot of stability and a smoother ride.

Been a bit wary of taking it out on the road so far. Mainly kept to river cycle paths and country tracks where you are unlikely to see plod.

Plod to watch out for are:

Traffic Cops
Motorbike Cops
Cycle Cops.

The average copper does not seem too bothered but the Met have been funded 100,000 to conduct stings over January and February. Hopefully now we are in march the funding will have run out.

Hopefully later this year (after the trials) they will be legalised.

I will be happy with:
Helmet
Lights
15MPH restrictions
Hi vis
No pavements (unless it is a cycleway/pedestrian shared path)

Which will be broadly in line with other European countries.

Mine has a range of 18 miles. This costs me approximately 15p in electricity to charge. These will aid social mobility a lot.

Specs are
350 watt rear drive motor
7 degree uphill
IP65 waterproof (most are IP56 - mine can get seriously drenched in a downpour)
Max distance 18 miles (idea conditions not taking into account factors like weight of rider/cold weather)
Max speed 15MPH (restricted)

Oh and they are a HUGE amount of fun!

The sooner they are legalized and regulated the better for everyone.

Are you still out on yours TopCat ?
I got a puncture last Autumn and haven’t fixed it yet. I would not have ridden it in inclement weather anyway. Must buy a tyre today.

Not sure how accident/injury statistics are panning out but I think I am quite in favour of these scooters. People can take them on trains and maybe even buses without taking up much extra space. That means they can do the journey legs at each end of a journey on the scooter. From this point of view they are arguably better than bikes (or perhaps similar to folding bikes). If they are being used by people who might otherwise be inclined to drive, but who don't want to cycle, that's a good thing. Cycling has a problem that it can be perceived as a white-middle-class thing but the scooters appear to escape this association. A wider range of people having an interest in the provision of things like cycle lanes is good.

Back
Top Bottom