Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

The low accident rate figures are just down to under-reporting because it's currently an illegal form of transport.

Here's one death right here after a 10 second Google. No way that's the only one.

The figure that were given to the House of Lords were for rentals only. I would imagine the private ones would have a lower accident rate due to the user actually being used to using it as opposed to jumping straight onto a mode of transport you may have never used before (hire scooters)

As far as I am aware, that is the only death due to electric scooter in the UK (and it was private, not hired) which is pretty good going considering there is an estimated 350,000 private ones currently on the roads).

Limiting e-scooters, and all other motor vehicles, to 10 or 15mph in urban areas would make things safer for everyone, including pedestrians. The only reason it can't happen is because the kind of motorists who drive things like cars instead of scooters are so obsessed with their claimed freedom to go at whatever speed they want, which they think is one of their "human rights".

Difference between the rental ones and private ones is that the rental ones have gps controls that stop you using them in certain areas and limit speeds in others, quite sophisticated. They also have kerfews (general or area-dependent).

Authorities can also be sure of insurance.

Limiting e-scooters, and all other motor vehicles, to 10 or 15mph in urban areas would make things safer for everyone, including pedestrians. The only reason it can't happen is because the kind of motorists who drive things like cars instead of scooters are so obsessed with their claimed freedom to go at whatever speed they want, which they think is one of their "human rights".
It's a right that's earned by having the ability to, and subsequently passing a driving test. It's something that most adults with a modicum of higher cognitive functioning thrive to achieve.

Why a driver test for something that goes no faster than a bike and weight less than a bike?

Sod that, I am happy with the transport committee's proposals.
It's not the weight of the vehicle, it's the 20 stone person with a Big Mac in one hand and a phone in the other, slamming into you at 30mph. That's a good enough reason to force people to take a test.

As ever, the obstacle in the way of making these more freely available for all - with the obvious benefits for urban transportation - is cars.
No it isn't, that's absurd. It's like saying the only obstacle in the way of us all floating our way to work on levitating beds is cars.

The figure that were given to the House of Lords were for rentals only. I would imagine the private ones would have a lower accident rate due to the user actually being used to using it as opposed to jumping straight onto a mode of transport you may have never used before (hire scooters)

As far as I am aware, that is the only death due to electric scooter in the UK (and it was private, not hired) which is pretty good going considering there is an estimated 350,000 private ones currently on the roads).

I believe there has only been the one death in the UK so far.

But the low reporting rate for private ones is that people roll up at A&E are not going to admit they did it on an illegal form of transport.

re e-bikes, the ones that need no pedalling are electric motorbikes and need a licence and are subject to the same regs regarding driving as regular motorbikes. As my mate who's just bought one to get from the station to his house up the hill has discovered, vs. my e-assist-bike that requires very little effort to get up the same hill in full power mode, yet the drink limit before the law kicks in is such that you wouldn't be able to find the fucking bike in the first place, let alone ride it :)

It's not the weight of the vehicle, it's the 20 stone person with a Big Mac in one hand and a phone in the other, slamming into you at 30mph. That's a good enough reason to force people to take a test.

1) 20 stone people ride bikes.
2) The ones that are to be legalized will travel at about the same speed as bikes, if not a bit slower. Not 30mph.
3) It is impossible ride one with a big mac and a phone (unless you have a world beating sense of balance) so i am not sure anyone is going to attempt that. It is easier done on a bike if that is your thing.

1) 20 stone people ride bikes.
2) The ones that are to be legalized will travel at about the same speed as bikes, if not a bit slower. Not 30mph.
3) It is impossible ride one with a big mac and a phone (unless you have a world beating sense of balance) so i am not sure anyone is going to attempt that. It is easier done on a bike if that is your thing.
You're missing the whole bikes/grandfather rights thing. If bikes were invented today, they'd be limited to 5mph, and their owners would have to take a test of competency.

You're missing the whole bikes/grandfather rights thing. If bikes were invented today, they'd be limited to 5mph, and their owners would have to take a test of competency.

If bikes were invented today, there would be loads of people having hissy fits about them because young people use them.

I partly agree with you but similar incidents involving cars (driven 'mostly' by licensed and insured drivers) are equally bad and more likely to cause injury or death.
I certainly won't dispute that, because I couldn't, but just because cars are more dangerous, doesn't mean electric scooters aren't dangerous. But at least car drivers have a mandatory insurance requirement, in case they do hit somebody and leave them paralysed from the eyebrows down.

Back
Top Bottom