Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

And, yet again, we focus on the exact same relatively rare events and ignore 1800 dead a year. Well done.
Yebbut... whatabout... more... less... not as...

I'm saying everybody who rides or drives a vehicle should be tested and should be insured. Or do you think the odd death-by-cyclist is OK, because it doesn't happen often?

Not suggesting these scooters couldn't be useful in helping with traffic congestion,pollution and so forth but I think that there needs to be some specific legislation regarding their use sooner rather than later.As has been suggested upthread there is every sign that their use is going to grow exponentially this year and it is much the best thing if everyone can be clear about what is legal and what isn't.Particularly because they seem to be being ridden by children at about twenty miles per hour through town-centres alternately on the left side of the road,on the right side of the road and mostly on pavements.

I do have insurance for my pushbike (shocker I know) and would take up insurance on one of these.

I do have insurance for my pushbike (shocker I know) and would take up insurance on one of these.
Any upstanding citizen would, because it's the right thing to do.
I fly some rather large model helicopters, which could cause some serious damage if they hit somebody (or something), and while accidents are extremely rare, pretty much everyone gets insurance for them, just in case something goes wrong. Not because they like paying for things they don't need, but because it's the right thing to do, just in case that million to one thing does happen.

Less than a pound a week, or £1.50 for a family. You'd have to be a bit of a cunt to think other people's lives and property aren't worth that.
And you get membership to that wonderful site thrown in.
So you think other people's lives are worth £1?

Doesn't surprise me.

Having worked in live events and with an understanding of personal liability it is necessary.

Have had two bike stacks this year :facepalm: one where I went into the front wing of a Range Rover. It was his fault in that case but I don't want that kind of exposure/cost.

Bottom line is some people are selfish cunts. Said cunts drive/cycle/scoot/walk when distracted/tired/drunk/angry/stupid/etc.

The reason I bang this drum is that a car, van, lorry will hurt/kill you a lot worse than the other options due to weight and size. We live a small country and our road infrastructure is built around cars which is a poor show.

If only we had an affordable and decent public transport network things could be different. My 45 minute commute was over £5k a year. Rural transport is expensive and unreliable, I fully understand why people want/need a car

If only eh...

Last edited:
Not suggesting these scooters couldn't be useful in helping with traffic congestion,pollution and so forth but I think that there needs to be some specific legislation regarding their use sooner rather than later.As has been suggested upthread there is every sign that their use is going to grow exponentially this year and it is much the best thing if everyone can be clear about what is legal and what isn't.Particularly because they seem to be being ridden by children at about twenty miles per hour through town-centres alternately on the left side of the road,on the right side of the road and mostly on pavements.

This is heading our way later this year and will be formed from the results from the trials (which seem to be largely successful so far)

Recommendations from the transport committee as it stands:

Under 350 watts in power
Speed limited to 15mph
Safety gear such as helmets
Treated like bikes: No insurance, diving test or license
Able to use minor roads/cycles lanes/shared cycle and pedestrian lanes

Which is much in line with a lot Europe and Ireland where they are in changing the law imminently.

Police should be going after the idiots and leave the sensible riders alone until it is sorted as there are bigger priorities.

This is heading our way later this year and will be formed from the results from the trials (which seem to be largely successful so far)

Recommendations from the transport committee as it stands:

Under 350 watts in power
Speed limited to 15mph
Safety gear such as helmets
Treated like bikes: No insurance, diving test or license
Able to use minor roads/cycles lanes/shared cycle and pedestrian lanes

Which is much in line with a lot Europe and Ireland where they are in changing the law imminently.

Police should be going after the idiots and leave the sensible riders alone until it is sorted as there are bigger priorities.
How will 'minor roads' be defined?

Having worked in live events and with an understanding of personal liability it is necessary.

Have had two bike stacks this year :facepalm: one where I went into the front wing of a Range Rover. It was his fault in that case but I don't want that kind of exposure/cost.

Bottom line is some people are selfish cunts. Said cunts drive/cycle/scoot/walk when distracted/tired/drunk/angry/stupid/etc.

The reason I bang this drum is that a car, van, lorry will hurt/kill you a lot worse than the other options due to weight and size. We live a small country and our road infrastructure is built around cars which is a poor show.

If only we had an affordable and decent public transport network things could be different. My 45 minute commute was over £5k a year. Rural transport is expensive and unreliable, I fully understand why people want/need a car

Of only eh...
I'd consider accepting compulsory bike insurance in exchange for compulsory speed limiters in cars. As in, they limit the speed to whatever the speed limit is at that location.

Of only eh...
I think public transport should be free. Unfortunately, Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein were of the same mind, so I may well be wrong.

I'd consider accepting compulsory bike insurance in exchange for compulsory speed limiters in cars. As in, they limit the speed to whatever the speed limit is at that location.
Yup

I'd consider a lot of things if we had a decent government and better society. Here we are though.

I'd definitely go with that.
I would happily consider those two proposals as well, provided additional legislation and a thorough rethink regarding the established acceptable behaviour, responsibilities and burden of liability of pedestrians in this country was also brought about.

Including first and foremost the introduction of jaywalking laws, with penalties for infractors, if not necessary on every stretch of any street, at least on busier, wider roads where traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings are immediately available.

As well as a new, and undoubtedly live-saving, official approach to sensible pedestrian behaviour, such as looking before crossing a street regardless of where the burden of liability may lie.

There. That’s a fair compromise by all, no? :)

I would happily consider those two proposals as well, provided additional legislation and a thorough rethink regarding the established acceptable behaviour, responsibilities and burden of liability of pedestrians in this country was also brought about.

Including first and foremost the introduction of jaywalking laws, with penalties for infractors. As well as a new, and undoubtedly live-saving, official approach to sensible pedestrian behaviour, such as looking before crossing a street regardless of where the burden of liability may lie.

There. That’s a fair compromise by all, no? :)
Let's not forget lengthy prison sentences for dangerous/reckless walking, for people glued to their phones when they should be looking where they're going, instead of walking out in front of cars.

Let's not forget lengthy prison sentences for dangerous/reckless walking, for people glued to their phones when they should be looking where they're going, instead of walking out in front of cars.
If a pedestrian causes a cyclist or motor vehicle user to take emergency evasive action because of their reckless lemming-like behaviour that results in a crash and damage and or injury to anyone else, they should certainly be financially and/ or criminally liable.

Back
Top Bottom