Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Electric scooters

Serious answer - are you really willing to risk £500 being confiscated? Isn’t it better to wait for the their inevitable legalisation?

The Met seized more than 500 scooters in a week.
Weird, haven't the police got anything better to do? I'm in favour of stopping people on that super fast ones (they're never going to be legal) but surely the 15mph max ones will be legal at some point anyway so why bother?

In the long term, in London, improvements to cycle infrastructure will help cyclists , e-cyclists and e-scooter riders. So we should all speak as one voice.

They need to legalise them sooner rather than later, only then will a code of acceptable riding behaviour come about right now they are up and down on pavements, wrong way up roads etc., which is scary for a lot of peds and other road users.

Any recommendations for around £500?

To be honest I would not recommend buying one right now but if you want to join us illegal riders Pure Air's new range would do the job nicely

They need to legalise them sooner rather than later, only then will a code of acceptable riding behaviour come about right now they are up and down on pavements, wrong way up roads etc., which is scary for a lot of peds and other road users.
Do you think legalising them is going to stop cunts riding them? Bikes have been legal forever but they're still mostly ridden by cunts.

Do you think legalising them is going to stop cunts riding them? Bikes have been legal forever but they're still mostly ridden by cunts.
The one good thing about them is that they appear to have taken the place of those little unlicenced motor bikes scrotes used to illegally ride around the streets and across parks.
Less noisy.

Do you need a licence now then? Only on the roads? Or were these taken of trouble makers using them aggressively?
Private scooters are illegal to use except on private land. Only scooters that are in the trials are legal to use on roads and cycling infrastructure and yes you need a driving licence.

Also if you do anything naughty on a hire scooter you can get points on your licence so don't think about taking one back from the pub as that can be a drink driving charge and automatic disqualification

Legalise and license plates.

The only way to police the things effectively.

I also understand that they're looking at technology to prevent anyone riding on pavements - believe it when I see it.

Voi launches e-scooter trial of computer vision technology designed to prevent pavement riding

Last edited:
Scooters are something that people who don't want to cycle can use instead of a car. They are loads less harmful than cars and they are loads more affordable. In some ways (eg. for carrying on trains) they are better than bikes or e-bikes. Why are we in this stupid position that they are sold everywhere yet technically illegal, and we have police confiscating e-scooters whilst we have 20mph speed limits for road vehicles basically entirely unenforced in most places? Why are we talking about computer vision technology for scooters instead of getting on with fitting cars with speed limiters (like e-scooters already have)?
Make them legal on roads and illegal on pavements. Confiscate or fine users when they are using them on pavements or over-riding the speed limiters, and leave alone those people who are using them on roadways as an alternative to more harmful forms of transport.

Why are we talking about computer vision technology for scooters instead of getting on with fitting cars with speed limiters (like e-scooters already have)?
Make them legal on roads and illegal on pavements. Confiscate or fine users when they are using them on pavements or over-riding the speed limiters, and leave alone those people who are using them on roadways as an alternative to more harmful forms of transport.

Re computer vision technology - because they are currently widely abused on pavements, and it seems both the industry and pedestrians would benefit from this stopping? In the absence of massively increasing policing I don't see how you're going to stop them being ridden on pavements?

Re computer vision technology - because they are currently widely abused on pavements, and it seems both the industry and pedestrians would benefit from this stopping? In the absence of massively increasing policing I don't see how you're going to stop them being ridden on pavements?
I don't really see that it's any different from stopping people riding motorbikes or indeed pedal bikes on pavements. So long as they are speed-limited, I don't see why they can't essentially be treated the same way a bike is, and be expected to follow the same rules.

If the computer vision thing is actually feasible - ok. I doubt it is though. And if it's something that significantly increases the cost, then you destroy one of their main advantages.

I'm not sure because there's a problem with pedal-bikes you ignore the problem with e-scooters? I can't say I've seen too many motobikes on pavements. If there's an effective way to eliminate a problem why wouldn't you do it? I'm not too bothered by the increase in price if it helps create a safe environment.

'... expected to follow the same rules' - yeah - except that there's no effective policing now at all.

The longer I live outside the U.K. the more convinced I am that most of the British population are cunts.
We have rental scooters and bikes here in Rio and, by and large, everyone gets on fine.
I, being a cunt, I suppose, cycle to the rowing club in the early mornings ignoring traffic lights and one way streets, often under the noses of our illustrious Polícia Militar, with impunity. Motorists, the kings of the road, don’t get apoplectic about a little rule breaking.
When I lived in the Netherlands there are millions of bikes and nothing like the uk’s stupid behaviours.

Legalise and license plates.

The only way to police the things effectively.

I also understand that they're looking at technology to prevent anyone riding on pavements - believe it when I see it.

Voi launches e-scooter trial of computer vision technology designed to prevent pavement riding

Fuck that a million times over, yes these things are naturally going to be tracked or whatever but this is a bit too big brothery for my liking. If there is a problem with people riding on the pavement then dedicate some resources to policing it - even better dedicate some resources to actually making a nicer place to ride the scooter. I don't want my scooter losing power or beeping or giving me a fine or whatever while I'm trying to concentrate on not getting squashed by a tipper truck because the council have patched a bit of road with some temporary asphalt that triggers the system.

I don't want to help some bailiff repossess some poor persons car because the scooter company realise they can make money selling the data from the camera feeds.

Worst example I've seen was a suited and booted bloke with a satchel slung over his shoulder, headphones on, riding one on a dark street in traffic. He had no lights and very little awareness of those around him.

Back
Top Bottom