Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

EDL watch

To be fair I only caught a bit of it so I suppose it could have got better later on, I'm not optimistic on that front though.

Aye. She definitely doesn't look like a fucking John Pilger, or Robert Fisk so I'm not exactly expecting searing critiques or amazing insights. haha.

Aye. She definitely doesn't look like a fucking John Pilger, or Robert Fisk so I'm not exactly expecting searing critiques or amazing insights. haha.

Just a shitload of free publicity and no mention of any opposition to the EDL outside of the muslim fundamentalist brigade. Which frames it in a "fundamentalists vs EDL" way, which will benefit the EDL, coz even they look good compared to those nutters

Any more responses to coverage of the EDL on that documentary tonight? I've been at work most of the evening but would be interested in anyone's take on it.

It showed some Muslims are racist radical cunts, it showed some where nice people, it showed some people didn’t know fuck all about Islam but stood against it, it showed that thick cunts like Tommy think Sharia means just cutting off hands and sleeping with kids. other than Tommy or Kev they didn’t speak to any other EDL members.

the EDL seem to be hyped up about Dispatches on Monday now, but I can't honestly think for the last time Dispatches did a show about how cool something was and that you should totally join like.

but I can't honestly think for the last time Dispatches did a show about how cool something was and that you should totally join like.

As I pointed out a few pages back though, it's not as simple as that.

One man's 'complete knob head' is another man's 'true patriot'. I think the only way a programme like that would do the EDL any harm would be if it dropped the politics altogether and concentrated solely on issues like the merchandise scam, the number of paedophiles and other sex offenders among their ranks and the growing number of EDL supporters in jail for a variety of violent crimes, most of whom are ignored by the leadership.

john x

As I pointed out a few pages back though, it's not as simple as that.

One man's 'complete knob head' is another man's 'true patriot'. I think the only way a programme like that would do the EDL any harm would be if it dropped the politics altogether and concentrated solely on issues like the merchandise scam, the number of paedophiles and other sex offenders among their ranks and the growing number of EDL supporters in jail for a variety of violent crimes, most of whom are ignored by the leadership.

john x

Will have to wait and see then, i was thinking it would be more along the lines of they are really racist thugs, nicked for this and that, shots of them getting pissed/coked up and shouting racist shit. Either way im hoping it will be more ballanced than last nights show which we never saw and EDL members on.

Caught about 10 minutes of it - from what I saw she basically took everyone, the EDL and the loons they claim to oppose included, at their word. If what I saw is anything to go by its impact on the EDL, if there is any, will be positive.

Yeah that sums it up for me - she really bizarrely took everyone at their word - even giving really impressed looks at edl et al claims to want to really all get on etc.

Watched it with my housemate who is edl's typical target group and sad to say he thought stephen lennon came across really well (they seemed to make him out as some sort of martyr in luton)

Thought it was weird how she made a big thing about how she was friends with him and then when they finally met up he seemed to be reluctant to acknowledge that. The most telling point was probably when she congratulated him on saying that there were good muslims - saying she'd never heard him say that before.

When you consider they are basically a fascist organisation its scary how much time they were given to get across there view point really.

They're getting far to much academic and documentary attention for what they are.

If this is what theyre like with the EDL they must have been going mad for the NF and BNP back in the day (?).

Yeah that sums it up for me - she really bizarrely took everyone at their word - even giving really impressed looks at edl et al claims to want to really all get on etc.

Watched it with my housemate who is edl's typical target group and sad to say he thought stephen lennon came across really well (they seemed to make him out as some sort of martyr in luton)

Thought it was weird how she made a big thing about how she was friends with him and then when they finally met up he seemed to be reluctant to acknowledge that. The most telling point was probably when she congratulated him on saying that there were good muslims - saying she'd never heard him say that before.

When you consider they are basically a fascist organisation its scary how much time they were given to get across there view point really.
If she's a documentary maker then I wouldnt put this effort on a CV. When you think of the docca makers in the world especially women who go under cover in represssive states for their story then she should hang her head in shame...she's still fit as fuck but thats beside the point.

If she's a documentary maker then I wouldnt put this effort on a CV. When you think of the docca makers in the world especially women who go under cover in represssive states for their story then she should hang her head in shame...she's still fit as fuck but thats beside the point.
shes is definitely fit as fuck -and not sure theres any other reason shes on telly!

EDL more than ever.

395407_304515986272438_100001421166084_779504_470882145_n.jpg

shes is definitely fit as fuck -and not sure theres any other reason shes on telly!
I hated her. She was outraged that those muslim lads called British soldiers murderers and baby killers. She actually thinks they are heroes and basically said it. Also when that young guy was saying that the americans are going around installing puppet rulers she said they are fighting a war on terrorism. What a fucking cunt!

Is there any point in complaining to the BBC? And should we now consider Stacey Dooley a pro-EDL individual, and as such a legitimate target for anti-fascist campaigning and activism?

Also, anyone know the details of the producers of the show? Probably worth circulating them around, someone had to have seen it and given it a green light.

Better to let this program slip into deserved obscurity than give it the oxygen of publicity through notoriety,that complaining will provide

Is there any point in complaining to the BBC? And should we now consider Stacey Dooley a pro-EDL individual, and as such a legitimate target for anti-fascist campaigning and activism?

I understand what you're saying but I'd like to think our campaigning and antifascist activism may be better served by establishing better structures and links with each other....or helping embed antifascism within working class communities that the EDL and BNP are currently attempting to recruit from.

well naturally intersol32 I would agree with every word of that, but on the other hand if the BBC is consistently giving a recruiting platform to these bastards are we supposed to just do nothing and hope for the best? This woman and that documentary has done more to promote the EDL in recent months than a thousand high street stalls and shitty marches could've hoped to have done, and no-one would object to a counter-demo at a high-street stall or demo would they?

If the BBC is going to give an uncritical platform to the EDL then that's a massive problem and we must deal with it.

how many people saw it? it was only on bbc3 so can't have been many outside of those who already had an interest one way or another. forget it, it was pants on every level.

kinell she obvs didn't have Kate Aidie's wardrobe assistant. A BBC programme on extremism, delivered by an extremely thick person :rolleyes:

AFAIA Stacey Dooley's CV isn't what one might expect of an investigative reporter, so it's hardly a surprise. Planning to watch it a bit later.

It showed some Muslims are racist radical cunts, it showed some where nice people, it showed some people didn’t know fuck all about Islam but stood against it, it showed that thick cunts like Tommy think Sharia means just cutting off hands and sleeping with kids. other than Tommy or Kev they didn’t speak to any other EDL members.

the EDL seem to be hyped up about Dispatches on Monday now, but I can't honestly think for the last time Dispatches did a show about how cool something was and that you should totally join like.

ta bob, that means i dont have to sit thru the pile of keech!

how many people saw it? it was only on bbc3 so can't have been many outside of those who already had an interest one way or another. forget it, it was pants on every level.

Exactly what i thought. One hour of my life i won't get back. If somebody gets the heads up on something similar coming up soon, please keep it to yourself.

'likes' went up 38 on their Facebook page after the show.

12 months ago they would have gone up hundreds if they were on TV, even when shown in a bad light.

I'm going to say that the Luton doc was a good thing presented by a clearly non middle class woman makes a refreshing change, I don't care about her analysis or if some people think it was a recruiting tool for the EDL who number dozens at most. The fact is this there is an elephant in the room and hopefully Muslims and Christians :)hmm:) watch this and get some empathy for the other because both sides have VALID worries frankly and the more its hidden the more the scum control the streets, although no one saw it cos it was on bbc3.

Back
Top Bottom